IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

1 hour ago, daniel.inforede said:

Phil thanks again. I just completed another 20 boxed print records for the requested period. I found two more different brands of printing that I will be sending you soon.

My intention this year is to open all my sealed games (approximately 120) so we will have many more records to include.

Please do not open sealed games. There is big money right now and I don't want to see you lose out because of research. Get your games graded with WATAGAMES and you should make a small fortune.

7 hours ago, Philflound said:

Please do not open sealed games. There is big money right now and I don't want to see you lose out because of research. Get your games graded with WATAGAMES and you should make a small fortune.

Phil, you're right about the investment, so being able to certify the games is even better. But I always ask myself: Why and for whom? For those who inherit or buy at substantial value to keep them closed in their homes?

Let me present this to you from another angle, about arriving at a moment in life and having the opportunity after 40 years to live this emotion of opening sealed games.

I will do this for my pleasure, for having this right. I don't want to encourage others to do the same. But I want to have this memory in my life, please don't take this emotion away from me!

So I can answer the initial question. Why and for whom?
For those who inherit or buy my games will know that they made me very happy and even helped to preserve Atari's history.

Hugs dear friend!

• Like 1

I'm glad you will get enjoyment. I'm sort of going through the same thing and will continue for months. Almost all of my personal belongings are packed away from moving and have been for years. I'm finally getting the opportunity to open these boxes and it feels like Christmas. I know of much of what I own, but sometimes I open a box that I have no idea what is inside and when I see the contents, I think to myself "Oh, I remember this!" or even "I have no idea when I bought this or even had it". 

I'm a little frustrated with the advent of WATA for the fact there are many "investors" coming into the hobby just for the money. These people have no clue about video games. But I was also told that any hobby which begins having 3rd party graders join in will always draw these kinds of people. They have no love for the hobby and don't realize the amount of time that collectors spend dedicating and enjoying it. We are the people to enjoy it. Why I get upset is that now if I try to acquire certain items, I have to pay much more for said items. The good thing is that those who want to get into "collecting" the games can do so for relatively no money as there are many available copies, even complete in box, that are available for relatively little money. 

With doing this website, I get to purchase complete in box games still at reasonable prices, even though I'm paying up to double what I used to. I always tried and still try to price complete games fair. I remember selling most of the CIB games for $10-15. Now some of those same games are $25-40. I don't make a fortune, but it helps my research and gets me a little extra money to live. I heard the first graded Atari 2600 sealed Spider-Man in 9.8 by Wata auctioned off at $9000. Yes, you saw that right. The thing is that this was the highest graded and 1st to be put on the market. As others go on the market, the price will come down. But they still command a reasonable price.

The thing right now is that no one knows how rare some of these variants are. Though some games are very common. I can think of many of those silver box Atari Corp issues that are extremely common from titles like Jungle Hunt, Kangaroo, Galaxian, Ms. Pac-Man, Battlezone, and others and also many red box commons that you continually see available brand new sealed. Thing is, some of those same titles have some really rare Atari Corp variations. I never put a rarity on the boxes. Most of all because someone would have to sit there and track each and every variation out there and keep the data. 99% of what is being sold isn't being noted as to which variation it is.

Anyway, enjoy your collection as you see fit. You spent the money and if you get the pleasure of opening the games, all I ask is try to preserve the condition as best as possible. And thanks for everything you've provided me. You've been a big help. I'm going to try and get much done with the site this summer. I've said this many times before, and I get into these ruts where I do lots of work. If I was shut down during the whole Covid thing, I would have gotten tons done, but my company was open the entire time. I own tons of items that I need to sell online. I have a good 10,000+ comics I would like to part with, the video games, trading cards, toys and what not. And of course I got the new house and a wife I've been with for almost 20 years. So my spare time is limited as to what I can get accomplished and how to split it up. 

I've been trying to keep up with everything Daniel has been providing along with adding new items myself from research. The Sears cartridges and boxes are a priority. When I finally get to open and have access to my collection, whatever Sears boxes I own I'll finally get to scan the sides and get more photos on the site. So again, be patient and if anyone can help, I appreciate it. Thanks again.

Phil

• Like 2

Decided to try and finish the Sears cartridges and boxes. I was looking at Superman and discovered there are actually 2 box variations. It's hard enough to find any copy, let alone for the completist to get both.

One is a standard flap style with the warranty notice in paragraph form and 2 line copyright notice below that.

