IGNORED

FS: Fairchild System (Channel F) Multi-Cart, pre-order now.

e5frog

I'm currently on holiday so nothing will be built or shipped in the next 10 days, I'll also hold on new orders until I have managed to catch up. I'm not quite at the "at least on cart per week" rate yet, but I'm getting there. Have five or six carts built but not labeled yet. Will update as soon as I get back home again.

A/V mod hasn't really been explored much yet, I managed to make a working mod for a PAL first generation board, you can pick the composite signal or at least the color and luma signals, amplified the luma part and then hooked the color signal on after that. When amplifying them both I lost the color. Optimal is probably to have two good amplifier circuits that you can adjust both the luma and color. I was going to try and hook them to S-video but never got around to it. Picture was crystal clear with no odd RF interference. I think I wrote about it here, check my posts. There's schematics in the wiki where you can make your own solution, we only have schematic for the original VES and the German SABA VideoPlay 2 which is close to the Channel F II:

http://classicdev.org/VES/Schematics

I only have one NTSC machine that I bought NOS so I'm not that keen on tearing the foam off the bottom (or punch holes) to get to the screws - at least not as long as it is working.

For the Channel F II it could very well be easier... in any case if you start at the antenna out signal and work your way backwards there is a composite signal somewhere before it's put on a carrier wave. Just need to find the right spot and then probably amplify it. ;-)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, on Monday it's back to work, I'll let you know then which carts are done, had some printer trouble (printer head clogged) so I haven't been able to finish the labels.

Still not taking any new orders until I'm completely done with the waiting ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry I haven't been in touch.

I've either been working or been sick lately so not much spare time to build. I have a few assembled carts but the printer gave me trouble when I was going to print the labels for them so I had to fix that first - it was actually broken so I had to find new parts for it and after that was done not as much as a single free hour in the "laboratory".

I do this on my spare time, I'm bascially not charging anything for the work so I can't really afford doing this instead of working. I'll try and snatch a few hours to finish up what was ordered as soon as I can. Currently I have no plans of making any more than what is already ordered and if I do I'll make sure they're already done before I accept payment, only a pre-made non-personalized Multi-Cart will be offered (still numbered though).

Currently I'm sick, caughing, fever, sneezing, blowing my nose, not the optimal condition to make labels or surface mounting components. :-(

Maybe I'll be able to stay home a day extra and have some of them done at least.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to leave an update.

I have spent all money I had to spare and a lot of time to solve my labeling troubles, haven't been able to get a proper result. There's some electrical/electronic error on my printer. Haven't got any friends with working printers either (reason is probably lack of friends rather than lack of printers in the world). Tried using the color laser at work but it looked like crap both before and after the plastic came on.

Maybe if someone could help out we'd be able to solve this a little faster.

I have been using Canon Glossy Photo Paper "Everyday Use" 170 g/m*m (GP-501) with a Canon iP6700D using Canon original ink only since I started to make labels. It's probably not as important for the Multi-Cart labels (black only) as the Pac-Man labels. I'd hate it if the colors looked different for the last batch.

I'll throw the question out among some people that are closer to me (preferrably in Sweden).

I won't be able to afford to get a new printer until January 25th 2012, I've gotten a proper job from the 1/1 2012, currently I'm still on "work related rehabilitation" from after my illness but at least I'm up to full time now since four weeks back. Baby is coming in mid-December so I guess I'll have a few nights after that that I'm up and awake anyway.

I haven't forgotten about you guys, mostly frustrated that money is so tight right now and I spent the last money from the cartridge fund on printer repair attempts. Still have a lot of parts though, maybe I could sell DIY-kits. ;-)

Guess I could make more sales just to get the money flowing, but then I'd just have more people waiting...

What do you think?

Edited by e5frog

• 2 weeks later...

Found an envelope with a few label-prints, I hope I have some luck with attaching the plastic so I'll be able to use all of them.

One more Pac-Man cart is done and also one Multi-Cart is ready to be shipped so far, I'll be able to make a few more today, will update the first message as work progress.

There's more Pac-Man carts than Multi's though... more Pac-Man carts will be completed than Multi's for now.

Just wanted to leave an update.

