IGNORED

Gathering in Austin?

Albert

I've been thinking of hosting some type of classic gaming get together here in Austin. Would be fun to make an all-day affair of it and get some type of reasonably-sized meeting space where people can bring some systems and items they want to sell, trade, or just show off. Could make it a quarterly affair as well if it works out well. I have plenty of game systems and games I could bring.

Anyone interested?

..Al

I'm in. Of course it's relatively easy for me since I'm in SA. I really liked the gaming expo back in 2003. I've been hoping since then that something similar would be held.

I'd love to do another show like that in the future, but it requires a ton of planning and money (at least to something as large or larger as the previous show). I haven't forgotten about it.

That's not what I'm aiming for here. Something more informal at a space I can get for free (or cheap at least), no admission to get in, a smaller, more informal gathering. And I'd like to actually be able to play games and chat with people. :)

..Al

I'm in. Of course it's relatively easy for me since I'm in SA. I really liked the gaming expo back in 2003. I've been hoping since then that something similar would be held.

I'd love to do another show like that in the future, but it requires a ton of planning and money (at least to something as large or larger as the previous show). I haven't forgotten about it.

That's not what I'm aiming for here. Something more informal at a space I can get for free (or cheap at least), no admission to get in, a smaller, more informal gathering. And I'd like to actually be able to play games and chat with people. :)

..Al

If it ends up costing I'm willing to chip in. I can see where you'd want something more informal. I would guess you spent most of your time manning the both at the expo.

tjb

If it ends up costing I'm willing to chip in. I can see where you'd want something more informal. I would guess you spent most of your time manning the both at the expo.

That's a minor understatement. It was absolutely crazy that day, as I was one of the event's primary organizers, plus I had the AtariAge booth to contend with. I doubt I even spent have my time in the booth, most of it was running around the show putting one fire out after another. I was exhausted at the end of the day and remember becoming testy by the time midnight rolled around (which is when we had to be out of the ballroom at the hotel). It was a great experience overall, but far from relaxing! :D

..Al

Welcome to my world Al... hehe.

In all honesty, it does become easier year after year. Simply because you learn from the mistakes you might have made or didn't realize could happen. This year for the OVGE will be almost like starting over as I need a new batch of exhibitors a new layout design, etc.. etc..

Anybody else out there interested in a gathering? I know Al and I aren't the only Atarians in the South Texas area. I know of a couple here in SA, a couple in Houston (assuming they don't mind the trip to Austin).

tjb

I loved AGE Al, but you're right, it was kind of nuts. It would be more fun to have an Atari get-together at someone's home in Austin, a very VERY informal get-together, where grillin' and gamin' would be the agenda. I'd definitely consider driving or flying down for just such an occasion - after all I've probably made more trips to Texas alone than a dozen other states combined. :D

I loved AGE Al, but you're right, it was kind of nuts. It would be more fun to have an Atari get-together at someone's home in Austin, a very VERY informal get-together, where grillin' and gamin' would be the agenda. I'd definitely consider driving or flying down for just such an occasion - after all I've probably made more trips to Texas alone than a dozen other states combined. :D

I don't have enough space at my place to host such a gathering, which is why I am thinking of getting a small space somewhere we can use. Nothing excessive, just a nice meeting room where we setup a bunch of tables and chairs to setup a bunch of video games and also have some space for trade bait and for items people want to show off. :)

..Al

My neighborhood (Anderson Mill, amld.org) has a community center. I'm not sure how good the rates are, though.

It's a bit confusing to read the chart, but it looks like resident/non-profit rate for a 40-person room is $20/hr (78 person room for $25/hr) plus $15/hr facility attendant fee for the first three hours, then $10+$15/hr. Deposit is $500, 15 minute enter and leave time free, minimum 3 hours on weekends. Also you can add a small room to the big room for $20/$10 extra, and all three for $35/$10 extra.

The small rooms may be no good because they have a dais or a conference table which are specifically (as in losing your deposit) not to be moved.

I'm not sure if the "commercial" rate (twice the non-resident rate, and four times the resident/non-profit rate for the first 3 hours) would apply to a resident or non-profit renter for a reason like people setting up tables to sell their "collectibles", or for charging admission to cover the cost of the room.

http://andersonmill-limited.org/Forms.html

Doing the math, it looks like the 78 person room for 8 hours would be 25*3 + 10*5 + 15*8 = $245. Adding one of the smaller rooms would be 20*3 + 10*5 or $110 more. (total $355)

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

• 11 months later...

Found this old thread. I went to the gaming expo back in 03 and it was fantastic....definetely wish there was more events like that in South/Central Texas. I totally understand Albert's situation. It is a lot of work. Part of my job is setting up job fairs and when dealing with dozens of employers, and literally thousands of attendees, along with meeting space and all the issues with it, setting up events is quite a chore. Maybe one day something can get kicked up again.......

Edited by BadHornet

Found this old thread. I went to the gaming expo back in 03 and it was fantastic....definetely wish there was more events like that in South/Central Texas. I totally understand Albert's situation. It is a lot of work. Part of my job is setting up job fairs and when dealing with dozens of employers, and literally thousands of attendees, along with meeting space and all the issues with it, setting up events is quite a chore. Maybe one day something can get kicked up again.......

Yes, I'd really like to do it again, Austin really deserves an annual event of this nature. The first show was hugely successful, but to do one on a larger scale would require considerably more money up front and more planning. I think we could do one for next year. :)

..Al

I'm all for it and willing to help.

I'd still like to see some informal meet-ups though.

Also, you might want to go to one of these things when they do the next one:

http://www.alamo-sf.org/instacon8/

It's a regional version of "SMOFcon", which is a convention about running sci-fi conventions. There are probably a lot of things about dealing with hotels and convention centers that you could learn from these folks.

And many of them will probably be at Armadillocon last weekend of August up at the Renaissance Hotel. Most of the Armadillcon staff know a lot about this kind of stuff, especially Fred Duarte.

http://www.armadillocon.org/

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

Yes, I'd really like to do it again, Austin really deserves an annual event of this nature. The first show was hugely successful, but to do one on a larger scale would require considerably more money up front and more planning. I think we could do one for next year. :)

..Al

Sounds like a plan....you can definetely throw my name in the hat to help out

• 2 months later...

Count me in, I missed the 2003, but would enjoy something in Austin. Just did the Houston one Friday, and had a blast. If it was in Austin, I know of a bunch of co-workers, and son's friends that would attend. I am not good at organizing, but would be more then happy to volunteer my time.

Emory Lehman