IGNORED

When did THIS happen?

Yowch! That looks familiar. Not sure if I experienced it firsthand or if I saw it in a magazine somewhere. Most of my crashes, fortunately, went to MacsBug where I was able to save work in other apps before restarting. :D

for those of you apple fans, I occasionally see some apples both old mac and 8 bit come in through the asset management here.

I'll set them aside and you all can have them as they come in.

Let me know if you come across anything interesting... I'll probably have to be a bit discriminating with what I take because I have so many computers, but there are a few gaps in my collection I would love to fill! :)

Ditto here, atarian63. I appreciate the offer. Though I'm afraid if I bring one more computer in the house there will be hell to pay :lol:. I just bought a PowerBook G3 and *that* was pushing it! So yeah, if I bring in another stray I need to come up with a *really good* reason.

BTW, in the spirit of this new forum I tried posting this from Mac OS 9.2.2 on my Blue & White G3 running Netscape Navigator 7.02. Wanted to see how the new forum switch held up too. Frankly I'm surprised I got past the log-in screen. This site usually falls in an infinite loop when I sign in with the elder Macs. Problem is, the Add Reply/Preview Post/Cancel buttons are AWOL (I almost spelled that AOL, lol). Maybe I should submit a bug report... :ponder: :lol:

Yowch! That looks familiar. Not sure if I experienced it firsthand or if I saw it in a magazine somewhere. Most of my crashes, fortunately, went to MacsBug where I was able to save work in other apps before restarting. :D

I have experienced the "Chimes of Doom/Death" first hand a few times. I clearly remember the first time, probably 1996, if I had to guess. I had just restarted my IIsi and I looked down at a book I was reading when it happened. I almost fell out of my chair it shocked me so much! I hard reset it and it started up fine. Much later, it started happening with regularity. I finally determined that it was a failing HD. I replaced it and it never happened again.

BTW, in the spirit of this new forum I tried posting this from Mac OS 9.2.2 on my Blue & White G3 running Netscape Navigator 7.02. Wanted to see how the new forum switch held up too. Frankly I'm surprised I got past the log-in screen. This site usually falls in an infinite loop when I sign in with the elder Macs. Problem is, the Add Reply/Preview Post/Cancel buttons are AWOL (I almost spelled that AOL, lol). Maybe I should submit a bug report... :ponder: :lol:

Last time I reported a bug like this... I believe a display problem with NCSA Mosaic on a Mac Plus with System 6.0.8, Albert replied with a fix!: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/136502-help-test-ip-board-3-0/page__view__findpost__p__1671686

Edited by aftermac

for those of you apple fans, I occasionally see some apples both old mac and 8 bit come in through the asset management here.

I'll set them aside and you all can have them as they come in.

Let me know if you come across anything interesting... I'll probably have to be a bit discriminating with what I take because I have so many computers, but there are a few gaps in my collection I would love to fill! :)

Ditto here, atarian63. I appreciate the offer. Though I'm afraid if I bring one more computer in the house there will be hell to pay :lol:. I just bought a PowerBook G3 and *that* was pushing it! So yeah, if I bring in another stray I need to come up with a *really good* reason.

I'll let you know what comes in. I used to have an employee that wanted one of EVERYTHING!

His girlfreind however did not, I did not care for the girlfreind so I made my very best efforts to send him home with any stuff I could find for free each day. He always came back with a fun story of how he had to sneak the stuff in :D

Oddly I do not have an Adam, not any more. Also don't have any Tandy computers. May have Timex Sinclair somewhere. :) And I think I have a Portfolio.

..Al

Mine (I have multiples of a bunch as well, and the list doesn't include peripherals of course) -

- Apple II+

- Apple IIE

- Apple IIE Platinum

- Apple IIc

- Apple IIGS

- Apple III

- Apple Mac 512k

- Apple Mac Plus

- Apple Mac Classic

- Apple Mac SE30

- Apple Mac LCII

- Atari 400 & 400 w/keyboard expansion

- Atari 800

- Atari 1200xl

- Atari 600xl

- Atari 800xl

- Atari 1090 XL expansion bus proto

- Atari 65XE

- Atari 130XE

- Atari 800XE

- Atari XEGS

- Atari 520ST

- Atari 1040ST

- Atari TT

- Atari Falcon

- Atari 386SX ABC laptop

- Atari Portfolio

- Commodore Vic 20

- Commodore 64 (different revisions as well)

- Commodore Plus 4

- Commodore 128

- Commodore 64c

- Commodore Amiga 2000

- Commodore Amiga 500

- Commodore Amiga 600

- Commodore Amiga 4000

- Coleco Adam

- IBM PC Jr.

