IGNORED

Harmony cart arrived today :-)

save2600

Anything else? Is there a preferred SD card? When formatting, should I mess with the allocation unit size? Is there a different firmware for me to try?

Sandisk cards seem to be the most reliable, although there are loads of fake ones on ebay. The standard FAT formatting options will be fine. We will try and post up a new firmware soon, once the fix has been tested.

Chris

Let me know when that firmware is out... my USB cable is at the ready. PM me or post to this thread. In the meantime, I think I will buy another SD card... something other than transcend.

I'm just wondering, how are you updating the BIOS? I haven't released the app to do it yet. I guess you're using the commandline version??

No problem. Should I disable all color cycling (including the logo) with the switch?

Probably - since that will also prevent the page number from cycling.

Yes Thomas, I agree. Having it as an option or getting rid of it all together would be my vote.

Neat effect, just a little too psychedelic :-)

I am not sure when exactly the fixed BIOS will be released (the flashing application was not planed to be released yet), but it will allow stopping the color cycling with the B/W switch.

That's great news Thomas - thanks. Now do I have to cross my fingers, stand on my head and perform an Indian Rain Dance for the

flashing software to be written for MacOS?

We stand a better chance of that happening though, right? Since Al's a big Mac user too :-)

Or would it be possible to simply hook the Harmony up via USB and then point our browsers

to a site that would flash our carts? Never heard of that before, but seems like all sorts of crazy

tech stuff happening these days what with all these new Web languages and plug-ins.

Edited by save2600

I am not sure when exactly the fixed BIOS will be released (the flashing application was not planed to be released yet), but it will allow stopping the color cycling with the B/W switch.

That's great news Thomas - thanks. Now do I have to cross my fingers, stand on my head and perform an Indian Rain Dance for the

flashing software to be written for MacOS?

We stand a better chance of that happening though, right? Since Al's a big Mac user too :-)

Or would it be possible to simply hook the Harmony up via USB and then point our browsers

to a site that would flash our carts? Never heard of that before, but seems like all sorts of crazy

tech stuff happening these days what with all these new Web languages and plug-ins.

I'm all for the Mac OS X as well!!!

-Disjaukifa

Now do I have to cross my fingers, stand on my head and perform an Indian Rain Dance for the flashing software to be written for MacOS?

No reason to cross your fingers, the software is written for Windows, OS-X and Linux.

BTW: Why do you add line breaks to your posts? The forum software will handle this for you.

Now do I have to cross my fingers, stand on my head and perform an Indian Rain Dance for the flashing software to be written for MacOS?

No reason to cross your fingers, the software is written for Windows, OS-X and Linux.

BTW: Why do you add line breaks to your posts? The forum software will handle this for you.

Thank you!!! I get really tired of firing up Parallels to do something I need that takes 30 seconds in Windows and then shutting it down. It works well don't get me wrong, but I hate doing it . . .

-Disjaukifa

PS 400 posts!!!

Edited by disjaukifa

I do it out of habit mostly. I guess I usually forget about the auto site squeeze play. Used to doing it as courtesy back in the Usenet days really as I hate reading other peoples rant and rave about whatever and then you have this terribly long horizontal line of mush, kind of like this. Not unlike the endless vertical annoyance which is Facebook or Myspace. I see what you mean now... depending on your window size, the formatting of my posts might look rather annoying. Doh! Thanks for the heads up. I'll remember to stay away from the return key :-)

Edited by save2600

I seem to recall seeing odd files like the Trashes one when moving USB sticks between my Mac and work PC, wonder if that might be the issue.

Google turned up this - Prevent DS_Store and Trashes Creation On USB Drives

If you are like me and you use your flash drive between your Mac and your PC then you have probably noticed some extra files that Macs leave behind when you open it up in Windows. These files are usually titled .Trashes, .DS_Store, and various other dot underscore files, which are called resource forks. After a while, quite a few of these pesky files can accumulate and you must browse through each folder to delete them only to have them reappear next time you use your device on a Mac. These files have also been known to cause problems with some MP3 players and cameras.

It mentions some cleanup utilities - the link to the free FinderCleaner is broken, but I found it here. Might be a good idea to "clean" the SD card and see if it fixes the issue. I don't have a Harmony Cart so I can't try this out for y'all.

Darrell, that link says 'file or site not found' in Dutch. I did a search for that program and keep getting the run around. Too bad, it looks real promising. I guess it used to be called iCleaner too, but can't seem to find that file anywhere either :-( Were you able to actually download it?

Edit - after a lot of searching, came across this site with the download:

http://www.macdentro.com/MacDentro/FinderClean.html

Edited by save2600

Bummer - I found this Clean Up which says it'll do the same thing. however, the .Trashes is optional and the script needs to be edited to fix it.

Clean-Up looked promising, but I can't get it to work as advertised. I drag the invisible (or not) ._ files to the icon, hit OK, but they never disappear. Even after editing the script. Can't get FinderCleaner to work either. And no, my card is not protected :-)

i got the cart to load faster for me.a friend suggested i blow into the sd card slot,so i did and it loaded my games up faster.seems i have to do this every so often.but after i do,the game list loads up so much faster.also,i noticed some of the bigger kb sized games take quite long to play,or dont play at all..any way to speed that up?or maybe its the bin itself?

2GB SanDisc not working out of the box with Directories or with Directories and .bins in the root.

Formatted with Digital Camera and tried again. Still have spinning.

Tried Samsung 32mb and doesn't recognize the format. Haven't tried to format the Samsung yet. Will let you know.

Using 6 switch woody.

i got the cart to load faster for me.a friend suggested i blow into the sd card slot,so i did and it loaded my games up faster.seems i have to do this every so often.but after i do,the game list loads up so much faster.also,i noticed some of the bigger kb sized games take quite long to play,or dont play at all..any way to speed that up?or maybe its the bin itself?

All blowing is going to do to your equipment is oxidise (rust) it quicker. Your breath wreaks of moisture dontcha know! That "trick" is what killed so many peoples Nintendo's, even though they thought it was the right thing to do. If you experienced "quicker" loading times, all you did was momentarily induced better contact between the SD card and the adapter. Either the adapter pins got bent up from manhandling improperly or your SD card is old and has seen too much use (contacts are worn, dirty and/or too thin now).

Edited by save2600

I tried formatting with my camera, and the problem BIOS could not find the card. It seems that camera formatting is not a reliable workaround.

Formatting with the Windows command prompt always works for me.

The BIOS update also can read cards formatted with my camera. As soon as we get releasable software, I will post it so users can update their BIOS.

Clean-Up looked promising, but I can't get it to work as advertised. I drag the invisible (or not) ._ files to the icon, hit OK, but they never disappear. Even after editing the script. Can't get FinderCleaner to work either. And no, my card is not protected :-)

Looks like the BlueHarvest program has a 30 day trial.