IGNORED

Vectrex Controller - How Much?

VectorGamer

Wow - what a disappointment...

I won an eBay auction for a Vectrex with Star Trek in box and Blitz. A little note taped to the bubble wrap surrounding the system stated "tested before shipment."

The seller listed the item as in "fantastic condition."

I fired up Mine Storm and guess what? Button #4 (the fire button!) doesn't work.

It feels like the button is pressed all the way down and doesn't spring back up. Does this sound familiar to anyone and how to fix it?

I'll be at Gamecore in two days and I'll see if anyone has one for sale.

How much should I spend on a working controller?

Edited by rmaerz

Wow - what a disappointment...

I won an eBay auction for a Vectrex with Star Trek in box and Blitz. A little note taped to the bubble wrap surrounding the system stated "tested before shipment."

The seller listed the item as in "fantastic condition."

I fired up Mine Storm and guess what? Button #4 (the fire button!) doesn't work.

It feels like the button is pressed all the way down and doesn't spring back up. Does this sound familiar to anyone and how to fix it?

I'll be at Gamecore in two days and I'll see if anyone has one for sale.

How much should I spend on a working controller?

It's a little bit of a pain to get the controller open, but the problem could be a really simple fix. You have to peel off the sticker on the top to access the screws to open, but this can be done without damaging the sticker if you are careful. As far as I can recall, the buttons are not microswitches but the kind where a conductor on the bottom of the button connects the traces on the board when you press it. Could be that a spring has broken or maybe the button is stuck on something you can't see from the outside. I guess I'd be a little surprised if a spring has broken. If it's a simple fix, while you're in there clean the contacts on the board with something like a pencil eraser. They can get dirty and/or corroded.

If you have to get a new controller (or a second; you really should have two anyway :cool:), I don't really have a feel for current prices on Vec stuff.

Yeah, I have one controller for my Vectrex. I've considered getting another, but the cost seem to be pretty high for a single controller.

I'd consider fixing yours first.

I will probably convert a Genesis controller over to work on the Vec to use as a second controller personally. Apparently it works well on all but 2 ( I think ) games.

desiv

Man, atari2600.com has a controller for $52 - that's almost as much as I spent for the Vectrex, controller and two games (one in box)!

That's because they're very valuable and desireable, as much as the console itself. The custom arcade style self centering control stick is impossible to replace if it breaks down (your only option being to convert Genesis or other controllers for an entire replacement of the controller). That's also why this is important - do not lay in to the stick with your thumb like a PS analog stick. They're designed to be held between the fingers (usually thumb and forefinger). I can't tell you how many kids I've had to kick off the one I have on display at the MGC because they refuse to play it without thumbing the top and pressing down.

As far as your problem, it's a common one. Underneath the buttons is a button contact strip - a literal sheet of rubber that runs the length of the buttons and has raised domes on it - these crack and split over time. You can open it up and restabalize the tops of the domes with rubber glue, a hardening epoxy, or similar.

As far as opening it up, the screws are underneath the controller overlay. Some people have managed to slowly pry it up with a small knife, but the common (and less invasive way) would be to heat up the overlay (and therefore the industrial glue underneath) with a hot air gun. As the glue desolidifies, work up overlay evenly from all sides with something thin, long, and flat. If you try and peel it from one side to the other or peel up any of the corners, the overlay will loose it's flatness (it's not a flimsy decal) since you're curving the surface. Once you lift it up, simply remove the screws and pry the case apart and you'll see the strip. Take it off and apply the glue to both sides of the dome top, with which you're simply "remolding" the dome top. When you put it back together, to put the overlay back you can simply reheat the entire overlay and any industrial glue left over on the case top, or get a hot glue gun.

Edited by wgungfu

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

ive been looking for a controller for over a MONTH now, and i havnt been able to find one at a decent price. i was very close 2 winning a bid on a brand new one for 40 dollars, but i was outbidded at the last second. does anyone know any other sites than ebay that sell vectrex controllers/accessories?

http://shop.recycledgamer.com/ they sell modded controllers but are $$.