- IMSAI 8080

- Mattel Aquarius

- Osborne 1

- TI99/4a computer including full expansion box setup

- TI Compact Computer 40

- Timex/Sinclair 1000

- Timex/Sinclair 2068

- TRS-80 Model 1 (full setup including expansion box)

- TRS-80 Model II

- TRS-80 Coco1

- TRS-80 Coco2

- TRS-80 Coco3

- TRS-80 Model 100 portable

- Tano Dragon 64

Think that's everything.

Just noticed this today... :thumbsup:

I don't own any classic computers as of yet (too much stuff to hook up), but now there's a forum where I can discuss the quirkiness that was our old Franklin Ace 1200.

I don't own any classic computers at present, although grew up with a Tandy 1000 SL/2, if that counts. :ponder:

Mostly used the deskmate applications, various TSR D&D games, gw-basic and qbasic, and some of the old Sierra Quest games.

When I was in Uni, I briefly owned a Tandy 1000 HX... which made for a great text editor and paperweight. Although I did do some gw-basic programming on that as well.

Just noticed this today... :thumbsup:

I don't own any classic computers as of yet (too much stuff to hook up), but now there's a forum where I can discuss the quirkiness that was our old Franklin Ace 1200.

Ahhhhh Franklin. In trying to work around Apple's Copyright they ended up making a DOS that was faster than Apple's.

I have an Ace 1000 and it's built like a tank. Better power supply, better cooling, better keyboard, built in language card, etc...

Apple started including a check in their DOS so it wouldn't run on non-Apple machines.

All you had to do was replace the ROMs and it couldn't tell the difference.

Didn't the Franklin bootstrap the ROM contents and all you had to do was put the ROMs on disk?

Something like that anyway.

Last time I reported a bug like this... I believe a display problem with NCSA Mosaic on a Mac Plus with System 6.0.8, Albert replied with a fix!: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/136502-help-test-ip-board-3-0/page__view__findpost__p__1671686

Heh, heh, heh... Now I gotta break the bad news to ole Blue. At least it still boots into Tiger. :)

When I get it all figured out I'm going to post from my 638CD with 7.x on it-- if I can get it to work.

Let us know how it goes. I couldn't find the "submit" button for the life of me. It's like there is conditional JS code "if (browserIsOlderThanDirt) {return;}" :lol:

I'll let you know what comes in. I used to have an employee that wanted one of EVERYTHING!

His girlfreind however did not, I did not care for the girlfreind so I made my very best efforts to send him home with any stuff I could find for free each day. He always came back with a fun story of how he had to sneak the stuff in :D

Collecting Macs is like collecting Atari: you are never "done". There's always something out there that'll grab your interest. Right now I'm trying to establish some rules for myself: 1. If it's a Mac I wanted "back in the day", get it and 2. If I find a real-world use for it, get it. So far I've been doing well with those guidelines...well, except for the Mac Classic, but that was a matter of life and death (for the Mac at least). :ponder:

Collecting Macs is like collecting Atari: you are never "done". There's always something out there that'll grab your interest. Right now I'm trying to establish some rules for myself: 1. If it's a Mac I wanted "back in the day", get it and 2. If I find a real-world use for it, get it. So far I've been doing well with those guidelines...well, except for the Mac Classic, but that was a matter of life and death (for the Mac at least). :ponder:

I haven't had much trouble acquiring the computers I wanted "back in the day" (though, there a some that have proved elusive), it's the finding real-world uses for all of them. Not to mention space to set them up. Unfortunately, a number of mine have quit working over the years, most likely due to failing capacitors. Still, I'd much rather have them on display and work on them when I get time, than to have them tossed out or recycled.

