IGNORED

Who else thinks that someone should hack Night Driver

smartkitten26

The program doesn't use much bitmapped gfx. The road pylons are drawn using missile sprites. The player's car is drawn using immobile PF2 gfx (fetched from $F759...each of the 4 bytes used 8 successive times). Roadside objects are 8 bytes in height...interlaced with the color for each bitmap value ($F770 to $F7AF)...stored to sprite 0. These are fetched via indirect-Y addressing...the base address is set from table LF766. Only the 4 lowest bits of $86 are used to set the object type, so it's possible to add objects that can appear (it currently only uses values 0 to 4...with upper bits dictating if an object is present (bit7) and if the object is currently being drawn (bit6).

Rough disassembly:

NghtDrvr.zip

• 6 years later...

I think Night Driver is a great candidate for a graphics hack. It's kind of a shame that such an elegant game has such clumsy sprites. The 3D effect is truly awesome and I think it'd be a huge improvement to simply eliminate the backround graphics, (houses and trees). In my opinion the cars aren't so bad and even the blocky player's car would look okay with only minor alterations.

The game has a nice attract mode and some of the color schemes that it cycles through would be cool to have as in-game options. .. But black and white and minimalism really seems like the best standard version of this game to me.

Edited by gliptitude