IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

How much will this cost, do you think? Will it come with a pack-in game?

I cannot give an exact price yet, because actually we just started the plastic case project, but I believe we will have the answer for that in about a month. However I can tell you that we are aiming for $50, which I believe should be a very good deal considering similar projects.

About pack-in, my deal with River West Brands (for the use of the Coleco name) doesn't allow me to include unauthorized software with the module (and I believe you know what I mean by that), so no pack-ins. However the non inclusion of a pack-in will be reflected at the lower price.

Finally me and Dale are working hard to offer 3 games for the module this year, Goonies, Donkey Kong Arcade and Knightmare. All of them will come in a new deluxe packaging that I hope will raise the bar for homebrew presentation. And of course the games themselves will use the new MegaCart2 and because fo that will be able to at least store their own high-score table. DK will also store current [arcade] settings, Goonies will offer the option to start from already completed stages and Knightmare will keep track of already visited stages to offer warp doors.

$50.00???!!!!!

Hell, even I can afford that! It'll take a bit of time, but I can do it- and so I will.

How much do you figure the cartridges for this thing will be? Can it play regular ones, still?

Will it improve the quality of the regular ones, like reducing flickering, for example?

Keep us all up to date. Don't forget the DP, too!

Thanks!

Edited by CV Gus

It's hard to guess from the tech specs what exactly this thing can do- how about a basic comparison? How would it compare to, say, an NES or SMS? Maybe a Genesis, or somewhere between an NES and Genesis? Overall, that is.

It's still pretty much a ColecoVision on steroids. It's more like the MSX1. The extra RAM allows for much more complex gameplay and better, more accurate arcade ports. The extra PSG improves sound and give us twice as many sound channels. The parallel port allows us to come with some interesting peripherals, like real paddles, keyboards, storage, connection between ColecoVisions, etc.

For more radical changes we can wait for the ColecoVision2 coming next year or 2012.

Quick update:

Board was shipped today, should get it before the end of the week.

The other news is that even though I still need to receive the first alpha, I have already added a small change to the design (no extra components, only a slightly different signal routing and PLD program).

With the new revision 1.1 the board will offer full 32KB of RAM instead of the 24KB offered by revision 1.0. That is done disabling the CV BIOS and replacing it with RAM. Selecting BIOS or RAM is done by software and default is BIOS selected. So what is the big deal you ask? Well, with that every module game can replace the not so great CV BIOS (I never use it anyways) with its own custom set of basic routines, so every game gets an extra 8KB of linear memory that can be used for code or data.

Eduardo

With the new revision 1.1 the board will offer full 32KB of RAM instead of the 24KB offered by revision 1.0. That is done disabling the CV BIOS and replacing it with RAM. Selecting BIOS or RAM is done by software and default is BIOS selected. So what is the big deal you ask? Well, with that every module game can replace the not so great CV BIOS (I never use it anyways) with its own custom set of basic routines, so every game gets an extra 8KB of linear memory that can be used for code or data.

Nice idea! I would guess this will help a lot with MSX ports. :)

I got to the point where I must decide the final name for the module. I discarded Opgrade because of our new association with RWB. Memory Module sounds ok, but there isn't much you can do to name stuff around it, like which name you would give to a game that requires the Memory Module, a "Memory Game"? And also the "Memory Module" is actually a bit more than just memory.

Super Expansion Module sounds kind of too pompous for what the module is now, kind of stripped down version of its former self.

Then we have Super Game Module, which is kind of cool and such, and has the advantage that I would name games for it the "Super Games". However that has been already done by Coleco and would become confusing. As a parenthesis here, check what Coleco said in their flyer for the "Super Game Module":

"Expands the memory capacity of your ColecoVision Game System to let you play even more realistic arcade games!"

And then:

"More than ever before, ColecoVision EXPANSION MODULE #3 brings home the arcade experience with computer-age precision! This Super Game Module plugs right into the Expansion Port on your ColecoVision console and plugs you into a world of finer-than-ever game detail! After you've hooked it up, just slip in a Super Game Wafer and you're ready for the video game experience of a lifetime. Super Game Wafers capture every last detail of arcade games... the subtle nuances like "intermissions" and the special extras, too. You can even post the initials of the high scorers on the screen... just like in the real arcade games."

