IGNORED

Trashmania - A 4k game

Animan

Any luck finding the source code?

It would be really interesting if there were just a handful of small tweaks made to give it a few finishing touches.

-John

P.S. I like the label!

Well, I decided just to use the source code that is featured here. I can't remember adding too much to the game anyway.

I believe I have the final version done. I might make a change or two later on, but this version can stand on it's own just fine.

Changes:

-I probably cut down 500 bytes to 1KB in game code (which is made up for by the updates and fixes). That code was UGLY.

-Timer has been removed completely. I fixed the problems, but I felt the whole concept detracted from the game.

-The score is now used to show "Trash" and "Mania" back and fourth. Neat thing I threw in there.

-Added some new scenes to replace the duplicate city buildings.

-Added a failure feature. When you pick up the trash can, and get hit by the enemy, you lose the trash can, and have to go back and get it. If you lose the trash can 3 times, it's game over!

-When you pick up the trash can, the enemy go's the opposite direction, making it much easier to jump over him when you are going left. However, the 4th update more than makes up for this.

-An easter egg. Find it! But don't spoil it for everyone. Don't even show a picture of what it is. You might not get it, anyway.

Thank you to all that enjoyed this game in the past, and to the.golden.ax for giving me the motivation to fix this game. Even when it wasn't finished, people loved it. That says something to me.

trashmania.bin

Edited by Animan
  • Like 1

The controls/jumping are much improved! The arrows are a VERY nice touch. I think an important aspect of Atari games is the pick-up-and-play factor. With indicators like the arrow this game improved that factor exponentially.

Jumping and physics always seems to be a sticking point in all the Batari examples I've seen. If you can't share the source code could you whip up a stripped version with just yer awesome jumping code? I'd really like to learn how you got it so smooth.

P.S. The label rocks too! Claymation for the win! :)

Edited by theloon

Like I said in chat a while ago, the little red thing needs to be adjusted. For example, if the red thing is on the left side of the screen and you move right to the next screen, it will be on top of you and you won't have time to react. It's that way whether you're going left or right. It either needs to start on the opposite side from where you enter a screen or in the middle of the screen or anywhere that is not between the player's legs.

Like I said in chat a while ago, the little red thing needs to be adjusted. For example, if the red thing is on the left side of the screen and you move right to the next screen, it will be on top of you and you won't have time to react. It's that way whether you're going left or right. It either needs to start on the opposite side from where you enter a screen or in the middle of the screen or anywhere that is not between the player's legs.

I felt the update fixed that, it at least made it less luck and more skill. What you're mentioning I don't think is a problem since you can time entering the left side of the screen based on the red object.

What you're mentioning I don't think is a problem since you can time entering the left side of the screen based on the red object.

If you want a similar example, play Keystone Kapers. An object starting at a fresh position makes it seem like you're really in a new location. Leaving the red thing wherever it was on the last screen makes the game seem raw and unfinished, as if you're playing an early beta version.

What you're mentioning I don't think is a problem since you can time entering the left side of the screen based on the red object.

If you want a similar example, play Keystone Kapers. An object starting at a fresh position makes it seem like you're really in a new location. Leaving the red thing wherever it was on the last screen makes the game seem raw and unfinished, as if you're playing an early beta version.

Well, I am leaving it the way it is right now, but sometime in the future I might add a feature for it to do what you explained (*cough* gameplay variation).

I talked with Al, and he says after he gets the forum upgrade done, he'll check out the game. He also told me to start writing up the manual, which shouldn't be too hard. It seems people are liking the label, so I might stick to it, unless anyone can do better.

Jumping and physics always seems to be a sticking point in all the Batari examples I've seen. If you can't share the source code could you whip up a stripped version with just yer awesome jumping code? I'd really like to learn how you got it so smooth.

I might do that sometime when I have some spare time on my hands.

Oh, and one other thing. I live near a game store called GameAttack, and they sell vintage games and new games. At one time they used to carry Battlekid (NES homebrew) there, so I might be able to talk to them and see if they can sell the game there. Although Al is probably going to do the carts, so I don't know how it would all work out.

Edited by Animan

Decided to try my hand at doing my own label. I used to do a lot of stop motion animation, so I have tons of clay laying around. This turned out nicer than I thought it would...

I like it. It is original and works well with the game. Very nice job.

Thank you. I have been considering getting back into claymation for a long time, but I am happy programming right now.

Anybody find the easter egg yet?

Again, don't spoil it. Nobody likes spoilers, right :P ?

Al wrote back today, and is making me a one off Melody. I'll be checking out the final run on real hardware.

AX

Show me some pics, and maybe even a video when you get it.

I also am considering doing a "commercial" using claymation, considering the positive reception the label has gotten.

The latest version is great. It incorporates a lot of good stuff.. enemy moving opposite direction, etc.

What's the easter egg about? Is it a big egg or just something little like color changing on game over screen?

It's a hidden message shown where the logo would be. Nothing really big or anything. It can mean whatever you want it to mean.

Edited by Animan

How about a lives indicator somewhere?

Also, is this a bug? When the enemy enters from the right side of the screen, he enters a block too far to the left. The playfield extends one further to the right than he enters. This throws me off sometimes. When he enters from the left side of screen it's fine.

Edited by yuppicide

How about a lives indicator somewhere?

Also, is this a bug? When the enemy enters from the right side of the screen, he enters a block too far to the left. The playfield extends one further to the right than he enters. This throws me off sometimes. When he enters from the left side of screen it's fine.

I was thinking of adding a lives indicator, but I found I didn't really need.

As for the enemy moving over to the left a bit too much, I was to fix that, but I never got around to doing so. I might fix it when I decide to do an update.

• Like 1