IGNORED

FS: Fairchild System (Channel F) Multi-Cart, pre-order now.

e5frog

I'm going to be a bad influence and say get it! I parted with my Channel F collection, including this, and it was a big regret. The multi cart is awesome, all the bonus features alone make it worthwhile. Not to mention the production value and how often are you going to get the chance to get a Channel F homebrew? ;)

• 1 month later...

Finished all Multi-Carts from batch #3 tonight, will ship them tomorrow.

That's all up to and including #35 including the Pac-Man carts for those two who ordered them as well.

I haven't found all parts I wanted for batch#4 so I might need to change the PCB-layout, it's in the making.

Have a few ideas about the box but nothing painted in the computer yet - and I have gotten zero suggestions, don't know whether to go for a black print only Democart-looking box or something more like the early boxes and clash in the modern font used in the #18 and higher carts...

From batch#4 I'll remove the option to add specially selected favorites but will add 15 favorites based on what I think and what has been ordered for the first 35 carts, these will be reachable by using the four buttons on the console as dip-switches while pressing reset - you'll be able to do it with just one hand after some practice. ;-)

I might add a controller signal as well to be able to reach ALL entries directly - haven't decided yet. ;-)

This means I can speed up the back labeling with a common label for all future carts.

Have made some test with Ferro-RAM to hold scores (non volatile ram that needs no battery), now that I'm not making Pac-Man anymore I might add in a Ferro-RAM as well that is active for score keeping on Pac-Man. If I need to change the layout anyway I might add it as a possible option at least. Unfortunately I have lost memory a few times on my test-cart, but that might be because it's not sealed and touching of the circuits may have occured. Plans are also to add a second slot for Pac-Man to include the intermissions as well - but that needs to be tested (and programmed) first so it's not the biggest priority.

Planning to add the music that was released perhaps while displaying some of the pictures that was in the graphics competition, I think that's one of the few things missing apart from some one time stuff I have released at special occasions.

So... you should all be playing within 3 weeks - finally!

Have a few ideas about the box but nothing painted in the computer yet - and I have gotten zero suggestions, don't know whether to go for a black print only Democart-looking box or something more like the early boxes and clash in the modern font used in the #18 and higher carts...

I Would like to suggest the Black Box Demo Style box. As this is a Multi-Game special type cart I would like to see it stand out as a special addition to the set along the same lines as the Demo carts

Edited by FND

I'm leaning towards that, mainly because it's the easiest and I'm guessing one color print is cheaper... and the cart label is the same as the democart but inverted... and because of that it would be fun to have something else. ;-)

Maybe invert the colors of the #1 to #17 boxes, just to make it stand out...

My - that would look horrible...

box_videocart_04br.jpg

• The Inverted color box looks interesting and would certainly stand out but what number would you use ? Maybe an inverted color Demo Box ? which would also stand up better condition wise we all know how condition sensitive black boxes can be

Edited by FND

I was considering something in this direction, but then I thought it looks a lot like some Chinese pirated NES/Famicom multi-cart.

multibox_suggestion1.jpg

The back is the usual rounded square with some text, maybe screenshots as well.

If the colors were inverted I'd think of that french instructionbooklet:

instructions.videocart.03french.jpg

Edited by e5frog

JERLAW-tribute, perhaps something to add on the back...

My friend José probably comes with a few ideas as well.

For the instructions I had wished to have a small book, size that fits just inside the box and have all instruction booklets in it, maybe a little bit shrunken to fit two standard size pages on one cartridge size page. Don't know how thick it would get, perhaps that needs to be boxed as well...

I have seen these pictures used when reporting about his unfortunate death, is it really the same guy?

http://kterrl.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/jerrylawson.jpg

Liked this one:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-17c37CPtfU0/TamrJ86tjgI/AAAAAAAAAMI/eYIKeOHK0hA/s1600/jerrylawson.jpg

Edited by e5frog

Due to increased postage costs and also material costs I have decided to take on five pre-payments to cover the most immediate costs, some parts are in shipping for about 6 weeks to save on shipping so I want to be clear that it will take at least two months until any deliveries may occur.

Price for these five will be $125, I'll update the price as soon as everything is in place.

PayPal as "Personal" payment and make sure you pay the fees.

I will update the first message as pre-paid orders come in, in total I need seven names on batch #3.

TWO CARTS LEFT for the old price of $125.

New batch will cost at least $138 according to my current calculations.

Edited by e5frog

Got a message a few hours ago that the PCBs have been shipped and the components I needed will arrive tomorrow. So it seems I'll have all parts a lot earlier than expected. I borrowed some of my own money to cover it since there has been a lot of interest last few months.

The offer of $125 is off as soon as I have a final price, I'm guessing not more than 10 work days, new price is somewhere between $138 and $162 if my calculations are correct.

I'm considering selling a kit with no shell for $110, you'll get the labels and tested working PCB with soldered components but will have to supply your own shell. When box is done that will be included as well and possibly instruction book/booklet.

I guess I could also sell a complete DIY kit with components you solder yourself for less than $100 but I can't leave any guarantees other than the parts are OK when shipped.

Is anyone interested in that?

There's two, as can be seen twice on this page and in the thread starting message where the payment instructions are.

You are welcome.

Here are two new mockups of the box, I kind of like the rainbow as it's present on the first 17 boxes, it should almost be there.

Eiither it could be a mix or perhaps some version with a picture, I added the infinity symbol on it to represent all software, this should be drawn in box #1-#17 style of course.

box_mockup_rainbow1.pngbox_mockup_rainbow2.png

Edited by e5frog

Here's another idea, old style front with stylished infinity symbol, new style side with new style rainbow. Maybe for the other side it could be the newest style... so you could choose to have it in the shelf in any direction you'd like, fit in with the old ones or the newer (18-24).

box_mockup_rainbow3.jpgbox_mockup_rainbow4.pngbox_mockup_rainbow5.jpg

Fred I think Post #134 with the thumbnails of all the games should be on the back of the box and Post #148 the middle green and blue infinity sign should be on the front of the box. How would that sound?

EDIT: Have you came up with any ideas of the manual? I think it should be a HUGE manual with all the games manuals combined in it. Maybe make the box slightly bigger than normal to fit the manual?

Edited by Mark T

I thought I should throw out some ideas about boxes here and see what you that have bought these think - I was hoping for some suggestions, isn't label competitions a common thing here on AA? The back is usually some screen shots and text... but it's possible the thumbnails could fill the back up and also one with Mr Lawson.

It would be really nice to have all the manuals in a single book, not sure about the cost there yet, have to look it up.

So how about this then?

Box_Multi_Cart_mockup_full.jpg

Still two $125 carts left.