Now replace "Super Game Wafer" with "Super Game Cartridge" and you get instant description for the new module. Very in line with what I am aiming for.

The original SGM was supposed to have 16KB of RAM (I have seen 30KB mentioned by some sources, but that number just doesn't sound right). And of course it had the microwafer drive to load games and save data. Coleco had also planned to release a computer module (before the ADAM had been conceived) to further expand the Super Game Module (by means of the expansion port at the front of the SGM unit). The computer module was supposed to add another 16KB of RAM (for a total of 33KB), plus a keyboard and BASIC.

My new module is actually pretty similar. It offers 32KB of RAM, it offers an new expansion port. When coupled with the new MegaCart you also get massive storage for games (in fact the same as the microwafers, 128KB), plus some space to save data (like high-scores), just like the original SGM.

And by means of the new module's parallel port we could also expand the system to become a simple computer (though I must say that isn’t something I want to pursue), with both a PS2 keyboard input and SD card for storage (and BASIC on cartridge). So it’s pretty much what Coleco was trying to do, though using more modern and reliable technology.

Anyway, that isn't the point of this post, what I would like to know from you guys is which name you think we should use for the new module. Before you send me suggestions, here are a couple of things to keep in mind:

- The name should use/have a “catchy” part that we could use with related products like games and accessories.

- The name should work ok with our Coleco/RWB deal, or if you prefer, the name should work with ColecoVision attached in front of it. (oh, and the name should end with the word "module").

Eduardo

Anyway, that isn't the point of this post, what I would like to know from you guys is which name you think we should use for the new module. Before you send me suggestions, here are a couple of things to keep in mind:

- The name should use/have a “catchy” part that we could use with related products like games and accessories.

- The name should work ok with our Coleco/RWB deal, or if you prefer, the name should work with ColecoVision attached in front of it. (oh, and the name should end with the word "module").

Eduardo

Some quick thoughts:

ColecoVision Infinity Module (you can also use the infinity symbol)

ColecoVision Arcade Module

ColecoVision NG Module (NG = Next Generation)

ColecoVision Apex Module

ColecoVision Express Module

ColecoVision Phoenix Module

ColecoVision Future Module

ColecoVision Today Module

Looks like me and Bill were doing the same thing. :) Brainstorming continues!

RAMBOard Module

Extended Life Independent Technical Enchancer/ment (ELITE)

Colecovision Opcode Ram Expander (ColecoVision CORE)

PROgRAM module

PLUS Module

Realistic Arcade / Radically Advanced Memory (RAM) Module

MEGA Module

OpCade Module

COIN-OP Module

Looks like me and Bill were doing the same thing. :) Brainstorming continues!

RAMBOard Module

Extended Life Independent Technical Enchancer/ment (ELITE)

Colecovision Opcode Ram Expander (ColecoVision CORE)

PROgRAM module

PLUS Module

Realistic Arcade / Radically Advanced Memory (RAM) Module

MEGA Module

OpCade Module

COIN-OP Module

Ok, I liked several of the suggestions so far. "Super" or "Super Game" has been used to death in the past, like Super Famicom and its hundreds of games called "Super Something", so I would prefer to avoid that.

Usually I like simple names, and I especially liked the MEGA, PLUS, Arcade, Realist Arcade and NG suggestions.

With some of the ideas here I realized that perhaps we don't need to stick to the old Coleco template of name, so perhaps we don't need to append "Module" in every name. An alternative would be "System". For example, "ColecoVision Modular Arcade Plug-in System (MAPS)", or perhaps just "ColecoVision Modular Arcade System (MAS)". That would be a good name to describe not just the module itself but all related products like new games, controllers and general accessories like the keyboard. But I am not a native English speaker so you guys tell me how that sounds... :)

BTW, it is funny that you mentioned COIN-OP, because that was the name I used for my little homebrew business until the last minute (COIN-OP Software), when I changed to OPCODE (a few months before releasing SIC) for some reason that I cannot remember, I think it is because the domain name was already taken, but I am not sure.