I have spent all money I had to spare and a lot of time to solve my labeling troubles, haven't been able to get a proper result. There's some electrical/electronic error on my printer. Haven't got any friends with working printers either (reason is probably lack of friends rather than lack of printers in the world). Tried using the color laser at work but it looked like crap both before and after the plastic came on.

Maybe if someone could help out we'd be able to solve this a little faster.

I have been using Canon Glossy Photo Paper "Everyday Use" 170 g/m*m (GP-501) with a Canon iP6700D using Canon original ink only since I started to make labels. It's probably not as important for the Multi-Cart labels (black only) as the Pac-Man labels. I'd hate it if the colors looked different for the last batch.

I'll throw the question out among some people that are closer to me (preferrably in Sweden).

I won't be able to afford to get a new printer until January 25th 2012, I've gotten a proper job from the 1/1 2012, currently I'm still on "work related rehabilitation" from after my illness but at least I'm up to full time now since four weeks back. Baby is coming in mid-December so I guess I'll have a few nights after that that I'm up and awake anyway.

I haven't forgotten about you guys, mostly frustrated that money is so tight right now and I spent the last money from the cartridge fund on printer repair attempts. Still have a lot of parts though, maybe I could sell DIY-kits. ;-)

Guess I could make more sales just to get the money flowing, but then I'd just have more people waiting...

What do you think?

I meant to write this on your last post, but I'm sure someone with a nice printer could print some labels out and ship them to you (from anywhere in the world). I'm sure if you made the request in the classic gaming section, someone would offer. I'd do it but my inkjet is not the greatest...

Sorry Mark, you're there now.

Yes, that's the reply I have gotten from my friends (close enough that I dare to ask).

I may have a solution coming up, I guess a new printer doesn't really cost more than what I charge for a cart so if I sold one more I could take care of the problem, would be handy if it was a Canon that uses the same ink cartridges..

Still have a few labels left so I'll build more this week.

I noticed Mark was not the only one I haven't added to the list.

Edited by e5frog

• 2 weeks later...

Built another cart, haven't been labeling them yet.

The components I have the fewest of will last exactly for the remaining four Multi-Carts, let's hope I can keep the pace up maybe I'll have all deliveries done by X-mas!

Then I'll need a batch more of PCBs, logic circuits and RAM before there will be more.

Got hold of a replacement printer - it wasn't cheap, it's brand new of the same type but without the print head and ink-cartridges, which means I now have a working printer again but a bit low on ink. Luckily it was sponsored, wouldn't have been able to afford that myself right now.

Found a printshop to print the Multi-Cart boxes at a decent price, I'm considering spending the 40% extra it costs to get the fold creases done there instead of me doing them manually with a bent screwdriver on a piece of glass...

We are currently discussing if they can also do the top and edge labels, that would really speed things up, adhesive and laminated on top. Haven't got an estimate yet.

Don't think any professional printing will be done until next year though.

Also need to order new batch of PCBs and components for future orders.

Guess I should get some carts sent out so I can take on new orders. ;-)

Edited by e5frog

• 2 weeks later...

Here's how I made my foolprooof glossy labels:

1. Print out a page of labels (I did color laser prints at an office place before I got my own. It looked better than my inkjet prints).

2. Go to FedEx/Kinko's and ask them for a sheet of LamiLabel. This is clear laminate with adhesive backing.

3. Laminate an entire sheet of labels.

4. Go to the paper cutter and carefully cut the sheet into label sized squares (I put faint cross marks at the corners so I could line it up).

5. Peel and stick the squares. They look fabulous and have a durable glossy finish.

This style of label can be seen in this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/69649-5200-game-announcement-now-shipping/page__hl__5200%20mule

That's basically what I have been doing at home, not that we have "FedEx/Kinko" and "LamiLabel" here in Sweden as far as I know, and as long as you can pay for it almost anything seems to be possible. Seems there's a store for anything you want to do in the States. "Hmm, I'll swing by the 3D-print shop this afternoon and have a full size Christmas tree printed out..."

I got a package yesterday with professionally printed and laminated labels with adhesive on the back, looks great. Saved the cutting for myself though to save a lot of bucks, will still print the back labels myself. Should save a lot of time.

IMG_6231.jpg

Will cut and label some tomorrow, several are likely to get shipped before the end of the year.