IGNORED

Seller really hates Paypal apparently...

KAZ

I ask seller if they'd accept Paypal, and they responded:

"Hello again, no PayPal and never will..."

So instead they accept: Payingfast or Bidpay.

These both have fees on them, Paypal does not. Do I have a right to be irritated that this seller won't accept a paying method that won't cost me even more than the auction?

I COULD send cash in the mail, and I might consider this option. They are from Canada, and don't accept US money orders either. Is there something messed up about this? Do they get some sort of bonus for selling, and "advertising" these fee based paying systems?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&item=911010830

The seller is a power seller, do they get some sort of profit from Payingfast or Bidpay? Like 30 cents everytime they refer someone to use these services?

Or am I just being paranoid, jaded, and skeptical?

The answer I'm looking for is: perhaps, but also keep in mind <insert

witty remark followed by a PITHY anecdote>

This is why i do not bid on auctions that don't say the payment methods accepted, if it doesn't say "accepts paypal" or has the paypal logo at the bottom, most times I won't buy. If it's a good deal and they say they accept money orders, then sometimes I'll do that. I also try not to buy anything from out of the USA, shipping costs more and takes more time.

The seller either got burned by Paypal recently (a chargeback perhaps) OR has decided that the Paypal SELLER fee's are not worth it (cutting into their profits).  You mention Paypal is free, yes to the sender of money it is free.  To the receiver, there is a fee of about 3% to be paid on EVERY transaction.

If you receive from a credit card. If you only receive from bank accounts or PayPal accounts, there is no fee to the receiver either.

The seller either got burned by Paypal recently (a chargeback perhaps) OR has decided that the Paypal SELLER fee's are not worth it (cutting into their profits).  You mention Paypal is free, yes to the sender of money it is free.  To the receiver, there is a fee of about 3% to be paid on EVERY transaction.

If you receive from a credit card. If you only receive from bank accounts or PayPal accounts, there is no fee to the receiver either.

Russ, that is true but only if you have a Personal Account. This quote is directly from the Paypal site here:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p...en/fees-outside

PayPal charges Premier and Business accounts to receive payments. Personal accounts are free, but may not receive credit card payments.  

A personal account for someone who shall receive many payments is not very useful, I find that most payments I get are funded thru credit cards.

I don't really care for pay pal due to fees. only sold a PS2 and some games once, but hte lady ended up paying with a personal check. There were fees involved if she paid via Pay Pal and I didn't want to loose money on fees. So I told her Pay pal would be an extra ten bucks. I said in the auction that I don't take pay pal though? I think in the future, I'm going to state in my auctions that payment via Pay Pal requires the winning bidder pay a 1% service charge on top of the price of the winning bid and service charges.

I hope she headed my warning about not letting her 8 and 12 year old play Grand Theft Auto 3!?!?!?!

I didn't realize that about Paypal, that the seller pays a fee.

I agree that I can't really be mad at the people who did this auction. They stated clearly the payment methods they use.

So then an auction becomes more "enticing" to a buyer if it accepts Paypal, because there is less cost involved.

I'm a premier account with paypal and I get pissed off sometimes from the paypal fees. They are making a fortune. That is why Ebay wanted in. They were losing too much of the payments with paypal vs their crappy billpoint system. Billpoint was a pain in the ass with the fact that each day, they would deposit the payment(s) into your bank account. Paypal, you do all the transferring unless specified.

Paying 3% with paypal may not seem like alot, but add the Ebay fees on top of this. That is why I have no problems circumventing Ebay fees once in awhile. I figure it sort of makes up for the time when they had a free listing day and the bastards didn't even email me to tell me that. Also, they emailed my buddy AFTER the fact, and he was pissed too.

Phil

I never seen a problem with billpoint and I don't care if it takes 3 days for the money to get into my account "as long as it gets in!!" :)

Paypal sucks... (and I'm sad to see Billpoint going away soon :(

so this means if I wanna accept credit cards, I'm going to get stuck paying

some outrageous percentage? Obviously, when you sell something on eBay you want to MAKE money, not loose it! :)

BidPay isn't such a great service when it comes to buying small items.

However, if you purchased a $1,400 item, then say you have $900 in your bank account and the other 5 on your Credit Card, you can always just do it twice (sure, it's $5 a pop) but it all boils down to how things work. If I'm buying a $1,400 item, $10 isn't extremely high... however, if the game is only $5 to begin with, then an extra $5 is stupid.

