IGNORED

STUFF WANTED FOR NEW RETRO PRINT MAGAZINE

Hi there,

I've been writing for various magazines for the last decade and decided it was time to start up my own publication. I've spent most of my professional writing career as an automotive journalist but my real passion is gaming - especially of the vintage variety.

The new magazine will be an international affair and will be available in proper printed format only. Why ruin the retro feel with a digital magazine that can only be read on a PC screen?

Anyway, I'm after unique stories for the mag. Whether you have a gigantic collection of gaming gear or know someone who has designed their house to resemble Ms. Pac-Man's hair ribbon, I'd like to hear from you.

I'd also like to hear from any prospective writers. I can't promise any cash at the moment as it's a very small startup affair but if you have a good grasp of the English language and can write in an entertaining, yet informative style, let me know.

Basically I'm after ANY info on retro gaming... as weird and whacky as it may be.

Cheers!!!

P.S. This ain't no newsletter - it will be a 100+ page glossy printed magazine. The real deal ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 years later...

Bit late here (only a decade, though - LOL) but things turned to shit and I ended up having to move back to NZ... anyway, long story short - it never happened but I ended up getting into game development.

In a nutshell, 2009 was the worst year of my life. Lost my dad and things went downhill from there. The magazine was one of my "looking to a brighter future" moments but I couldn't get my shit together!

A friend and I have contemplated getting it done over the years, but there are so many great retro mags already these days, plus I now have a wee boy AND I need to concentrate on making games!

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 9:42 AM, MantaNZ said:

Bit late here (only a decade, though - LOL) but things turned to shit and I ended up having to move back to NZ... anyway, long story short - it never happened but I ended up getting into game development.

In a nutshell, 2009 was the worst year of my life. Lost my dad and things went downhill from there. The magazine was one of my "looking to a brighter future" moments but I couldn't get my shit together!

A friend and I have contemplated getting it done over the years, but there are so many great retro mags already these days, plus I now have a wee boy AND I need to concentrate on making games!

Glad you've got past those difficult times.

There are so many great mags about these days but it's always good to see more if you ever change your mind?

Where are you working now?

7 hours ago, jdanddiet said:

There are so many great mags about these days but it's always good to see more if you ever change your mind?

I write very part time (TV show) but I'm working full time on a racing game for PC and console. Well, I would be, but we're in lockdown at the mo and I have to wrangle the week boy whilst his mum works. Haha.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/2/2021 at 12:08 AM, jdanddiet said:

Aaaand it has finally happened. The mag is official, 13 years later ?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/afterburnett/nz-retro-magazine-the-golden-age-of-kiwi-gaming-in-print

• Like 2

• 3 months later...