IGNORED

I finally got a Vectrex - WooHoo

VectorGamer

I finally won a Vectrex eBay auction w/o having to donate a kidney to pay for it.

Problem is, I'm still going to donate that kidney to buy games...

Two games I want off the bat are Star Castle (surprised?) and Rip-Off.

Now, with Rip-Off, is it really necessary to have an overlay for that game?

Any other games that "feel" right without the overlay? I'd be fine with cart only and doing the "nekid lady/wounded warrior" route if it means getting the games for less dough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160358490918&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_720wt_908

If you're not particularly attached to the overlays (I don't think they add much), try to find a VecFlash. Not necessarily cheap, but it's a way to play a lot of games for much less than the cost of purchasing all the games separately.

I think the manufacturer was selling some here recently so they're possibly still available new.

Edited by BigO

The VecFlash is awesome. It's great for playing around with new homebrews and such. If you just want all the released games and most of the prototypes, I suggest Sean Kelly's Vectrex Multicart. They pop up for sale now and then on ebay and they're in the $60-$80 range IIRC.

Tempest

Disappointed - this Vectrex listed as in "fantastic condition" and "tested before shipped" has a bad button #4 on the controller. You may know that this is the fire button in Mine Storm...

Tested - I doubt it...I gave the seller a neutral on top of the fact that he shipped it Fed Ex "signature required" which required driving 20 miles to pick the darn thing up. I requested USPS confirmation since I could have picked it up the same night only a few miles down the road.

I can understand covering your butt with a signature but work with the buyer a little, too...

Now, I'll end up spending more had I won a system that truly was in working order.

Disappointed - this Vectrex listed as in "fantastic condition" and "tested before shipped" has a bad button #4 on the controller. You may know that this is the fire button in Mine Storm...

Tested - I doubt it...I gave the seller a neutral on top of the fact that he shipped it Fed Ex "signature required" which required driving 20 miles to pick the darn thing up. I requested USPS confirmation since I could have picked it up the same night only a few miles down the road.

I can understand covering your butt with a signature but work with the buyer a little, too...

Now, I'll end up spending more had I won a system that truly was in working order.

Wow, that sucks. Why'd you only leave nuetral? I would have left the worst feedback possible, if he said it was working, and it didn't. Anyway, when you get a working one the best place for you to get games is going to be Atari2600.com they have a lot of vectrex games at good prices that are ussally cheaper then ebay prices(Star Castle is really rare, it doesn't come cheap anywhere, they sell it for about 80 dollars complete though I think.)

I cleaned the contacts based on what that one WWW site documented and it works like a champ.

I made amends with the seller and bumped up his feedback to a positive.

Oh, awsome. The vectrex is an awsome system, I think you should go to atari2600.com and get Scramble complete, you can also fin plenty of other complete games their

I'd rather that problem... .all the buttons on the joystick that was in "mint" condition stick and the screen jumps all over the place. I'm totally disappointed in mine. :(

• 11 years later...
On 9/11/2009 at 4:47 AM, VectorGamer said:

Don’t let it worry you too much. It’s an easy fix! Use a hairdryer to soften the adhesive on the controller top overlay, and gently prise it up from the sides, propping up with a skewer or similar laid down under the overlay as you go. Remove the screws. The controller comes apart easily. Remove the one screw securing the button PCB. Turn it over, remove the rubber part and you’ll see the contacts. Give it all a good clean (including PCB) with a q-tip dipped in alcohol. I turned the rubber part around so button 1 contact moved to button 4, as button 4 cops a hammering. Then just reassemble in reverse order. Will work fine!

Paul

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, pdr0663 said:

Don’t let it worry you too much. It’s an easy fix! Use a hairdryer to soften the adhesive on the controller top overlay, and gently prise it up from the sides, propping up with a skewer or similar laid down under the overlay as you go. Remove the screws. The controller comes apart easily. Remove the one screw securing the button PCB. Turn it over, remove the rubber part and you’ll see the contacts. Give it all a good clean (including PCB) with a q-tip dipped in alcohol. I turned the rubber part around so button 1 contact moved to button 4, as button 4 cops a hammering. Then just reassemble in reverse order. Will work fine!

Paul

Messing with ya. Happy/Proud Vec owner here as well.

This thread is prolly dead tho...

:D

I actually have a youtube vid of how to safely remove the overlay from the controller, has helped a lot of people. I'm not too techie, you just gotta be overly cautious.

LD.gif

Edited by Rogerpoco
  • Like 1