*then agian, I've seen someone send me a MO through BidPay for a $6 game before*

Clint Thompson

:P

I'm going to state in my auctions that payment via Pay Pal requires the winning bidder pay a 1% service charge on top of the price of the winning bid and service charges.

I think BOTH EBAY and PAYPAL PROHIBIT the passing along of these fees in their terms of service, especially if you say outright that buyers that use paypal transactions will have to add a XX% extra charge to their payment. If you want to risk getting reported and having your auction pulled, go right ahead.

Quote from EBAY Site here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-list.html

Payment Surcharges

Sellers may not charge eBay buyers an additional fee for their use of ordinary forms of payment, including acceptance of checks, money orders, electronic transfers or credit cards. Such costs should be built into the price of the item -- this policy reduces the potential for confusion among bidders about the true cost of an item. Further, some forms of payment surcharges, such as credit card surcharges, are forbidden under the laws of many states, including California.

I am almost to my spending (I should say sending) limit on Paypal. They basically force you to tie your account to a bank account at this point. I am really apprehensive about that, but I see no other option. I know this was an earlier post, but any suggestions? Have you had any problems with Paypal tied to your bank account?

I am almost to my spending (I should say sending) limit on Paypal. They basically force you to tie your account to a bank account at this point. I am really apprehensive about that, but I see no other option. I know this was an earlier post, but any suggestions? Have you had any problems with Paypal tied to your bank account?

Tying your bank account to PayPal isn't bad. I've actually had a personal account on PayPal since the first month they were open (back when they were giving away $10.00 free to signup and $10.00 free to each referral! I made over $100.00!)

As for the original post, I completely understand why a seller may not want to use PayPal. It took the GOAT Store forever to start accepting PayPal because it does cost a heck of a lot to pay eBay's fees for small businesses. I think the GOAT Store has paid around $100.00 in PayPal fees this year alone.

Once a place gets big enough though, PayPal is a pretty darn good service. Something that you may also not realize is that every time that a store like Wal*Mart or Best Buy or whatever accepts your credit card, they are paying the credit card company a percentage of the sale. That is one of the main ways that credit card companies earn their cash.

I will note here that Billpoint was US only... as a UK eBay user that kind of made it useless to me. At least Paypal is international, more so now they've introduced pounds into their paying scheme.

As a seller, I accept Paypal as long as the buyers know (which they do) that they will pay the fees if they choose to use that payment method...

As a seller, I accept Paypal as long as the buyers know (which they do) that they will pay the fees if they choose to use that payment method...

Just as a warning, this goes against both eBay policy and PayPal policy, and your eBay name can be suspended and/or your PayPal funds frozen if you are reported doing this.

If you receive from a credit card.  If you only receive from bank accounts or PayPal accounts, there is no fee to the receiver either.

I upgraded my PayPal account to accept credit cards and they started taking 3% out of ALL payments I received, whether "paid from existing funds" or from credit card. To prove this, I opened a second account using my local bank to verify it (it exists for ATM mostly) and then tried to send $0.50 from that account to my upgraded account. Since I hadn't used a credit card to verify the address of my new account, my upgraded account was asked whether I wanted to accept or deny this unconfirmed payment. If I had accepted, I would have received something like 0.17 after PayPal fees were deducted! This was a purely cash transaction and not a single credit card was involved but they were still going to apply the full fees to it. Naturally, I rejected the transaction and kept my 50 cents in the account it was in, rather than giving PayPal 33 cents to move 17.

Just as a warning, this goes against both eBay policy and PayPal policy, and your eBay name can be suspended and/or your PayPal funds frozen if you are reported doing this.

Better report about 1/3 of the US sellers I buy from then...

Though seeing as the stuff I sell isn't huge value then it isn't much to consider. Should I sell something $1000+, then yeah somehow I don't think I'll be asking them to pay the fees ;)

Better than all this, my friend bought a limited Beck CD off someone on Ebay. This person ONLY accepted paypal. He says, no problem, I like to use my paypal with my credit card. When he wins the auction, the stupid woman wouldn't take his credit card because she had to pay the 3% fee.

