IGNORED

Discuss these first gen Games please

Cybergoth

Hi there!

Reading through many a review of the early 2006/2007 PS3 releases, these magnificent seven sounded the most interesting to me:

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Orange Box

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Ninja Gaiden Sigma

The Darkness

Heavenly Sword

Resistance: Fall of Man

Folklore

What do you think of these now, were they worth their money?

Greetings,

Manuel

Oblivion is pretty fun, but it's not as immersive as its predecessor, Morrowind. On the Morrowind box they say 'over 150+ hours of gameplay' and for the first time, advertisers MEAN it. I still play that game regularly and have played definitely over 150 hours and still have yet to see or do everything.

The Orange Box is better on PC than console, but that's just because Steam has much better multiplayer options than PSN or Live.

Hi there!

Reading through many a review of the early 2006/2007 PS3 releases, these magnificent seven sounded the most interesting to me:

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Orange Box

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Ninja Gaiden Sigma

The Darkness

Heavenly Sword

What do you think of these now, were they worth their money?

Greetings,

Manuel

Funny but every single one of those is worth the money except the only game I do not own and haven't played on that list is The Darkness :(

Heavenly Sword and Ninja Gaiden Sigma are both similar. They are both action games (lots of fighting).

The fighting "engine" in Sigma is smoother graphically than HS but the storyline and some of the characters are very memorable in HS. Also, some of the mini games in HS are great. HS is in my opinion somewhat a forgotten title that many people missed. I finished it and it was worth it. Sigma simply kicks ass.

Orange Box was somewhat my least favorite on that list because the only thing that made it great for me was Portal.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune quite possibly is the best overall video game in this generation.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, a classic (western) RPG, kind of what I prefer these days. Worth every cent.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, simply fun coupled with more fun. :D

The Darkness kicked much ass.

It should be noted I only played the 360 version though but I assume they are the same.

If you want a FPS with a twist (The ability to use DEMON powers as long as you stay in the dark) and an atmospheric setting, you will love the game.

If you aren't a fan of FPSs however, you might be turned off.

Heavenly Sword and Ninja Gaiden Sigma are both similar. They are both action games (lots of fighting).

The fighting "engine" in Sigma is smoother graphically than HS but the storyline and some of the characters are very memorable in HS. Also, some of the mini games in HS are great. HS is in my opinion somewhat a forgotten title that many people missed. I finished it and it was worth it. Sigma simply kicks ass.

Did I get you right then, that when forced to choose between the two, you'd go with Ninja Gaiden?

The Darkness kicked much ass.

If you want a FPS with a twist (The ability to use DEMON powers as long as you stay in the dark) and an atmospheric setting, you will love the game.

Interesting enough, after reading your comment I went on watching several videos of the game last night, incl. the Gametrailers review, and I must say that in spite of the promsing name the art direction and setting didn't appeal much too me.

It also seemed the main character is more the dislikable sleazebag than a kick ass Duke Nukem type, or am I getting a wrong impression here?

Games I played on the PS3:

Oblivion - I cannot begin to count the number of hours I've spent on this game... well over 100. Play value is incredible.

Ratchet & Clank - fun, Fun, FUN game.

Orange Box - Ugh... avoid this and get the Xbox360 version as this version has glitches galore, especially with framerate. Valve has publicly stated they don't like the PS3 and this game proves it.

Uncharted - one of my two favorite games (along with Valkyria Chronicles) on the PS3. The game is incredible and I cannot wait until next week and Uncharted 2... I will not be heard from (except in online multiplayer) for a couple weeks after my purchase.

Mendon

Oblivion - I cannot begin to count the number of hours I've spent on this game... well over 100. Play value is incredible.

That's good to hear. I just learned that there's a GotY Edition available, I suppose this is the one to get?

Orange Box - Ugh... avoid this and get the Xbox360 version as this version has glitches galore, especially with framerate. Valve has publicly stated they don't like the PS3 and this game proves it.

Thanks, that's a fair warning. I think I'll play it some day on the PC then :)

Did I get you right then, that when forced to choose between the two, you'd go with Ninja Gaiden?

Oh yes definitely. Once you learn the enemy patterns and "level up" your weapons its not that hard of a game, its simply challenging. Which is good. Plus its a great adventure with underground caverns, giant dragons, demons etc. You also get to cast some spells (Ninpo- magic) to help on offense. Great great game.

But if you can also get Heavenly Sword for cheap I would get it too. After playing Ninja Gaiden you will feel like almost all other action games are not as good but give HS a chance and you will enjoy that too.

That's good to hear. I just learned that there's a GotY Edition available, I suppose this is the one to get?

Thanks, that's a fair warning. I think I'll play it some day on the PC then :)

yea, get the game of the year edition, it includes the expansions.

if you can find it for a decent price heavenly sword is awesome. its production values are staggering and the near life-like animation has yet to be topped.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - one of my favorite series. One thing I really liked was that even though it's a 720p game, it scaled itself up to 1080(my 2001 HDTV won't accept a 720 signal, it must be scaled by an outside source). Other games, like Portal, that weren't written for 1080 will send a 480 signal instead, with a noticeable drop in picture quality when compared to this title.

Orange Box - Loved Portal, can't play the other games in it due to motion sickness(not sure why I don't get sick playing Portal - I was expecting to have to play Portal 15 minutes at a time :D). Load times were annoying; but I loth Microsoft so I don't have an Xbox or PC, so the PS3 was my only choice to get my Portal fix.

Super Stardust HD - fun game from the online store, released in 2007.

Orange Box - Loved Portal, can't play the other games in it due to motion sickness(not sure why I don't get sick playing Portal - I was expecting to have to play Portal 15 minutes at a time :D). Load times were annoying; but I loth Microsoft so I don't have an Xbox or PC, so the PS3 was my only choice to get my Portal fix.

That's a very interesting point. I'm also heavily affected by motion sickness, albeit the only recent game I experienced this is Deadly Creatures. (The 3D Battle scenes of Fire Emblem also, but they can be deactivated.)

=====

I added Folklore and Resistance to my list on top, I somehow forgot about them at the time of the orignal post.

The GOTY edition of Oblivon is, happily, the one selected for the budget Platinum release (in PAL territories at least). I liked Oblivion but didn't really get to care for any of the characters. For me, Fallout 3 just blew it away (and every other game ever for that matter).

I was very disappointed with Folklore - a nice idea but with a repetitive dreary game at it's core.

If it's launch games you want, may I recommend Ridge Racer 7. Big arcade fun!