IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

The games I see on YouTube look like MSX games. With things like C-BIOs out in the wild how hard would it be to just plain run MSX binaries on the module?

Well, you need the MSX BIOS, for one thing, which the SGM doesn't offer. You also need a keyboard, because a lot of MSX games are more or less keyboard-centric. I'm sure there are several other technical dependencies.

The games I see on YouTube look like MSX games. With things like C-BIOs out in the wild how hard would it be to just plain run MSX binaries on the module?

Well, you need the MSX BIOS, for one thing, which the SGM doesn't offer. You also need a keyboard, because a lot of MSX games are more or less keyboard-centric. I'm sure there are several other technical dependencies.

C-BIOs doesn't do that? I thought it was a clean BIOs replacement? I understand it isn't the only hurdle to MSX compatibility but C-BIOs seems a big part.

Edited by theloon

C-BIOs doesn't do that? I thought it was a clean BIOs replacement? I understand it isn't the only hurdle to MSX compatibility but C-BIOs seems a big part.

Perhaps, but consider this: The ColecoVision's native BIOS is not stored inside the game cartridge. It's inside the console itself. So if you want to replace the CV BIOS with the MSX BIOS, you have to put the entire MSX BIOS inside the game cartridge (and ignore the native CV BIOS), and that's largely impractical, even if a MegaCart is used.

Also, from what I know of it, the hardware I/O features (of the joystick and keyboard in particular) of the MSX are very different from those of the CV, so there's a source of incompatibility for running MSX binaries right there.

I'm not saying it's totally impossible, but if it is possible, it probably involves coding a super-custom version of the MSX BIOS, and it probably won't offer 100% compatibility with all MSX binaries, far from it.

I know the price of the SGM has been talked about before but I was curious as to how much the games will generally sell for? Will it be significantly more than a typical game since it has EPROM and all that good stuff?

An EPROM? None of the launch games will have such a thing. King's Valley will be a regular 32K cart, and the other games will simply use MegaCarts (the same kind as Pac-Man Collection). Electronics are only a small part of the cost equation when it comes to releasing games with box and manual. I'm not sure yet what the prices will be for my upcoming SGM games, but it could be a little higher than usual. I'm trying to keep all games in the 40-50$ range.

I know the price of the SGM has been talked about before but I was curious as to how much the games will generally sell for? Will it be significantly more than a typical game since it has EPROM and all that good stuff?

My SGM games will still be priced the same, $40 and under.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.... Unless some serious s*** happens, I will start taking orders next week. I will give all the details about price, conditions, games, etc by then.

We are done with the packaging mostly, just missing pictures now, but we cannot take pictures until I get the final SGM case. The prototype is white and the finishing doesn't compare to a real injected plastic piece. That is why we need to order the mold ASAP.

Oh, btw, we have now 240 names.... :D

• Like 7