IGNORED

Albert's New Forum To Do List

Albert

Three requests for the blogs:

1. Can you restore the previous background colors for entries? Right now they're just floating in a sea of white.
  2. Can the sortable/clicakble column headings be restored? I don't care for how the info is broken down now (or more to the point - the incompleteness of it).
  3. I think Thomas mentioned this, but is there any way to indicate what hasn't been read yet in a blog (i.e. new comments)?

Also, some of my blog entries have had their formatting screwed up. Like this one. All of the paragraph breaks are gone. Do I have to manually fix this (along with the YouTube tags)?

Edited by Nathan Strum

Also, the "Reputation" and "Friends" features from the "Profile" section seem to be pointless, and likely to cause trouble.

The reputation system as it stands isn't particularly scary as I have it setup so people can only give positive rep points, and people cannot rep themselves. Enabling negative rep points is absolutely a recipe for trouble, which I've seen firsthand on one of Invision's test forums earlier this year. As for the Friends features, most of those were already in the previous forum software, but weren't quite as accessible as they are now.

..Al

Three requests for the blogs:

1. Can you restore the previous background colors for entries? Right now they're just floating in a sea of white.
  2. Can the sortable/clicakble column headings be restored? I don't care for how the info is broken down now (or more to the point - the incompleteness of it).
  3. I think Thomas mentioned this, but is there any way to indicate what hasn't been read yet in a blog (i.e. new comments)?

Also, some of my blog entries have had their formatting screwed up. Like this one. All of the paragraph breaks are gone. Do I have to manually fix this (along with the YouTube tags)?

I can fix the background color easily, I've added that to my skin "to do" list. Not sure about the clickable column headings, I will have to look at that. The last bit, being able to easily see what hasn't been read yet, is the most difficult of the three and that's not something I'm going to look at right now since it would likely require extensive work. However, I can look on Invision's site and see what discussion's have taken place on this subject, as I've seen it come up before.

That's very strange regarding the blog entries losing their formatting. I can give you access to the old forum if you'd like to copy and paste the entries to make things easier.

..Al

It seems like the text and space has been corrected when using Firefox, but there's still a lot of space when using IE7 (Yes, I upgraded from IE6. Damn you, Invision! :x )

Also, at the top of the page, there's a line break to the right of the AtariAge logo.

(Sorry, I tried to attach a screenshot, but couldn't figure out how. :? )

It seems like the text and space has been corrected when using Firefox, but there's still a lot of space when using IE7 (Yes, I upgraded from IE6. Damn you, Invision! :x )

Also, at the top of the page, there's a line break to the right of the AtariAge logo.

I'll see if I can get IE7 up and running on my end so I can take a look at it. I did spend a little time with IE6 a few weeks ago and to my amazement the forum worked better than I expected (although it wasn't pretty). IE7 isn't a hell of a lot better than IE6 in some aspects--I'd move on up to IE8 if you can.

..Al

I'll see if I can get IE7 up and running on my end so I can take a look at it. I did spend a little time with IE6 a few weeks ago and to my amazement the forum worked better than I expected (although it wasn't pretty). IE7 isn't a hell of a lot better than IE6 in some aspects--I'd move on up to IE8 if you can.

..Al

Yes, in addition to the other problems...as soon as I noticed that I wasn't able to view any images in the posts using IE6, I realized I needed to try something else.

Not so sure about 8, but I'll think about it.

I'm using IE7 at the moment and overall everything looks okay. Not as nice as in Firefox and Safari, but it looks better than I was expecting. I am seeing a few issues, such as the horizontal scrollbar and some issues with the blue post headers. Lucky Man, I'm not seeing a lot of unusual whitespace, though. Can you be more specific?

..Al

Moved from the other thread...

Just need the "Show New Posts Since Last" or whatever that link was to the left of every message and I'll be set.

If you click on "View New Content", clicking on the topic title will bring you to the first new message in that thread. There's no arrow icon (yet), but it does the same thing.

Clicking on the title behaves differently when using the "My Posts" search though. It just shows the first post in the thread rather than the last post read.

Clicking on the title behaves differently when using the "My Posts" search though. It just shows the first post in the thread rather than the last post read.

This is how "My Posts" worked on the old forum as well.

..Al

Right, but the old forum had a little icon next to the message that you could click that would take you to the newest unread post in a list generated from the "My Posts" query. There no icon for that now.

I'm using IE7 at the moment and overall everything looks okay. Not as nice as in Firefox and Safari, but it looks better than I was expecting. I am seeing a few issues, such as the horizontal scrollbar and some issues with the blue post headers. Lucky Man, I'm not seeing a lot of unusual whitespace, though. Can you be more specific?

..Al

Not necessarily "white space" but the forums are much more compressed when using Firefox. In IE7 everything spreads out a little more and takes up more vertical space.

Also, I find it irritating that you have to click on the post options icon to make them show up. I'm sure I'm not the only one who forgets about the e-mail notification choice hidden there.

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but is there a preference setting I can use to turn off all the Atari-themed icons that have popped up everywhere? I appreciate the idea, but it really adds to the visual clutter, and makes the layout as a whole take up more space than it used to.

Thanks, Albert, for all your hard work.

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but is there a preference setting I can use to turn off all the Atari-themed icons that have popped up everywhere? I appreciate the idea, but it really adds to the visual clutter, and makes the layout as a whole take up more space than it used to.

Anywhere you're seeing an Atari-themed icon there was already an icon of the same size in its place. So the new icons are not resulting in more visual clutter or taking up more space than they used to. It's an Atari-related forum, so I decided to replace a few of the stock icons with Atari-related icons.

There is no preference setting to turn off various graphics used in the forum. You could always use something like Adblock Plus to block individual images from your browser, though.

..Al

I like the all the icons except for the blue and scary Pac-Man thing in the search field!!!! My eyes move automatically to this ugly buddy!!!

Maybe Ms. Pac Man would be better. With or without the hair ribbon.

Are you tryin´ to be funny, brother Thomas???

:D

I noticed that too. I'm running IE7 with a 1680 x 1050 resolution. I see the break by the logo, but in Firefox it is fine.

@Luckyman: Waaaay to the right there is a little tiny add to post button. I barely noticed it too.

post-7074-125090106814_thumb.png

Edited by Omegamatrix