Problem is she didn't say this in the auction. Best of all, he was willing to give her extra money, and she still wouldn't take it. She had told him to send a money order, but he didn't get paid for a couple more days. He wanted to use the credit card via paypal because he didn't have cash on hand. The woman copped an attitude with him and he's actually considering not sending her the money at all. One of her emails stated, "This is the last auction I'll ever do with Ebay". Does that make you feel safe that you'd get your cd? He's wary, but he doens't have a negative against his account and is afraid if he doesn't pay, he'll get one.

So what do you do?

On a different subject, I never use paypal if I have to cover fees. I accept ALOT of money from paypal. Goatdan doesn't want my bill. :)

But regardless, if I have to pay the 30 cents PLUS the percentage, then so should other sellers. I don't charge a fee, and like I stated before, possibly in another post, but if Ebay raises ANYTHING with Paypal, my payapl account is closed immediately. These people are making a fortune while I'm worrying about paying my bills. They get 3% on my sales while I make 1.75% in my shitty savings account. Even CDs are under 3%.

I make it a point though to get reimbursed by using my 'credit card/debit card' and get my 1.5% back. I usually use it with shipping when I goto the post office. At least my money is being spent on Ebay sales, and I get money back, but I am tempted to close my paypal account if anything happens to me.

One thing of note. My friend went to pay his ebay bill with paypal. He didn't have enough, so he used his check card directly tied into his store bank account. BE VERY WARY! Ebay is scum when it comes to this. He paid the bill that Ebay was due for the month. The screen went to "page not found" instead of the "made payment" screen. So he ASSUMED that his payment didn't go through. He did this 2 more times till it finally accepted. Guess what? He paid Ebay 3 TIMES!!!! Thing is, his bill was $800, so he was out $1600. Not that he was out of the money, but he had a HUGE credit with Ebay. His bank wouldn't refund the transaction. Ebay wouldn't refund the transaction. At least for like 30 days with Ebay and 90 days with his bank. Though the same charge of $837.15 or whatever it was was listed 3 times inside of 6 minutes. You could tell that it was a mistake and no one wanted to do anything about it. So if you tie your bank account into their systems, I would be very afraid of having too much money in your account for them to have access to.

One time Paypal put a freeze on his account. He had $2000 in his paypal account at the time. He had to go through this whole thing of re-verifying who he was, faxing them over all this info. He COULD NOT TOUCH THE MONEY AT ALL. Better yet, people kept paying auctions into his paypal account and technically he had been paid, but HE COULD NOT TOUCH THE MONEY AT ALL!!! I won't repeat it again, but think about it. You have $2000 that is YOUR MONEY and you can't use it to pay your bills, or even pay other auctions. His paypal credit card was rejected. That's how we found out about the freeze. We don't even know to this day why he had a freeze on his account. So they can freeze your money without any reason whatsoever and you can't do anything about it. Best of all, they said he couldn't close his account till like 30 days later if he wanted to. This scares me. That means they are using your money to make more money, and you have no rights nor any kind of compensation for it.

Ok, I'll stop rambling. I do keep as little as possible in my paypal account. I try to keep my balance below $100 because of shit like this. I suggest you do the same.

Phil

One thing I forgot, if you are paying say 40-50 cents with a paypal fee, you may want to consider tacking that much to your shipping fee.

I charge $4.50 for priority mail 1lb or less. I do delivery confirmation for 45 cents plus the $3.85 for the actual mailing. That is $4.30. That means I make 20 cents on the shipping. Though it doesn't actually offset the cost, it pays for my gas or whatever I need so at least I can make up some of the money.

Phil

Ok, I'll stop rambling. I do keep as little as possible in my paypal account. I try to keep my balance below $100 because of shit like this. I suggest you do the same.

Yeah, me too, I always want to keep the balance below $100.00 to avoid freeze my paypal account.....unless if I receive the payment from winning bidder from my auction, if more than 100.00, then I will transfer to my bank from paypal account very quickly rather than later.

Jason

Yes, unless you plan on spending your account money, which I always do with shipping, you should transfer money to your personal bank account so you know it's safe. When this freezing thing happened to my friend, I made it a priority to get my money out of there fast. At one point I had over $500 in there.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Since PayPal was bought out by Ebay, what is going to happen when you sell things on Ebay? Billpoint will be gone. Will people need to pay both the Ebay fees plus the PayPal fees? That is going to make small items disappear because there is too much money lost through fees.