The second is a glued flap style with the warranty notice in 2 columns and 3 line copyright notice below that.

I'm having someone fix my scans so when I get them back, I'll actually update this immediately on the site, even though I'd be going out of order. I think this one is important.

Phil

EDIT: It's up for all to see

Edited by Philflound

Sorry, got this reversed with the warranty

One is a standard flap style with the warranty notice in 2 columns and 2 line copyright notice below that.

The second is a glued flap style with the warranty notice in paragraph form and 3 line copyright notice below that.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Ok, been a month since I last posted and here are the updates:

1. Finished what I have for Sears carts and boxes. I finally got access to my personal collection, so I'll probably try and add side box scans for what I have.

2. Added Playaround carts. Will most likely add the boxes this weekend.

3. I've been getting some new and updated info for the Atari released games from Daniel. He's trickling me info to keep me from being overwhelmed, so you'll see small updates, or maybe you won't notice, but there are small updates. I also got all my extra manuals in order, so eventually I'll be working on those too. Things like printers/dates on the tiny flaps are being added, so though you don't think it's a big deal, every little detail helps us. Daniel and I are trying to coordinate and organize/figure out release dates for each variation. This is a monumental project, and you will probably not see it for some time. This will probably be a separate project not on my website.

4. I updated the General Activision Variations page explaining about the manuals and how they were released. I mention Activision having 3 different headquarters. I may try and do some research as to when they actually moved headquarters to give a better timeline. Go to this page on my site for more details.

5. Not sure if I mentioned this at all, but I'm going to try and tackle the Activision manuals next. Funny thing is that I didn't believe I did too many of the manuals from the 3rd party companies, but clicking on the companies, I see I actually did get a lot done. Though most of these only have 1 manual which made them easier, at least more stuff got done. Right now I just added Boxing, which has 7 manual variations. The 8th not on the list is Boxing/La Boxe which I can't find any scans of and don't own a copy myself. If anyone has this and can get me scans and details as I put in my descriptions. Manuals, especially Activision, will have more details on most. The earlier released games from 1980-1 will probably have the most variations, whereas late released games in 1983-4 may have just 1 and possibly a black and white or foreign version. I'm noting things like company address, Atari copyright info on back or lack of, Rev numbers, and even the "Look for other Activision..." notices on the back. These types of items were changed or removed. The other big notification is Activision started as a TM trademark and eventually became (R) registered. I did notice with Boxing that my theory on release goes out of order for some reason. My guess is that they had more than one printer and where one changed the Activision address and TM, the other didn't and gave the old Address and left the TM instead of the (R). Again, just a theory. 

If anyone has anything to add or correct me on, please let me know. Send proof please. I can only work with scans, not on word. Word is what got the Giant List with much misinformation in the first place, which I had to either eliminate or fix.

Again, thanks Daniel and any others who have been helping. I'm trying to put a lot of time and effort with the site and get as much done and accurate as possible.

Phil

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

At this time I'm unsure why I'm missing some of the Activision manuals on my list. Any manual on the list with a size length and width meant I physically had it in my hand. I've gone through all the manuals I thought I had in stock and am missing some of the black and white and foreign versions that I should possess. I'll try and work on them again as I didn't get very far, but there will be holes that I won't have scans of until I either acquire them from someone else, or "find" them in a box somewhere.

I got up early this morning because during the week I wake up early. Lots of things were going through my head, so it was difficult to fall back to sleep. One of which was the original Giant Variation List I had acquired from newsgroups. I remember this list because I had my father print it out at the time in the mid-1990s. I remember there being what I considered a large amount of variations of both cartridges and boxes. The list was an amazing 56 or 58 pages long, which was fun to carry around with my DP price guide. I thought I may have had that original print out, but most likely I threw it away. Anyway, cleaning the list up and adding manuals and other paperwork, and of course finding and documenting new cartridge and box variations, the list has considerably grown. I may have even shrunk the font size down some. At the moment, the list is 159 pages long and I have some new entries to add thanks to Daniel. All I can say is "WOW". We've come a long way. I'll probably get the most up to date list on the site in the pdf format that I've been putting up there within the next couple of days. I just want to finish adding and updating a few items.

So like I say most of the time, thanks for your help and if you can add anything or fill in gaps on the site, please help out.