Here's my tally as it stands today (73 computers total):

AEGIS QV100 (Macintosh Clone)

Apple IIe

Apple IIe

Apple IIe Platinum

Apple IIgs

Apple IIgs

Atari 800XL

Atari XEGS

Commodore 64

Commodore Vic 20

Gateway Profile

Homemade AMD 2 GHz (MAME Cabinet)

Homemade AMD K62 400

IBM 8086

IBM 8086

Macintosh 512Ke

Macintosh 5200/120

Macintosh 6100/60

Macintosh 7200/90

Macintosh 8600/200

Macintosh 9500/132

Macintosh Beige PowerMac G3 Mini-Tower

Macintosh Blue & White PowerMac G3

Macintosh Centris 610

Macintosh Centris 650

Macintosh Classic

Macintosh Classic II

Macintosh Classic II

Macintosh Color Classic

Macintosh iBook G4

Macintosh IIci

Macintosh IIci

Macintosh IIcx

Macintosh IIcx/iMac (project)

Macintosh IIfx

Macintosh IIsi

Macintosh IIsi

Macintosh IIvx

Macintosh iMac 233

Macintosh LC

Macintosh LC II

Macintosh LC III

Macintosh Mac II

Macintosh Mac II

Macintosh Mac TV

Macintosh MacBook Pro

Macintosh Performa 550

Macintosh Plus

Macintosh Plus

Macintosh Plus

Macintosh Portable

Macintosh PowerBook 160

Macintosh PowerBook 165c

Macintosh PowerBook 180

Macintosh PowerBook Duo 2300

Macintosh PowerMac G4 Digital Audio

Macintosh Quadra 605

Macintosh Quadra 630

Macintosh Quadra 650

Macintosh Quadra 700

Macintosh Quadra 700

Macintosh Quadra 840AV

Macintosh Quadra 950

Macintosh SE

Macintosh SE

Macintosh SE

Macintosh SE/30

Macintosh Workgroup Server 80

Newton MessagePad 120

Power Computing PowerCenter Pro 210 (Macintosh Clone)

Sun SparcStation 20

Sun Ultra 60

Since we're comparing, uh, "storage size", let's see what I can remember off the top of my head:

* TRS-80 Model 1 (my original computer)

* (I got rid of what Model IIIs I had years ago)

* TRS-80 Model 4 (though I've had troubles getting them working, including gassing a green screen CRT once when trying to put the lid on the damn thing, thank you Tandy for the crappy design, and at least one that has raster but no video signal - and I am not caring much since I ripped all my floppy disks)

* TRS-80 Model 4P (they always need that stupid pot adjusted to sync 80 columns, but at least I have one with a low serial number)

* TRS-80 Model 12 and 16 (I wanna get one of these babies up and running Unix someday, and I have a bunch of 8" floppies to rip if I ever get a cable to hook a drive to a Catweasel)

* Apple IIgs (two complete units, one with a Vulcan HD and another with a SCSI card, both with 8M or so of RAM and Woz lids swapped from ROM-0 units)

* Franklin Apple II clone, but the keyboard has foam pieces that have disintegrated

* TI 99/4A, and I think I may even have a PEB lurking somewhere, but I don't know where

* VIC-20 (one of two of them with the original box)

* C-64

* C-128

* C-128D (two of them, and why I never fired up the other C-64/C-128s)

* Aquarius (with some carts and the joystick module and I think I have a 16K module)

* Spectravision SV-328 (or maybe it's a 318)

* Atari 800, 600XL, 800XL, 1200XL, XEGS

* Atari ST

* Atari ST-030 (TT?) (re-cased for some musician application)

* Heathkit H-8 and a dual floppy box for it, never powered either this or the H-11

* Heathkit H-11 (no floppy controller card, but manuals that indicated it had one once)

* Zenith Z-19 (?) the one in a computer terminal case, and it has a floppy drive

* Kaypro 10 (CP/M with HD)

* Kaypro 16 (?) (their 8088 clone)

* Osborne I (bad power supply - I got rid of all but one without testing that last one)

* An Intergraph Unix workstation (freaking boat anchor) that used the Clipper chip

* I also have an ADM-3A terminal in less than good condition, and it seems to have a raster but the digital electronics don't work

...and that's all I can think of right now

I wouldn't mind getting rid of a few of these things, and will be happy to sell many of them if I don't have to ship anything, which essentially means we need freaking meet-ups/shows in Texas already. (All we have right now is a pin/coin-op thing in Houston)

Here's my collection of older (1999 and earlier) computers:

Atari 400: 5200 gaming goodness without the 5200 controllers!

Commodore 64: three power supplies and none of them seem to work :(

AppleIIgs - Woz edition: no real use, except when I'm feeling nostalgic and want to run my old high school programming disk.

