IGNORED

Angry Video Game Nerd K.O. Boxing

Devin

I just updated the binaries on first post. I made some minor changes to update minor graphic flaws. The game still plays the same.

• When James is knocked down, the bottom of his shoes are now black. Beforehand, his shoes were dark brown - the same shade at the background. When he was knocked against the wall, his shoes would vanish. It looked like his feet were missing.
  • I removed some extra pixels when Jason drops his guard. They are at the bottom of the torso.
  • Shit Pickle now uses the the slide knockdown animation. He was using the hit-the-back-wall one. But, he's on the street. There's no wall! What was I thinking?! :(
  • Fixed the "push bug". I didn't even know about this until someone posted a video on YouTube. They used it against Woody. It required fast reflexes to pull off. Few would have found this, let alone, exploited it.
  • Fixed the transparent hole in one of Woody's eyes (hurt face). Since his eyes are black, and the background contains a ton of black, it looked the same in almost all cases.
  • I slowed down Franken-Nerd's final punch. This is the only gameplay change. It was far too fast at that level.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...

We'll be featuring AVGN KO Boxing on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:

- Space Treat Deluxe (2003) by Fabrizio Zavagli aka rasty
- Backfire (2003) by Chad Lare aka Chadivision
- AVGN KO Boxing (2009) by Devin D. Cook aka Devin
- DK Arcade 2600 (2019 WIP Update) by Michael Haas & Todd Holcomb aka iesposta & Byte Knight

EDIT: Link to YouTube archive of stream

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was wondering if this homebrew was either available for physical release or was permitted to have one made for personal uses (like for getting an autograph)?

I just wanted to add that I had looked everywhere, from the AVGN website to the forums and saw nothing that explicitly mentions physical reproduction but I would assume permission is implied from release of the files, manuals, and label art, but I do not want to violate anything.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/17/2009 at 10:21 PM, Devin said:

Hello all. I am pleased to announce that I have finished my first sequel to K.O. Cruiser! Woot!

In "Angry Video Game Nerd K.O. Boxing", you fight the cast and characters from the hit Internet show: The Angry Video Game Nerd.

AVGN KO Boxing 2009-09-06 NTSC.bin

AVGN KO Boxing 2009-09-06 PAL60.bin 32 kB · 2,648 downloads

K.O._AVGN_Manual.pdf 374.93 kB · 2,878 downloads

If case you are not familiar with the show, the Angry Video Game Nerd is an Internet show based on reviewing old video games. The "nerd" is a retro gamer like us and, like us, has been aggravated playing terrible games. Often, in the past, we would buy a game (or most likely get one as a gift) only to find out it was TERRIBLE!

"Back to the Future for my Nintendo? Thanks Santa! This looks great!"

(10 minutes later)

"This sucks!"

The show combines knowledge of video games & old systems with rants so acerbic and scatological that they can cause paint to peel. In quite a few episodes, characters from the game, such as the Joker, Cowardly Lion, Bugs Bunny, etc... join in. Mike Matei, who acts in these roles, and creates the episode title art, was kind enough to draw a cover for this game. He also was helpful by giving me tips and suggestions during development.

Enjoy!

P.S. In this sequel, I added I added the ability to dodge punches. When your opponent is about to throw a punch, you can move left or right and dodge. If your boxer is not in danger, you will move normally. I'll update my other boxing game to use this feature.

post-17256-1250564567_thumb.png

post-17256-1250564571_thumb.png

post-17256-1250564574_thumb.png

post-17256-1250564578_thumb.png

post-17256-1250565790_thumb.png

post-17256-1250565809_thumb.png

post-17256-1250577283_thumb.jpg

Awesome game !