Parker Brothers, 1984

Original arcade game by:
Mylstar, 1983

TwinGalaxies High Score:
223,865 (Skill 1) by Tom Duncan

This game was suggested by:
JEFF31

Q*bert jumps from Qube to Qube, causing the cube to spin and change

to a different color. The cubes have a different color on each side.

Every level has a different cube pattern.

Settings

Skill level
- 1 Player

Use the same skill level as posted so that all the scores will be accurate!

Contest ends on

Wednesday,
09-23-09
at 1:00 AM eastern.

-Please
read the Rules & Regulations thread
for a thoural description of the HSC rules.

Current High Scores

1. atariron82
[+10]

2. Ikrananka
[+8]

3. JEFF31
[+6]

4. ed1475
[+4]

5. Ms. Do
[+2]

6. darthkur
[+1]

7. chuckwalla
[+1]

8. roadrunner
[+1]

Leaderboard

1. ed1475
[42 points]
(6)

2. user42
[38]
(6)

3. Mister VCS
[21]
(6)

4. darthkur
[19]
(5)

4. JEFF31
[19]
(6)

5. atariron82
[18]
(2)

5. Ikrananka
[18]
(6)

6. LaserHawk
[10]
(1)

7. roadrunner
[9]
(6)

8. Kurt_Woloch
[5]
(4)

9. Ms. Do
[4]
(1)

10. chuckwalla
[2]
(2)

10. 1982VideoGames
[2]
(2)

11. Shannon
[1]
(1)

11. ten-four
[1]
(1)

Number of participated rounds in brackets ( ).

Numbers in
BLUE
are numbers of rounds won.

Numbers in
GOLD
are numbers of seasons won.

Edited by Mister VCS

So managed to figure out a strategy for Level 6. Unfortunately in Level 6, Round 4 the Shoobops come immediately, there always seems to be at least two of them and they move so fast that my strategy is blown away. Every time I manage to construct one line the pair of Shoobops come along and break it up while I'm distracted trying to avoid Rat-a-tat-tat and the many many Meltniks on screen - truely insane.

Nevertheless, very happy with my score of 224,580 - great game and a lot of fun.

post-5757-12536297035_thumb.png

• Like 1

Everything kicks up a notch starting at around Level 5 Round 3. With those green 'block-flipper' guys coming out of the woodwork, making a line was quite a trick! I can't imagine how crazy it is in level 6 to get two intersecting lines. I fell 2 cubes short of my Level 6 promotion, but 40 min of hopping like mad got me this:

post-21471-125369103565_thumb.jpg

Great scores Ikrananka & Atariron82!!!!!!

Q-Bert and Q-bert Cubes are two of my favorites on the Coleco. What sort of strategy did you use on the upper levels - 5-3 and 6-1! and up!! Early bonus rounds are important... what are your secrets?

To other coleco high score club members - I was robbed.!!!!!!!! I thought for certain I had my first high score!!!! These two obviously 'cheat' :) :) :) by scoring better than me!!!!! (which is not possible ha ha glad dunctomi is not playing! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Seriously - congrats two these guys 'GREAT' scores! :lust: :lust:

And so Mister VCS.... what is next? Hopefully a game I can win! :twisted:

How about the 'really rare game Jeff31 wins' and gets 1 billion points - he he

Congrats to have played and submitted scores - this is a lot of fun for me - wish we could meet for a gaming convention...

Jeff

Great scores Ikrananka & Atariron82!!!!!!

Q-Bert and Q-bert Cubes are two of my favorites on the Coleco. What sort of strategy did you use on the upper levels - 5-3 and 6-1! and up!! Early bonus rounds are important... what are your secrets?

Hi Jeff :)

This is a lot of fun for me too! The Colecovision is my favorite system next to the Atari 5200(my other AA HSC).

Q-bert's Qubes, Tutankham and Mr. Do's Castle are among the best in my book, but there are so many great titles.

What was my strategy for Q-Qubes? As you stated, the early bonus rounds are important esp. the first. The trick is maximizing the time on the bonus clock, which is easiest in level 1. What I did was clear the first 4 waves of level 1 as quickly as possible leaving around 25 seconds for the bonus round. This left me enough time to flip the entire Pyramid :!: adding a grand total of 32,500 points to my score to begin level 2!! This probably gave me the decided edge allowing me to basically tie Ikrananka's score a whole 4 waves and a bonus round early ;)

I began level 5 with more than 8 Qberts, but it was my first time ever making it that far and death came swiftly :sad:

My method of survival, being in uncharted territory, was to hang out near the bottom rows giving me the best chance to avoid getting cornered by Mr. Rat-a-tat and Co. At that level anywhere near the top is suicide. It took me a while to figure out how to make a line without back-tracking, since no cubes are permanently "set". I quickly learned that the lower left row was the easiest to make a line, leaving the above and right sections for escape maneouvers and dealing with Mr. Rat. I spent over 15 min in level 5, using this strategy making it as far as 5-4. At that point I had 2 qberts left and made it just 2 cubes shy of the next bonus round.

This is an incredibly fun game. The only drawback was that it crashed for me a couple of times when I was above the 150K point range :x This could be my aging system or an occasional programming bug. In any case I was counting my lucky stars during this last run.

See you in the next Round(if I have the cart in my collection),

Ron