IGNORED

Harmony cart arrived today :-)

save2600

I got mine today. Holy fast shipping Batman! I ordered it Thursday and it was here by Monday.

I'm really impressed. The cart is really slick. The menu flicker caught me off guard, though I understand the reasoning for it. It really seems to work pretty well, and I tested it out with some homebrew from the Batari forum. It's really great to be able to download roms so easily to an SD card and play them on real hardware. It's surely a heck of a lot easier to use than the CuttleCart must have been.

Great job. Kudos to all the folks who worked on it!

I'm thrilled to have it! I have about a hundred carts, but no really rare ones. Now I get to see all the crap I've been missing... Ha!

Edited by Lendorien

My Harmony cart arrived today and so far everything looks great. Thanks for the special gift! icon_wink.gif I'll have more time to play with it next month since I'm very busy with work, but excellent job to all those involved this this awesome project! Also, very tidy and speedy shipping, since I only ordered it this past weekend! icon_thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...
a quick question about SD cards, you say up 32 gig in the manual. so that means I can use say a 2 or 4 gig sd card as well.

I'm looking at the prices for the cards and I can afford the 2 or 4 gig ones the higher ones are a bit pricey

I checked pricewatch.com before buying mine -- I noticed the first substantial price jump was from 2 GiB to 4 GiB, so I bought a 2. All the binaries in Rom Hunter's pack and the Hacks & Homebrews pack, at 32 KiB cluster size, add up to less than 10% of 2 GiB, so I have plenty of space to put multiple copies of each file in different places in the directory tree. I'll have them by name, by publisher, by number of players, by controller type, etc., etc.

By the way, has anyone made a list of the completed/published original homebrews (i.e. released on cart, and not a hack) which aren't Harmony-able on a NTSC system? So far I have:

ROM has copy-protection, won't work on Harmony - Gunfight, any others?

ROM size or bankswitching isn't compatible with Harmony - other than a future Boulder Dash (and a classic-era 64k multicart), do any exist?

PAL-only, no NTSC ROM exists - I Project, Kite (works, but the screen rolls)

No NTSC ROM appears to be circulating - Encaved

WIP is available, but not the final version - Melbourne Tatty

ROM has been withdrawn by the creator - Cubis; Z-Blocks?

ROM has not (yet) been released by the creator - Ebivision games; Atari2600.com games (N.E.R.D.S., Last Ninja); E.T. Book Cart; some material on the various Atariage holiday carts; Mean Santa; Guru Meditation?; Prehistoric Times?

Have I missed any? NB my purpose in putting this list together is solely to keep track of what I have, and make sure I haven't overlooked anything.

Why limit to Homebrews? I believe there are other topics here with binaries having compatibility issues and some of them are original-era releases.

Anyway, here are some more:

Copy protection - Edtris '95 (there is a hacked version of this ROM available that does work, however)
ROM size - Fu Kung! - 2 Dancing Babies Demo (3F Bankswitching) (Andrew Davie).bin
          MegaBoy (Dynacom) ~.bin
          MegaBoy (X07 Bankswitching Conversion) (2008) (Fred Quimby).bin
          MegaBoy (EF Bankswitching Conversion) (2008) (Fred Quimby).bin
          Ruby Runner Demo (4A50 Bankswitching) (2006) (John Payson) (WIP).BIN
          8 in 1 (Supergames 8 in 1) (01-16-92) (Atari) (CX26193) (Prototype).bin
          32 in 1 Game ROM (1988) (Atari) (Prototype) (PAL).bin
          32 in 1 Game Cartridge (1988) (Atari) (CX26163P) (PAL).bin
          32 in 1 Console ROM (02-10-1989) (Atari) (Prototype) (PAL).bin
No NTSC ROM in circulation - Pac-Man Arcade (Ms. Pac-Man Hack)

I've also noticed that many of the homebrew image demos from the Hacks & Homebrews 1.2b collection work under Stella but don't work on my system, but I've only tried one console so far so I don't know if it's a Harmony problem or not yet.

