IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Complete!

Albert

Hi Albert, great work with the new forum software. With a view towards continuous improvement I thought I'd let you know about a couple of relatively minor issues that I've come across:

1. If I click on Download next to Share this topic: (at the bottom of each topic) and then select either Printer Friendly Version or Download HTML Version the downloaded topic does NOT inlcude any images attached to posts in the topic (this only applies to attached images and NOT inserted images) - before the upgrade attached images would appear when downloading topics.

2. I am using IE7 and have noticed that the AtariAge logo at the top left of every screen seems to be too far down such that the white parallel horizontal lines do not line up with those along the rest of the screen - see attached image.

post-5757-125121174993.jpg

1. If I click on Download next to Share this topic: (at the bottom of each topic) and then select either Printer Friendly Version or Download HTML Version the downloaded topic does NOT inlcude any images attached to posts in the topic (this only applies to attached images and NOT inserted images) - before the upgrade attached images would appear when downloading topics.

I'll look at this, thanks.

2. I am using IE7 and have noticed that the AtariAge logo at the top left of every screen seems to be too far down such that the white parallel horizontal lines do not line up with those along the rest of the screen - see attached image.

I'm going to try to fix this today.

..Al

I have fixed this. Tested in Firefox, Safari and IE7.

..Al

• Like 1

Albert,

I was sooo afraid things would change around here in a way that would hurt the positive vibe like happens in so many other places but WOW! You have really added a LOT of goodies with this upgrade! You definitely have taste and a solid ear to the ground around here. I don't know how you do it.

I nominate you as President and CIO of a reformed Atari Corp. :)

Thanks a trillion for all you do to keep us crazy kids occupied! Life & the internet would really suck without the sweets provided here.

Very happy with the new Atari Age!

The "View New Content" function does not check for a singular; it gives the message "There are 1 new entries" if there is just one.

That make I angrily.

:D

You must be pretty angry, then, as that happens ALL OVER the forum. I put in a bug about this eons ago and I don't see Invision fixing this anytime soon. There are probably hundreds of similar cases all over the board. That just happens to be one of the more visible examples. :)

..Al

I've made several changes to the skin this evening. Some of the changes include:

- Statistics box at the bottom of the forum index much more closer matches the previous forum.

- Boxes at top of forum index line up vertically now

- Reduced space between forum listing and sidebar boxes on main index

- Changed layout of forum page to add back Replies and Views columns, made "Started By" column wider.

- Changed appearance of mini-pagination (viewable on forum page) so they are closer to original forum and less obnoxious

- Subforums table on forum pages show topics and replies as separate columns

- Increased size of font in quotes to match previous forum

- Played with borders on quotes so they are less obnoxious and cleaner

and lots of other minor stuff. Slowly making my way through my list..

..Al

• Like 1

Looks like signatures over a certain length are being cutoff.

post-2851-125073730114_thumb.png

Is there any way to make them disappear completely?

*EDIT: This might be a browser issue. That screenshot is from Camino. The signatures look fine under Safari.

I'm having this exact same problem with Mozilla Seamonkey, and they're both Gecko-based browsers. Is this happening with Firefox too?

The problem seems to be that the rate up/down button appears on the left side of the window instead of next to the rating number. (Even when it's your own message and there's no rate-up button.) This causes the gray in between them to pave over the bottom of sigs.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

I'm having this exact same problem with Mozilla Seamonkey, and they're both Gecko-based browsers. Is this happening with Firefox too?

The problem seems to be that the rate up/down button appears on the left side of the window instead of next to the rating number. (Even when it's your own message and there's no rate-up button.) This causes the gray in between them to pave over the bottom of sigs.

Yeah, what you should see is this:

Picture 44.png

Does this happen with the default IP.Board skin (which you can select at the bottom-left corner of the page)?

..Al

Does this happen with the default IP.Board skin (which you can select at the bottom-left corner of the page)?

Yes.

If you can take a screenshot of a complete post in the IP.Board skin using Seamonkey, I will install Camino in OS X and take a screenshot as well. I'll then submit a bug to Invision. Not sure they will fix it, but it's worth a try. I'll have to look at the skin to see how it's drawing the bottom of the post.

..Al

Yeah, what you should see is this:

post-3-125129901769_thumb.png

I also get the plus sign way over on the left and I'm using Firefox 2. The same thing happens with the IP.Board skin too.

If you can take a screenshot of a complete post in the IP.Board skin using Seamonkey, I will install Camino in OS X and take a screenshot as well. I'll then submit a bug to Invision. Not sure they will fix it, but it's worth a try. I'll have to look at the skin to see how it's drawing the bottom of the post.

..Al

Mozilla Seamonkey 1.1.17

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090605 SeaMonkey/1.1.17

post-4828-125130257588_thumb.jpg

When I get some time I'll play around with the HTML and see what it takes to fix it.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

I don't know if this is a problem with the new Forums or the new IE7 I installed, but I keep getting "Webpage Has Expired" error messages when I'm doing a Forum search and try to go back to the search results.

Also, for stubborn IE6 users, I noticed the control boxes aren't showing up to the left on the Messenger page. I know you aren't really worrying about IE6 support, but since you eliminated the Lightbox image viewing, it seems like most everything is working fine in 6 except for that and a few little visual things.

EDIT: Damn! Accidentally subscribed to this thread again. Can't you make those Configure Post Options show up instead of being hidden when posting a message so I don't keep forgetting about them?

Edited by Lucky Man
  • Like 1

I don't know if this is a problem with the new Forums or the new IE7 I installed, but I keep getting "Webpage Has Expired" error messages when I'm doing a Forum search and try to go back to the search results.

Can you give me a recipe for what you're doing? What you're searching for, what you're clicking on, how you're going back to the search results and how long you're waiting before going back to them. If I can reproduce it, I can file a bug about it (and Invision is fixing IE7-related issues, in general).

..Al

Can you give me a recipe for what you're doing? What you're searching for, what you're clicking on, how you're going back to the search results and how long you're waiting before going back to them. If I can reproduce it, I can file a bug about it (and Invision is fixing IE7-related issues, in general).

..Al

It doesn't seem to matter what I'm searching for. I put a search into the box, it gives me the results. I click on a post and try to return to the search within a few seconds and it gives me a Webpage Has Expired message nearly every time.

It doesn't seem to matter what I'm searching for. I put a search into the box, it gives me the results. I click on a post and try to return to the search within a few seconds and it gives me a Webpage Has Expired message nearly every time.

Man, those tabs look like ass in IE7, I'll have to see if I can fix that.

I am able to reproduce the problem easily in IE6 and IE7. I'm pretty sure it's related to a setting that tells web browsers not to cache the content of a page. Doesn't seem to bother other browsers, but of course IE is its own unique beast and nothing can be simple or straightforward with it for web developers. No idea if it does the same thing in IE8, I don't have that installed anywhere.

At any rate, I filed a bug on Invision's site although I suspect they'll tell me to pound sand. I did test this with the old forum and it does seem to work fine with it (and that forum has the same "no-cache" setting), so looks like something did change between the old forum software and this one. So hopefully it is something they can fix. Either that, or the "no-cache" directive was never handled properly in the old software. :)

I should have an answer from them tomorrow.

..Al

Not sure if it weas mentioned before, but I just noticed, that emoticons in my blog are all disabled. But I am sure they were enabled before the switch.

They are also disabled by default for new blog entries and for single blog comments. Even if you had already enabled them and just edit an entry/comment, it falls back to disabled.