Phil

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Phil, we have made great strides in the variations of boxes and cartridges.
I just finished modeling the new project, now let's resume the checklists and move on to the missing items.
Remembering that I have received many contributions, I would like to thank all collaborators and one especially to you!

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, chas10e said:

Shot ya a PM with an '87 grey Basketball printed in Hong Kong ( not listed on your sight )

Got it! Thanks.

Haven't updated much at all the past couple of weeks. Been busy again with some personal stuff. Only so much time in the day. I'll try and do more this weekend. I was working on the Activision manuals and discovered for some reason I don't have some of the b&W and foreign ones that I should have had in my possession since I have specifics on size. The only time I do that is if I physically measure them. I'm a bit confused about this.

• 11 months later...

Wow, a year since I posted. If you haven't been in the 7800 forum, I've been posting that I'm working on the 7800 variation list, which I'm moving quite well. My target finish date was the end of this month. It may be a few weeks past that, but I'll try my best. There is a lot of work involved, much more than I anticipated.

Anyway at the moment I'm waiting on some fixed scans to continue. I was contacted by someone about helping me with the 2600 with a Congo Bongo cartridge. I never finished the carts/boxes for a few 3rd party software, Sega being one of them, Telesys, Starpath and Xonox the others if I recall correctly. I decided that I will work on these, starting with Sega. It's high time that I finish at least the carts and boxes for all 2600 games on my site. Manuals are another headache.

Speaking of manuals, I'm going full force with the 7800 and am documenting EVERYTHING for that system. This will include all manuals,since the library is rather small and there aren't too many variations. Though I'll be missing scans of several manuals, especially the German and French ones, they'll be documented on the list as existing. If anyone has some free time and can help out with missing scans, or if you possibly have a new variation not on my list, I'd appreciate it. Just email me at pdispenza@verizon.net. There is no real site on the internet that has in-depth data for 7800 variations. The link to the 7800 page is here.

http://www.videogamevariations.com/Atari7800.htm

Thanks.

Phil

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the Telegames carts. With Astroblast, it looks like there are 2 types of labels. One is a wraparound single label. The one here on AA looks like the main and end labels are separate. Can anyone confirm this? Also, if this is true, are the separate labels white, not grey? Third, does anyone have manual scans of these games. I'm coming up empty on the majority. I'd like to get the Telegames section finished, but it may have to wait. Please help. Thanks.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 9:35 PM, Philflound said:

The one here on AA looks like the main and end labels are separate.

IIRC, these labels are a bit metallic.  The AA one looks scanned in and the curved part of the label appears black, but is in fact a wrap around label.  The image is also cropped a bit sloppily with some of the background left along to top of the image.

• Like 1

I'm trying to work on the Super Huey and Xenophobe manuals. My problem is that AA only has 17 pages. Of course that's not correct. I own only sealed copies of this game. Does anyone have a manual and can tell me how many pages are there (18? 20?) and which pages are missing. I'm assuming blank ones are. I'd like to get this title finished. 

Also, is Touchdown Football manual 14 pages or does it have 2 blank pages to make it 16? I'm putting it up as 14.

Edited by Philflound

I'm complete now with everything I have in my possession and in my database. The pdf file for everyone to view that contains everything including explanations of how each item is described, which is now at the top of the Atari 7800 home page. I'll also try and put up the list of missing items, should mostly be manuals. If I can, I'll list end labels missing. I missed my target by a week, which I'm happy I got it done that fast. 

As I've mentioned before, if you have something I don't have documented, or you own something I'm missing scans of, please get them to me. If I own scans of items that look crappy due to getting whatever I can, and you can replace them with better scans, also please get them to me. I'm here for proof, but it's great to have nice visuals to see.

Thanks to everyone who has helped. I'm sure there are variations out there not on the list. I'll try and keep up with it the best I can, but I'm sure it's pretty comprehensive.

Phil

I didn't realize I was in the 2600 topic and not the 7800. When I said I'm finished with everything, I meant the 7800. So feel free to check out the 7800 also and if you can help fill in holes or find variations I don't have, please send me scans and info.

I'll be back working on the 2600 real soon and hopefully will get through the rest of the 3rd party released games.

Phil

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to give an update. I still don't have my computer with all my work. Lots of things have been happening from hitting an animal or something with my car (not fixed yet) and a pipe leaking in my house (no water now, also not fixed yet). I haven't had a good end of year. We'll see how 2022 begins. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone I have not abandoned anything.

Phil