IGNORED

Season 2 7800 HSC Round 3 *Commando*

darthkur

1181242070156.jpg

s_Commando_14.png

You are the crack shot Commando, battling overwhelming odds to defeat advancing rebel forces! You carry out your lone crusade through hostile territory, armed with only a rifle and a few hand grenades. Enemy fire flies past you from every direction. Rebel forces leap from caves, trenches, and strongholds to block your progress. You need to break through the enemy lines to reach the fortress at the end that serves as enemy headquarters. If you're clever, you can replenish your supplies along the way from defeated outposts. Once you begin your mission, there is no retreat. The fate of the free world rests in your hands!

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great

but not mandatory. Please do not use any cheat/hack options. These include auto-fire, unlimited lives,

invincibility, etc.

Settings: Novice/One Player (Default)

Contest ends on: 10-12-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: roadrunner - 580,700 +11

2nd: Atarifever - 455,100 +10

3rd: atomickneedrop - 346,200 +9

4th: xZanU - 329,700 +8

5th: Armonigann - 279,400 +7

6th: darthkur - 145,400 +6

7th: gdement - 112,600 +5

8th: aftermac - 77,300 +4

Current Standings:

1st: darthkur (22) (2)

2nd: gdement (17)

3rd: roadrunner (15)

4th: xZanU (11)

5th: Armonigann (10)

5th: atomickneedrop (10)

5th: Shannon (10)

6th: aftermac (8)

7th: Atardi (7)

8th: segasaturn (6)

9th: Sauron (5)

10th: mimo (1)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Commando Manual

Edited by darthkur

I won the game 4 times. The 5th time playing area 1-1 is really difficult, the bullets come at you really fast.

Yeah... they're fast the fifth time. GULP. I assume you see in slow motion and have four hands.

What's with the score though? If my math serves, I'm averaging almost 10,000 more points a level than you. Do you not grab the grenades or shoot the motorcycles and jeeps? Do you miss the 2000 point guys? My play style is constant forward movement except for grabbing grenades, so unless you actively avoid shooting soldiers in front of you, either a) you're missing some great scoring opportunities or b) I haven't finished on the third and fourth difficulties, and perhaps it is progressively harder to score extra points.

Just in case it is answer "a", grenade boxes are worth as much as 3.33 enemies, and enemy officers are worth 2000 points. Also, motorcycles and jeeps can be destroyed when they're on the ground. Your ability to mop the game and outscore me makes me think my "b" theory is right, but just in case.

Edited by Atarifever

post-21467-125449615768_thumb.gif

Wow, this game is crazy. How does anyone manage to get past -any- level? Way lot of fun though. Try as I might I can not blow up that dang motorcycle on top of the bridge at the end of the first level. I even hit it once with a grenade and it just stayed there. Hmmm.

Managed to get into the first secret POW location with one guy left, but then they pulled an indiana jones on me and a giant boulder came rolling out of the right side of the screen so dam fast I had no time to move.

Can't wait to take another shot at it.

Edited by xZanU

post-21467-125450203855_thumb.gif

Getting a little better. That is some nutty action at the end of the level when the gates open up. Finally figured out that in order to free a POW all you need to do is touch them. Still have not been able to blow up a motorcycle, oh and I saw a Jeep on Level 2 I think. Neat stuff.

This game has wonderful graphics and action, the number of on-screen enemies seems pretty well balanced, however, it looks like they just keep coming. I got stuck in one spot for like 5 minutes and they never ran out of bad guys.

I won the game 4 times. The 5th time playing area 1-1 is really difficult, the bullets come at you really fast.

Yeah... they're fast the fifth time. GULP. I assume you see in slow motion and have four hands.

What's with the score though? If my math serves, I'm averaging almost 10,000 more points a level than you. Do you not grab the grenades or shoot the motorcycles and jeeps? Do you miss the 2000 point guys? My play style is constant forward movement except for grabbing grenades, so unless you actively avoid shooting soldiers in front of you, either a) you're missing some great scoring opportunities or b) I haven't finished on the third and fourth difficulties, and perhaps it is progressively harder to score extra points.

Just in case it is answer "a", grenade boxes are worth as much as 3.33 enemies, and enemy officers are worth 2000 points. Also, motorcycles and jeeps can be destroyed when they're on the ground. Your ability to mop the game and outscore me makes me think my "b" theory is right, but just in case.

I guess my score would be higher but i usually bypass the underground POW camps, the bats and spiders usually get me. There tricky to get around without dying. And i save the grenade's for the end of the area/level i still had 17 left when the game was over.

Sheesh. I just played another 3 rounds (Did not manage to clear the first level). How on earth anyone can complete all the levels is beyond me. I spend a massive amount of time fighting the bad guys. Is that what everyone else is doing?

I am going to try and do a straight run next (avoiding fighting) to see if that is any easier.

EDIT :: So I let the game demo run and see that the guy basically just runs right through the game tossing an occasional grenade and shooting at officers. I tried this and finished the first two levels in under five minutes. I died at the beginning of the next level (no lives left) and had almost half the score I normally do when trying to fight everyone.

It usually takes me 5 to 10 minutes to finish just one level, so I guess it is a toss on the method of play. I will try to do the run through as fast as possible method some more in order to bring my score up a bit.

Edited by xZanU

Sheesh. I just played another 3 rounds (Did not manage to clear the first level). How on earth anyone can complete all the levels is beyond me. I spend a massive amount of time fighting the bad guys. Is that what everyone else is doing?

I am going to try and do a straight run next (avoiding fighting) to see if that is any easier.

EDIT :: So I let the game demo run and see that the guy basically just runs right through the game tossing an occasional grenade and shooting at officers. I tried this and finished the first two levels in under five minutes. I died at the beginning of the next level (no lives left) and had almost half the score I normally do when trying to fight everyone.

It usually takes me 5 to 10 minutes to finish just one level, so I guess it is a toss on the method of play. I will try to do the run through as fast as possible method some more in order to bring my score up a bit.

The game never runs out of bad guys, they'll just keep showing up. It's best just to finish the area/level as quickly as possible.

post-21467-125451444072_thumb.gif

Got nearly three times as far just running through as quick as possible, it is definitely a bit easier (though not by much) doing it this way. I was only able to open the POW camp on the first level, I checked the map reference and was hitting the right spots, but guess I was not hitting it "just right" as it stayed closed. Lost a life too often trying this, so skip it after one attempt now.

post-21467-125476812716_thumb.gif

Found sort of a middle ground on gameplay style. I do stick around a bit longer on each level, but not quite as long as I used to. I try to run a zigzag up the middle whenever possible with the occasional side to side when there is a predictable spawn area for soldiers. I managed to get into most of the POW camps this time, but avoided the ones with the arrows in the wall booby trap as I have a hard time with those. I have not ever been able to hit the POW spot by the airplane even with a good deal of effort.

Blew up two bunkers this time, that was tricky and I lost a life the first time I tried, but got both of them my second attempt.

Found a really good strategy for the final gates at the end of each round, you can either hang out at the top right or left close to the gate opening and just mow everyone down who comes out. This is harder to do on the very last level (for which I lost 4 lives).

post-21467-125476813689_thumb.gif

Made it all the way through the game one time and died in my first few steps at the restart.