Macintosh Classic: used for black & white System 6 gaming goodness. :)

Macintosh Performa 6116CD (upgraded to 225MHz G3): used for scanning slides and negatives and as a bridge to the older computers. Runs older games like TIE Fighter rather well too!

PowerMac G3 Blue&White (Revision 2, 1.1 GHz G3 upgrade): used for animation, illustrating, gaming, and Mac OS 9 development.

PowerBook G3 300MHz (Wallstreet II/PDQ): will be used as a portable version of the Blue&White. :)

It's pretty slim pickins to be honest. I never took very good care of my old home computers, since they're of little use in this day and age and don't have the collector's value of game systems. I do have a Commodore Plus 4 in the box (WHY?!), some VIC-20s, a few Commodore 64s, and a couple of Apples my parents bought at a garage sale for a pittance. And oh yeah, there's a PowerMac of some sort too. I thought it was cute but I never did much with it past screwing around with the voice synthesis and playing a couple minutes of a graphic adventure starring furries... Inherit the Earth, I think.

I didn't notice this section until last night. I think that it's a great addition to the forums here. :thumbsup:

Since so many are posting lists I figure I might as well too. :P

Amiga:

A500 (2)

A1000

Amstrad:

CPC 464 w/ GT 65 monitor

CPC 664 (non functional)

Apple:

IIe

IIc

IIgs

2 Macintosh SE

Macintosh SE/30

2 Macintosh Classic (1 defective)

Macintosh Classic II (defective)

Macintosh LC II

Macintosh LC 520

Power Macintosh 6100/60AV (video problems)

Performa 6400/180 (non-working)

G3 iMac

AT&T PC 6300 (video problems)

Atari 800 (2) (one CIB and one non working)

Atari 800XL (3) (one non-working)

Atari 1040 STF

Commodore:

PET Model 8032 w/ double FDD model 8250 (3 of each)

Vic-20 (original brown/gold badged) (3 two w/ box)

C64 (original "bread box) (2 one w/ box)

C128 (model 1)

C128D (3)

Plus/4 (3 two w/ box) (one good and other two non-functional)

C16 (2) (one good w/ box, one defective)

IBM:

5150 (issues)

5160 XT (2, one good, 1 semi operative)

PCjr w/ PCjr color display and printer and speech sidecars

PS/1 Consultant 486SX 25mhz

Leading Edge:

DC 2011 (XT clone) (2)

Mattel Aquarius (2) (one CIB)

Sega SC3000

Sinclair:

Spectrum +2 (original gray model)

Sony:

MSX2+ HB-F1XDJ (was badly damaged by some careless postal worker.)

MSX2+ HB-F1XV (2)

Tandy:

Color Computer 1

Color Computer 2 (2)

Color Computer 3

Texas Instruments:

TI99/4A (3)

(2) w/ Peripheral Expansion Box "PEB",

Timex/Sinclair - 1000 (3 only one of which is good.)

Plus lots of accessories for all the above and an assortment of misc towers and laptops all in various states of functionality. I really need to learn how to fix some of this stuff or give it to someone that does. :ponder:

Edited by darthkur

I didn't notice this section until last night. I think that it's a great addition to the forums here. :thumbsup:

Since so many are posting lists I figure I might as well too. :P

Amiga:

A500 (2)

A1000

Amstrad:

CPC 464 w/ GT 65 monitor

CPC 664 (non functional)

Apple:

IIe

IIc

IIgs

2 Macintosh SE

Macintosh SE/30

2 Macintosh Classic (1 defective)

Macintosh Classic II (defective)

Macintosh LC II

Macintosh LC 520

Power Macintosh 6100/60AV (video problems)

Performa 6400/180 (non-working)

G3 iMac

AT&T PC 6300 (video problems)

Atari 800 (2) (one CIB and one non working)

Atari 800XL (3) (one non-working)

Atari 1040 STF

Commodore:

PET Model 8032 w/ double FDD model 8250 (3 of each)

Vic-20 (original brown/gold badged) (3 two w/ box)

C64 (original "bread box) (2 one w/ box)

C128 (model 1)

C128D (3)

Plus/4 (3 two w/ box) (one good and other two non-functional)

C16 (2) (one good w/ box, one defective)

IBM:

5150 (issues)

5160 XT (2, one good, 1 semi operative)

PCjr w/ PCjr color display and printer and speech sidecars

PS/1 Consultant 486SX 25mhz

Leading Edge:

DC 2011 (XT clone) (2)

Mattel Aquarius (2) (one CIB)

Sega SC3000

Sinclair:

Spectrum +2 (original gray model)

Sony:

MSX2+ HB-F1XDJ (was badly damaged by some careless postal worker.)

