IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Complete!

Albert

New content page is all white, is this the final version? It's just that it's a little hard to follow each thread title on the left, with it's information across the page to the right.

The color bars, for each thread are gone.

No biggie, I'm used to a little color on the page tho, and I'm used to some type of separation of the texts- looks a little jumbled.

Edited by ovalbugmann

New content page is all white, is this the final version? It's just that it's a little hard to follow each thread title on the left, with it's information across the page to the right.

The color bars, for each thread are gone.

No biggie, I'm used to a little color on the page tho, and I'm used to some type of separation of the texts- looks a little jumbled.

This is something that broke when I upgraded the forum to the latest version a few weeks ago. It's on my list to fix, I don't like it either.

..Al

I don't know how long it will take until they get the cloud tag thing working correctly, so I fixed mine:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/blog/120-random-terrains-tetraternarium/

I changed the spaces to underscores, so now all of the cloud tag links work for my blog.

Not sure if this has been asked, but wasn't there some sort of "off-topic" forum? I seem to remember something of the sort - one of the topics was about goofy questions (i.e. If a chicken and a half, lays an egg and a half, how long does it take for a monkey, with a wooden leg, to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?). Was this forum deleted?

Not sure if this has been asked, but wasn't there some sort of "off-topic" forum? I seem to remember something of the sort - one of the topics was about goofy questions (i.e. If a chicken and a half, lays an egg and a half, how long does it take for a monkey, with a wooden leg, to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?). Was this forum deleted?

Never heard of this thing you call "off-topic". Also never heard of General Chat, Current Events, Entertainment & Sports, Computers, Science & Technology, or Politics & Religion.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned... (heck, I may have even mentioned it), but a nice companion feature to the reputation points, would be a way to see which posts people have giving points to. Every time my rep # gets a bump, I wonder which post it was.

Even more fun would be: "People who liked this post also liked these posts...", that might be a little too far-fetched, though... :D

Not sure if this has been mentioned... (heck, I may have even mentioned it), but a nice companion feature to the reputation points, would be a way to see which posts people have giving points to. Every time my rep # gets a bump, I wonder which post it was.

Even more fun would be: "People who liked this post also liked these posts...", that might be a little too far-fetched, though... :D

Check it out:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/149271-how-does-reputation-work/page__view__findpost__p__1836561

Check it out:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/149271-how-does-reputation-work/page__view__findpost__p__1836561

Ah, thanks! I'll admit, I was lazy and didn't search... the battery was dying on my laptop at work and I wanted to post before I forgot my thought. :)

Albert, in the old forum, you could search for a list of all the topics started by a specific author by searching with the author's name and "show as topics" and "search titles only." You would get a list of topics started by that user, including all current info about the topic (i.e., number of views, replies, and date/author of most recent reply). I can't replicate this search with the current search interface no matter what I do. Can you (or anyone else) clue me in on how to do this now? Or is it not supported anymore?

onmode-ky

The "Show results as titles" checkbox is being ignored--I filed a bug for this back on August 25th and it hasn't been fixed yet:

http://forums.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-18129-show-results-as-titles-does-not-work/

..Al

I see this bug has been fixed now. However, I still can't replicate the old search. Searching a specific author with "Show results as titles" and "Search titles only" checked still does not show only the titles started by that author (it also does not show all the titles started by that author). Is this still buggy or am I just not using the search as intended? Based on what I do get from such searches, though, which is a mix of some titles by the user and some just with posts by the user, I'm not sure how this combination of search criteria is being interpreted by the engine at all. From a database administrator perspective, it appears the SQL query being constructed by the front end does not have the correct "where" clause. For what it's worth, the results are being shown only as titles now, not as posts.

onmode-ky

I see this bug has been fixed now. However, I still can't replicate the old search. Searching a specific author with "Show results as titles" and "Search titles only" checked still does not show only the titles started by that author (it also does not show all the titles started by that author). Is this still buggy or am I just not using the search as intended? Based on what I do get from such searches, though, which is a mix of some titles by the user and some just with posts by the user, I'm not sure how this combination of search criteria is being interpreted by the engine at all. From a database administrator perspective, it appears the SQL query being constructed by the front end does not have the correct "where" clause. For what it's worth, the results are being shown only as titles now, not as posts.

onmode-ky

Well, there doesn't really seem to be a way to only search for topics started by a particular author on the advanced search page. What it's doing is returning ALL topics that the author has posted in. I'm sure it's simply ignoring "Search titles only", which really only applies if you enter some text in the "Find words" field.

If you want to see all the topics someone has started, click on their profile or user card (the little space invader icon next to someone's name) and then click the "Find Topics" icon/link. This will show all the topics a user has started.

..Al

Well, there doesn't really seem to be a way to only search for topics started by a particular author on the advanced search page. What it's doing is returning ALL topics that the author has posted in. I'm sure it's simply ignoring "Search titles only", which really only applies if you enter some text in the "Find words" field.

If you want to see all the topics someone has started, click on their profile or user card (the little space invader icon next to someone's name) and then click the "Find Topics" icon/link. This will show all the topics a user has started.

..Al

This is strange. I did a test on my own username, following your instructions, and it shows 2 topics started by me . . . but I have started 3 topics since I first joined AtariAge. The missing one is the first topic I ever made, titled "Jungletac." Any ideas why that one is not in the result set? It's the oldest one by me, but it's not much older than the other two, as I recall. Less than a month's difference, I believe.

onmode-ky

This is strange. I did a test on my own username, following your instructions, and it shows 2 topics started by me . . . but I have started 3 topics since I first joined AtariAge. The missing one is the first topic I ever made, titled "Jungletac." Any ideas why that one is not in the result set? It's the oldest one by me, but it's not much older than the other two, as I recall. Less than a month's difference, I believe.

onmode-ky

No idea, but I'm going to take a look as the query seems to be missing older topics. Might be intentional for performance reasons. If that's the case, I'll remove that restriction since there shouldn't be a performance issue with the search engine we're using.

..Al

Yeah, it seems to be semi-fixed, but this thread should be near the top of my MY Posts list right now, but it isn't.

The "My Posts" and other search results will lag behind the live database as they are cached. The search engine (which runs independently of the forum) updates the indexes periodically. It may be every 15 minutes but I'd need to double check that to know for sure.

..Al

The "My Posts" and other search results will lag behind the live database as they are cached. The search engine (which runs independently of the forum) updates the indexes periodically. It may be every 15 minutes but I'd need to double check that to know for sure.

Is that a change from the way it used to be? Seemed like it used to be as instant as View New Content.