What about the new games from the Flashback 2 (original and/or fixed versions), are any of them available?

ROM size or bankswitching isn't compatible with Harmony - other than a future Boulder Dash (and a classic-era 64k multicart), do any exist?
Stella's Stocking is 64k.

Are the individual games from that collection available separately?

@ the moderators: instead of hijacking this topic, perhaps this subject could be moved to its own topic and merged with the other topics about apparent Harmony incompatibilty with certain ROMs.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

You sure you don't mean no PAL ROM in circulation? Because I did the Pac-Man Arcade hack, live in the US and have never even seen a PAL television in my life.

I'll check it again, but I believe I listed that one because it made the picture on my TV roll, and it rolls with all PAL games. Maybe there's a scanline count issue, or maybe I made a mistake. There are a lot of Pac-Man hacks out there, so maybe I gave the wrong one.

You sure you don't mean no PAL ROM in circulation? Because I did the Pac-Man Arcade hack, live in the US and have never even seen a PAL television in my life.

I'll check it again, but I believe I listed that one because it made the picture on my TV roll, and it rolls with all PAL games. Maybe there's a scanline count issue, or maybe I made a mistake. There are a lot of Pac-Man hacks out there, so maybe I gave the wrong one.

OK, here's the filename from the Hacks & Homebrews 1.2b collection:

Pac-Man Arcade PAL (Ms. Pac-Man Hack) (2004) (Stefan Haddewig) (PAL).bin

Is this the hack you did?

OK, here's the filename from the Hacks & Homebrews 1.2b collection:

Pac-Man Arcade PAL (Ms. Pac-Man Hack) (2004) (Stefan Haddewig) (PAL).bin

Is this the hack you did?

Nope, didn't realize someone had done a PAL version of it. Mine was the one AtariAge was selling as "Pac-Man Arcade" years ago (my original name was "A Better Pac-Man", but the AtariAge name was the one that stuck.)

Mine was the one AtariAge was selling as "Pac-Man Arcade" years ago (my original name was "A Better Pac-Man", but the AtariAge name was the one that stuck.)

OK, thanks for clearing that up! If you're Rob Kudla, your hack is already in the same Hacks & Homebrews collection. Actually, there are 2 versions of the .bin in there. Do you happen to know the difference?

Better Pac-Man, A (Ms. Pac-Man Hack) (1999) (Rob Kudla).bin

Better Pac-Man, A (Ms. Pac-Man Hack) (1999) (Rob Kudla) [a].bin

I've renamed my copies to include "(a.k.a. Pac-Man Arcade)".

OK, thanks for clearing that up! If you're Rob Kudla, your hack is already in the same Hacks & Homebrews collection. Actually, there are 2 versions of the .bin in there. Do you happen to know the difference?

Better Pac-Man, A (Ms. Pac-Man Hack) (1999) (Rob Kudla).bin

Better Pac-Man, A (Ms. Pac-Man Hack) (1999) (Rob Kudla) [a].bin

I've renamed my copies to include "(a.k.a. Pac-Man Arcade)".

Yes, I'm Rob Kudla. If you give me md5sums (or better yet, a link to the collection or a torrent thereof), I might be able to tell you which is the "real" one and which is the "alternate" one and what the difference is -- I seem to remember someone correcting my scanline count or something because it was displaying in black and white on PAL TVs -- but I've never been able to figure out how ROM namers choose to name ROMs.

Received mine yesterday. It works great . . .

However, when I broke out the Coleco Gemini :ponder: , I found that the menu does not work with the original dual joystick/paddle (the menu will scroll with the paddle, but the button and old joystick top-right trick will not work for selecting). I plugged in the joystick from my Flashback 2 (where did I put that soldering iron . . . ) and the menu worked great.

Thanks.