IGNORED

TECH! Help! Possible bad flyback transformer???

Xot

So this isn't technically an Atari coin op but I'd appreciate any help y'all can offer.

I have a Double Dragon. One day, the screen just went - the monitor faded to an extremely bright white light in the center then faded, and now the monitor doesn't come on at all.

The monitor fuse had blown, so I replaced it. The monitor still didn't power on, but the fuse didn't blow this time. Checking out all the connections showed that a fuse near the neck of the monitor had blown. I replaced THAT, and when I powered the game on the fuse near the monitor neck immediate glowed and blew.

I had someone with a bit more electrical knowledge look into it, and we determined using a multimeter that the power going to fuse was way too high (duh). I'm thinking that this is a blown flyback transformer. Can anyone confirm or rebuke this diagnosis?

I'm also wondering if there's a lot of different kinds of these. Arcadeshop.com has them for $25, compared to $40 most other places. And if there's anyone who can provide some advice in the changing of this thing I'd greatly appreciate it.

Alternatively, anyone near the central Vermont area who would like to come over and help and enjoy some other classic arcade gaming should drop let me know.

Thanks in advance!

What type of monitor chassis is it? Does the tube neck still glow? If it's a Electrohome G07 the fuse under the neck is for the flyback circuit. If it blows it's almost always a bad flyback. You can usualy tell if the flyback is working by feeling the front of the screen. You can usually feel static electricty. You can also hear a faint hum if the high voltage is getting to the tube. There are probably hundreds of different types of flyback transformers. You will need the model number off your monitor chassis to get the right one. You should also know how to discharge the monitor before removing the board/replacing the flyback. It's called a flyback for good reason! It can give you a very nasty shock if you are lucky, if unlucky it can kill you.

What type of monitor chassis is it? Does the tube neck still glow? If it's a Electrohome G07 the fuse under the neck is for the flyback circuit. If it blows it's almost always a bad flyback. You can usualy tell if the flyback is working by feeling the front of the screen. You can usually feel static electricty. You can also hear a faint hum if the high voltage is getting to the tube. There are probably hundreds of different types of flyback transformers. You will need the model number off your monitor chassis to get the right one. You should also know how to discharge the monitor before removing the board/replacing the flyback. It's called a flyback for good reason! It can give you a very nasty shock if you are lucky, if unlucky it can kill you.

Yeah, I knew about the nasty voltage in the monitor. I don't remember the model of the monitor but I remember it being nonstandard. There's no hum from the monitor or static on the screen and the neck doesn't glow.

So you'd agree the flyback transformer is bad? That'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than replaing the monitor! If I get this one working I'll post the problems I have with two other bad monitors I have.

Thanks very much for you help!!

• 3 weeks later...