IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

Hi Eduardo icon_smile.gif

First a big congratulations on the new product.

It's a good job, thank you for it. icon_mrgreen.gif

However, I do not like the name for your new Module.

On my site I have an article about the old Colecovision Super Game Module.

Opcode Games new module will also be named Colecovision Super Game Module I think it will create some name confusion.

Good luck at the Midwest Gaming Classic show. icon_smile.gif

I understand, but we couldn't find a new name we all liked, and the Coleco guys seemed to like Super Game Module the most. Besides the original SGM was never released...

About ADAM compatibility, the answer is no, and here is why...

First memory, the ADAM already has RAM memory mapped to the same range as the SGM. In other to avoid bus contention I would need to include a way to disable the SGM memory, since I cannot do that with the ADAM. I would do that thru a jumper (and risk having the user messing up with it), or do that by software. By software the SGM RAM would come disabled and every game should be responsible for checking if RAM is already present and enabling the SGM RAM if none is found. Complicated but possible, however...

The SGM also requires some I/O addresses. I checked with the ADAM user group and for my surprise mostly all I/O addresses are already taken by some ADAM device, Coleco made or 3rd party. In this case the only way to avoid contention would be to request the user to remove the conflicting devices.

You see, too much trouble.

I find it funny that Coleco made the ColecoVision so flexible and expandable just to close most “doors” with the ADAM. I suspect they were created by different groups.

I understand, but we couldn't find a new name we all liked, and the Coleco guys seemed to like Super Game Module the most. Besides the original SGM was never released...

First memory, the ADAM already has RAM memory mapped to the same range as the SGM. In other to avoid bus contention I would need to include a way to disable the SGM memory, since I cannot do that with the ADAM. I would do that thru a jumper (and risk having the user messing up with it), or do that by software. By software the SGM RAM would come disabled and every game should be responsible for checking if RAM is already present and enabling the SGM RAM if none is found. Complicated but possible, however...

The SGM also requires some I/O addresses. I checked with the ADAM user group and for my surprise mostly all I/O addresses are already taken by some ADAM device, Coleco made or 3rd party. In this case the only way to avoid contention would be to request the user to remove the conflicting devices.

I find it funny that Coleco made the ColecoVision so flexible and expandable just to close most “doors” with the ADAM. I suspect they were created by different groups.

AWWWWWW!!!!!! :(

Thanks for looking into though. I guess I'll have to get my Colecovision modded for composite and use that in addition to my ADAM. The main reason I use my ADAM is for composite video, although it's not the best (miles better than the Coleco RF though).

Somehow I was secretly hoping that this module could be added into the ADAM as an internal card, now that would be neat! Then again there probably aren't enough ADAM users out there to justify a special version of the module. :(

Tempest

AWWWWWW!!!!!! :(

Thanks for looking into though. I guess I'll have to get my Colecovision modded for composite and use that in addition to my ADAM. The main reason I use my ADAM is for composite video, although it's not the best (miles better than the Coleco RF though).

Somehow I was secretly hoping that this module could be added into the ADAM as an internal card, now that would be neat! Then again there probably aren't enough ADAM users out there to justify a special version of the module. :(

Tempest

Actually that wouldn't be a bad idea at all.... That solves the problem with memory at least. And we don't need a case if it is an internal card. I am not sure about the manufacturing viability though, but I can look on that.

Thanks for the suggestion, really good idea indeed. I am sure some ADAM users out there would be very happy too.

Eduardo

Actually that wouldn't be a bad idea at all.... That solves the problem with memory at least. And we don't need a case if it is an internal card. I am not sure about the manufacturing viability though, but I can look on that.

Thanks for the suggestion, really good idea indeed. I am sure some ADAM users out there would be very happy too.

Eduardo

Glad I could help. It's not like the internal slots were really used by much (a useless modem and a similarly useless 64K memory upgrade)

Let me know what you find out. I think you could probably find at least 25 ADAM users that would want such a card (maybe 50). I would gladly pay more than the standard Colecovision version as well.

Tempest

Great news man! After all these years its finally going to happen! The names great, glad you went with it, can't wait to actually own it! Never did like Coleco pulling the old switcheroo on me going with the Adam instead of the Super Game Module, especially after seeing it (SGM) at an electronics show back in the day. Man I wanted one so bad! I was very into ColecoVision back in the day, even selling my 2600 collection to pay for it (I was only 15 and no paper route for me!)

You rock, dude.

PS You should change the thread title when you get the chance...

The deal with Coleco Holdings has been signed. The module is going to Midwest Gaming Classic as an officially licensed ColecoVision product, the first in 25+ years. Coleco Holdings LLC won't be manufacturing or distributing the product directly but has granted Opcode Games the rights to use the Coleco trademark and sell the module under the ColecoVision brand.

The product has also got a final name, ColecoVision Super Game Module. The name was jointly selected between Coleco and Opcode mainly due to the similarities between the never released Coleco device from the 80s and the new module, and also as a way to pay homage to the Coleco legacy.

