IGNORED

GoSub for Virtual Boy

atari2600land

In case you didn't know, I'm working on GoSub, this time for the Virtual Boy. I'm going to make it 2MB, hopefully room for 32 mazes. I don't know how to add sound, or flip the sprite so it's facing the right way, but here it is so far. 17 mazes. To get a level select screen, press SELECT at the title screen, or start at level 1 by pressing START. You can play this using the RealityBoy emulator, or use FlashBoy. If you decide to use FlashBoy, tell me how it runs on it.

post-9475-1247624008_thumb.png

post-9475-1247624015_thumb.png

gosubvb071409.zip

I rented a VirtualBoy system back in 1995 when it came out. I played it for 4 hours. It gave me the worst headache of my entire life, so bad that I had to miss work the next day. The problem with the system was the focus point felt like it was only 4 inches from your face. Try holding your hand 4 inches from your face and focusing on it. For me, that's painful, and I have 20/20 vision.

On a modern LCD shutter system, hopefully the simulated depth perception isn't as painful.

That said, it's cool you're writing a game for this system. The more obscure the system is, the more it needs game writers. And with only 770k systems produced in its short life, the VB is one of the more obscure systems out there.

Edited by TROGDOR

Awesome stuff dude.

The Virtual Boy is a nice piece of hardware and just wasn't very well thought out as a portable system or one that won't cause cateracts. :D

Nice game though the graphics are top notch and are like Nintendo quality for that beast.

If I only had a VB. :D The closest thing I had was the R-Zone. god, I loved that thing. Had Indy500 and Batman & Robin. damn...I wish we'd have kept that thing.

Edited by Jinroh

Awesome stuff dude.

The Virtual Boy is a nice piece of hardware and just wasn't very well thought out as a portable system or one that won't cause cateracts. :D

Nice game though the graphics are top notch and are like Nintendo quality for that beast.

If I only had a VB. :D The closest thing I had was the R-Zone. god, I loved that thing. Had Indy500 and Batman & Robin. damn...I wish we'd have kept that thing.

Thanks for the compliments. I've added a new level and changed the wall graphics to coral. You can download the latest VB file here.

post-9475-1248495644_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I doubt it. There are other homebrew VB games ("Blox" and "VUE Snake" by Christian Radke, for example) that didn't get a release, either. I'll let you know in this thread otherwise. If you want to play this on a real Virtual Boy, the only option I can think of is a Flash Boy (a flash card for the Virtual Boy.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Added level 27. The link is now in my signature. I plan to have 32 levels, if there is enough space. So all I need to do is add 5 more levels, a "congratulations" screen, test the levels I didn't test before, and it should be finished. I plan to finish it by year's end, and, if it gets released (a BIG "if"), it will next year sometime.