IGNORED

Vectrex repair

tremoloman2006

I just got my Vectrex and I'm bummed. The picture keeps flickering between one font and another. The seller did an excellent job of protecting it but when I shake it just a little the picture flickers between those two sizes.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this?

I'm seeing if it is covered by USPS before I try anything since I did get insurance for $200.

Thanks in advance...

Trem

P.S. I can post a video if it will help. I'll get my gf's camrea tonight and try to record it.

That kinda sounds like the V size pot is dirty...(if the Vectrex even has one, I assume so, but...) It can cause all kinds of jittery problems, so will V hold, and H size (again, if available) The pots are fairly easy to clean, and if that's the problem, the easiest to fix. Another problem could be inside, like a loose connection or something, but someone else will have to tell you about that, I'v cleaned knobs and pots on TV's, but never anything inside of them :P

Hope you get help for it.

It's not the greatest video, but here's a sideways video of it acting up.

I apologize in advance for the lousy quality and it being sideways but it was the only way to capture the whole screen with this tiny camera.

As you can see, the screen will jitter at random and some of the fonts are tilited, squished, and unreadable. The seller claims it worked perfectly when he shipped it and did package it well. I don't know enough about these systems to know if this is a common issue or if I got porked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1m-hzat3Os

Edited by tremoloman2006

That kinda sounds like the V size pot is dirty...(if the Vectrex even has one, I assume so, but...) It can cause all kinds of jittery problems, so will V hold, and H size (again, if available) The pots are fairly easy to clean, and if that's the problem, the easiest to fix. Another problem could be inside, like a loose connection or something, but someone else will have to tell you about that, I'v cleaned knobs and pots on TV's, but never anything inside of them icon_razz.gif

Hope you get help for it.

There are no external adjustments for those but there may be some internal ones. I'm trying to decide to try and get this claimed under insurance as the seller swears it didn't do this before but then it likely won't act up when they look at it. I just don't want to get stuck with something that will drive me crazy. Maybe I'll stop being a wuss and tear it apart tonight. Hmmmmm... anyone know if the screen is adjustable?

Vectrex service manual :-

vecman.pdf

Looks like you'll need some sort of diagnostic cart to go with it.

Thanks a lot for posting this!

Perhaps the ROM for this cart is available somewhere? If so, then I REALLY need the VecFlash cart! :)

Maybe a TV repair shop could fix it? Is there a reputable Vectrex repair place online?

Maybe a TV repair shop could fix it? Is there a reputable Vectrex repair place online?

Most TV repair shops these days just want to swap out parts :(. You might be better looking for local radio amateur groups or small mom and pop repair shops (both of which are thin on the ground on this side of the pond).

Do you have any soldering skills? Looking at that repair chart its a list of instructions as to what you should see on your test equipment and what components should be checked/replaced if the two don't match. If you haven't got the test equipment you could just change the components in the hit list (for your failure mode) and hope for the best.

I'm not going to be a lot more help than already posted, but I can say that's not normal. Looks like there is a problem in the vertical deflection, because horizontal looks stable. If it's happening when you move or bump the machine, that suggests a loose or broken wire. If it happens all on it's own, it could be either that or a failing component. You might track down some of the vector arcade collector groups, a lot of them know vector monitors very well.

In any event, if you are planning to open it up, be careful as there is high voltage inside that cabinet -- even if it's unplugged. If you aren't comfortable working on monitors you might not want to start poking around.

If you can find an old Mom-and-pop style TV repair place where the guys actually do their own work, taking them the service manual and gaining their interest may also help. :)

If it happens all on it's own, it could be either that or a failing component. You might track down some of the vector arcade collector groups, a lot of them know vector monitors very well.

If it happens all on its own, it could also be a cold solder joint to the jack on the circuit board that the yoke wires plug into. That's when a microscopic ring-shaped crack develops around the pin, and it only needs the joint reheated with a soldering iron to fix it. The hard part is taking things apart enough to get there, then putting everything back together.

If it happens all on it's own, it could be either that or a failing component. You might track down some of the vector arcade collector groups, a lot of them know vector monitors very well.

If it happens all on its own, it could also be a cold solder joint to the jack on the circuit board that the yoke wires plug into. That's when a microscopic ring-shaped crack develops around the pin, and it only needs the joint reheated with a soldering iron to fix it. The hard part is taking things apart enough to get there, then putting everything back together.

If what the seller tells me is true (that it didn't do this before shipping), then this might be something to look into. I can solder so that wouldn't be an issue. Maybe I'll take the cover off tonight and just see if anything looks awry.

Thanks for the help/interest everyone. I have faith I'll get this fixed (crosses fingers).

Just remember, there's some serious voltage around the tube I believe.

I haven't had to work on my Vectrex, but I always take extra precautions when working on my arcade monitor.

There's a teacher at Stanford who says its not as bad as people think, considering the "skin effect" at those voltage ranges, but I prefer paranoia, or at least a healthy respect.

desiv

I came across a cool website: PlayVectrex.com

It mentions my issues and how to repair them... problem is, I have NO IDEA what any of this stuff means. Anyone got any ideas? I'm desperate.

Troubleshooting Guide

I am surprised no one has mentioned this. Contact John Dondzila. If he doesn't know the answer, then no one does.

Here's the website:

http://www.classicgamecreations.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I came across a cool website:  PlayVectrex.com

It mentions my issues and how to repair them... problem is, I have NO IDEA what any of this stuff means.   Anyone got any ideas?  I'm desperate.

Troubleshooting Guide

I am surprised no one has mentioned this. Contact John Dondzila. If he doesn't know the answer, then no one does.

Here's the website:

Thank you!  I'll send him an email right now! :)

I came across a cool website: PlayVectrex.com

It mentions my issues and how to repair them... problem is, I have NO IDEA what any of this stuff means. Anyone got any ideas? I'm desperate.

Troubleshooting Guide

Here's the website:

Yes John definetley knows his way around the Vectrex, I bought Vecmania from him, and it is one of the best games I have to the system.