I'll probably get flamed for this suggestion but....how about ColecoVision XP Module (an obvious copy of Microsoft's Windows moniker for eXPerience). So my list of suggestions:

ColecoVision XP Module

ColecoVision EX Module (another EXperience moniker - kind of goes along with the ColecoVision Experience magazine)

ColecoVision XM Module (XM for eXtra Memory)

ColecoVision AEX Module (Arcade EXperience)

Hmmmm - seems I like the idea of 'X' being in the name :D

Sorry Ikrananka... Sega killed the "x" thing for me with the 32x. :) And that would be my concern with NG. I like the Next Generation idea, but my initial thought is that it sounds too close to another Sega product, the Genesis. I know Generation and Genesis are not exactly sound-alikes, but that's where my brain went. :)

Eduardo, I like the thought path you're heading down (and the acronym usage), but MAPS doesn't do it for me personally. Doesn't sound very video game oriented, or 'flashy'. Apex may have something to it though... How about Authentic Player EXperience? Authentic Program EXperience? Arcade Player Enchanced Xperience?

Or there's potential to play off the ADAM name. Maybe like BRAD- Best Realistic Arcade Design?

Or, with the idea that Adam is simply a phonetic for A (as in the LAPD's alphabet), then Boy would be next... How about The ColecoVision BOY (Bringing On Youth? Biggest Opcode Year?)

Or The ColecoVision TOP-- The Opcode Platform. From a marketing point of view, 'Platform' works better than 'system' for me, since the CV is a 'system' already, and this unit will require it to function.

The Coin-OP name still jumps out at me. :) Pays homage to OpCode in the name, sounds game related. Easy to tie in the Arcade theme. Complete Obsession Is Next? Changing Obsolete Into New?

Just more brainstorming. :)

Sorry Ikrananka... Sega killed the "x" thing for me with the 32x. :) And that would be my concern with NG. I like the Next Generation idea, but my initial thought is that it sounds too close to another Sega product, the Genesis. I know Generation and Genesis are not exactly sound-alikes, but that's where my brain went. :)

Eduardo, I like the thought path you're heading down (and the acronym usage), but MAPS doesn't do it for me personally. Doesn't sound very video game oriented, or 'flashy'. Apex may have something to it though... How about Authentic Player EXperience? Authentic Program EXperience? Arcade Player Enchanced Xperience?

Or there's potential to play off the ADAM name. Maybe like BRAD- Best Realistic Arcade Design?

Or, with the idea that Adam is simply a phonetic for A (as in the LAPD's alphabet), then Boy would be next... How about The ColecoVision BOY (Bringing On Youth? Biggest Opcode Year?)

Or The ColecoVision TOP-- The Opcode Platform. From a marketing point of view, 'Platform' works better than 'system' for me, since the CV is a 'system' already, and this unit will require it to function.

The Coin-OP name still jumps out at me. :) Pays homage to OpCode in the name, sounds game related. Easy to tie in the Arcade theme. Complete Obsession Is Next? Changing Obsolete Into New?

Just more brainstorming. :)

Hey, you say you don't like 'X' and then you suggest APEX - what gives - sounds like you are definately Xist? :D Just kidding around :D

I generally agree with your thoughts and also personally don't warm to MAPS.

I'm not keen on NG either - what makes this a Next Generation unit? Doesn't it just add more memory (not that I'm putting the module down at all - adding more memory has just never seemed Next Generation to me)?

I do like the idea of levering off of the ADAM name. How about EVE (possibly Expanded Videogame Experience)? Plus, with it being a palindrome, it lends itself very nicely to symmetrical logo design.

I'll probably get flamed for this suggestion but....how about ColecoVision XP Module (an obvious copy of Microsoft's Windows moniker for eXPerience). So my list of suggestions:

ColecoVision XP Module

ColecoVision EX Module (another EXperience moniker - kind of goes along with the ColecoVision Experience magazine)

ColecoVision XM Module (XM for eXtra Memory)

ColecoVision AEX Module (Arcade EXperience)

Hmmmm - seems I like the idea of 'X' being in the name :D

I believe we have started to gravitate around the word "arcade", which is fine. In fact I really like the Arcade Experience one very much.

That would lead to "Modular Arcade Experience System" or just "Arcade Experience System", with the ColecoVision AEX Module, Arcade Experience Games, and Arcade Experience controllers and accessories. In fact that just fit well with my Donkey Kong Arcade game.