MSX2+ HB-F1XV (2)

Tandy:

Color Computer 1

Color Computer 2 (2)

Color Computer 3

Texas Instruments:

TI99/4A (3)

(2) w/ Peripheral Expansion Box "PEB",

Timex/Sinclair - 1000 (3 only one of which is good.)

Plus lots of accessories for all the above and an assortment of misc towers and laptops all in various states of functionality. I really need to learn how to fix some of this stuff or give it to someone that does. :ponder:

That is one heck of a list! My wife might rebel if I tried to have that much!

Neat, a classic computing forum. :)

I'll post my somewhat up to date list

Apple IIc x3 Boxed

Apple IIe

Apple IIe Platinum

Apple IIGS x2 *2

Apple Mac Performa 475

Apple Mac Performa 550 *5

Apple Powerbook Duo 2300c

Atari MegaSTE4

Atari 1040ST x2

Atari Stacy 4

Atari 1200XL x2 Boxed *1

Atari 130XE x3 Boxed

Atari 800

Atari 800XL

Atari Falcon '030 *8

Atari Portfolio

Colecovision Adam

Commodore 128 x2 Boxed

Commodore 64 x2 Boxed

Commodore 64C

Commodore Amiga 1200 Boxed *4

Commodore Amiga 500 x2

Commodore Amiga CD32 x2 Boxed *3

Commodore SX-64

Commodore Vic 20 Boxed

C-One

Texas Instruments 99/4A x2 Boxed *7

Sinclair ZX Spectrum +2

Timex Sinclair 1000 x2 Boxed

Timex Sinclair 1500 TLS Case

1chip MSX Boxed

minimig Amiga x2 *6

*1 256K Rambo compatible upgrade / Internal SIO2PC USB / Supervideo 2.1 upgd / APE Warp 32in1 OS

*2 170MB Alltech FocusCard HD / Sirius RAM IIGS 8MB RAM exp

*3 SX32 MK2 / 8MB / 4GB 2.5" HD

*4 GVP 1230 Turbo+ / Jaws (68030 @40Mhz w/FPU) / 20MB RAM / 4GB internal CF HD / Indivision AGA / Catweasel MK2 / PCMCIA Ethernet

*5 Sonnet Presto Plus 33 MHz 68040, Ethernet, 32 MB RAM / Apple II PDS compatibility card

*6 ARM expansion board

*7 PEB system, P-Code, 32K RAM, Disk controller, 90K floppy, CF7A+ interface

*8 14MB RAM / 4GB internal CF HD / 68882 FPU

Edited by remowilliams

Doesn't anyone here like the Amstrad CPC's???

They were great and soooooo much better than the spectrum :P

(before someone tries to kill me that was a joke!!!)

In the UK we also had the Dragon 32 and Dragon 64 which were almost the same as the Tandy CoCo. It didn't do very well at all...

Sweet! Now I can yak about Mac!

Is Mac OS 9 classic enough? :ponder:

Sorry this forum requires System 7.1 (with Enabler 065) or earlier. ;)

Do I need an FPU? Can I connect to it using my Super Serial Card?

For an optimal web browsing experience, I'd recommend installing a 68882 FPU... if you have a IIsi, the FPU/NuBus adapter and 10 Mb network card is a must! For proud IIci owners a cache card probably wouldn't hurt. Also, don't forget that some classic Mac's will need an AAUI adapter! All you non-expandable compact Mac owners will need either dial-up, a MacIP router (such as a Gatorbox... I have one!), or a SCSI-Ethernet adapter.

Now if you want to use your Super Serial Card, you'll need to setup your Apple II as a terminal to a more modern computer. I run terminal software on my Apple IIe and hook it to my PowerMac with a Keyspan Serial-USB adapter, then run LYNX (which I had to install on the Mac) on the Apple IIe terminal. I have posted to AtariAge with the old forum software like this, but not since the upgrade.

For an optimal web browsing experience, I'd recommend installing a 68882 FPU...

How exactly does an FPU help with web browsing?

Sorry, that was more sarcasm than anything...

EDIT: Though for the fastest possible experience, having a math co-processor can only help... if only a little. I'm sure there is some floating-point math in there somewhere...

Edited by aftermac