IGNORED

Interest check : SaveKey utility cart

GroovyBee

4 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I can make a few quick & dirty USB SaveKey dumpers, if anyone is interested.  I think I have all the parts laying around, writing a quick Windows tool is pretty braindead.  Maybe I'll make one, when I am bored.

What went through my mind is a diy version, arduino based talking on (virtual) serial port.

btw does anybody knows of a homebrew rom to detect/check the savekey on the ATari 2600?

2 hours ago, Danjovic said:

a homebrew rom to detect/check the savekey on the ATari 2600?

Of course, not the tool proposed in the topic, just a simple check (of its presence on the I2C bus) and a brief count of its usage slots (considering that the first byte of any 64byte slot will be different from 0xFF from a blank eeprom.

22 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I can make a few quick & dirty USB SaveKey dumpers, if anyone is interested.  I think I have all the parts laying around, writing a quick Windows tool is pretty braindead.  Maybe I'll make one, when I am bored.

I would find such a device extremely handy myself. If you make any, I would like to purchase one. 

On 8/4/2009 at 3:52 PM, GroovyBee said:

I've not got that far yet into the project yet. Its just an "is it a desirable item" query at the moment. The only part I have working so far is the SaveKey data viewer.

I know about the 7800 so its an easier development route. However, given enough interest I could go for the 2600 cart solution.

When making Atari 2600 games I'm always pining for some way to make custom data on my PC and transfer it to a console.  Would love to go beyond storing scores to custom levels and open world aspirations :)

On 2/15/2022 at 7:10 AM, Gemintronic said:

When making Atari 2600 games I'm always pining for some way to make custom data on my PC and transfer it to a console.  Would love to go beyond storing scores to custom levels and open world aspirations :)

You know he is long gone and the post is from 2009, right? :)

SaveKeyDumper: Super easy, I just have to make a quick & dirty command line tool and make up some commands to interpret on the micro to talk I2C to the EEPROM, trying to make it as easy as possible, while keeping it dirt cheap.  I forgot I had already built a SaveKey tool into my MCP2.0 devkit. :dunce:

IMG-5810.jpg

• Like 3