During the show Coleco fans are invited to visit the Opcode booth and leave a message on video to the new Coleco. Participants will enter the chance to win a free Opcode game.

O..o..official!? Thats awesome any idea if it will be compatble with PAL systems?:cool:

-Darren-

The deal with Coleco Holdings has been signed. The module is going to Midwest Gaming Classic as an officially licensed ColecoVision product, the first in 25+ years. Coleco Holdings LLC won't be manufacturing or distributing the product directly but has granted Opcode Games the rights to use the Coleco trademark and sell the module under the ColecoVision brand.

The product has also got a final name, ColecoVision Super Game Module. The name was jointly selected between Coleco and Opcode mainly due to the similarities between the never released Coleco device from the 80s and the new module, and also as a way to pay homage to the Coleco legacy.

During the show Coleco fans are invited to visit the Opcode booth and leave a message on video to the new Coleco. Participants will enter the chance to win a free Opcode game.

O..o..official!? Thats awesome any idea if it will be compatble with PAL systems?:cool:

-Darren-

Yes, compatible with PAL systems.

About the flyer, can you believe we just printed something very similar to that. ;)

Coleco was going to distribute free Coleco t-shirts too, but the decision was made too close to the show and unfortunately that isn't going to happen this time (actually we tried to get that done until a couple of hours ago). Anyway, there is always CGE... ;)

Eduardo

Eduardo

Glad I could help. It's not like the internal slots were really used by much (a useless modem and a similarly useless 64K memory upgrade)

Let me know what you find out. I think you could probably find at least 25 ADAM users that would want such a card (maybe 50). I would gladly pay more than the standard Colecovision version as well.

Tempest

Count me in as a "disappointed" Adam user who would have to use one his ColecoVision's lesser RF output to use the module. I'm getting it either way, of course, but if you offered an Adam-specific version, I'm in for that as well, and I know of at least one other person who would be too, giving us at least three so far...

Great news! I'd consider buying an Adam version, too. :) Now I'm wishing I'd planned the trip to Milwaukee! ;)

As for the Adam compatibility, I know it was mentioned before, but just refeshing my own memory here most likely-- was there no way to make the "DK Arcade" version compatible with the Adam and it's already expanded RAM? Maybe a subroutine at boot? Appears there is plenty of room on the cartridges to maybe even have a self selecting second version on board to avoid extra hardware? Just more ideas... :)

O..o..official!? Thats awesome any idea if it will be compatble with PAL systems?icon_shades.gif

-Darren-

Yes, compatible with PAL systems.

About the flyer, can you believe we just printed something very similar to that. icon_wink.gif

Coleco was going to distribute free Coleco t-shirts too, but the decision was made too close to the show and unfortunately that isn't going to happen this time (actually we tried to get that done until a couple of hours ago). Anyway, there is always CGE... icon_wink.gif

Eduardo

Since I'm not going to be able to go to MGC but am likely going to be going to CGE I think it's a good decision to delay the t-shirts until CGE.icon_wink.gif

It's great to see so many CV fans getting excited about the work you've done. This feels like Christmas 1984 all over again.icon_lol.gif

I must say that I really had fun. The show was great, very well put together. And the best part was to finally be able to meet some people that I have known for years only thru this forum: Yurkie, Jeff31, slapdash, tempest, RickO2, wgungfu, more people I am sure I am forgetting, my memory isn't what it used to be so I apologize for any omission...

Yurkie was very kind to even offer me a free TV set (one of my sets was kind of bad), and he took care of the booth for a while too. I also had fun with Jeff31, we spend a lot of time discussing all things ColecoVision during the 2 days, really great guy.

Here is a picture of Yurkie (right) and Jeff31(left, in the background). The guy with the camera (I don't remember his name) was an arcade wiz and he shown me a lot of tricks I didn't know. He was very impressed that all tricks worked with both Pac-Man Collection and Donkey Kong Arcade and I was surprised [they did] because I had never tried many of them or even was aware about them... :)

The other couple of picture shows the booth...

post-1432-126987128715_thumb.jpg

post-1432-126987129758_thumb.jpg

post-1432-126987130759_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Your stand-up poster display is rather funny: You've got some games pictured which are only tentative Opcode projects at this point in time, like Rally-X, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong Jr, Wizard of Wor... It's funny because it seems like you're following into Coleco's footsteps of presenting games that are not yet "guaranteed" to be released, if you know what I mean. ;)

Very nice booth by the way. Wish I could have been there. :)

All those retrogaming conventions are so far away, I'm happy I'll be able to attend Adamcon this summer, at the very least.

Your stand-up poster display is rather funny: You've got some games pictured which are only tentative Opcode projects at this point in time, like Rally-X, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong Jr, Wizard of Wor... It's funny because it seems like you're following into Coleco's footsteps of presenting games that are not yet "guaranteed" to be released, if you know what I mean. ;)

Very nice booth by the way. Wish I could have been there. :)

All those retrogaming conventions are so far away, I'm happy I'll be able to attend Adamcon this summer, at the very least.

Well, exactly half of the games in the flyer are already in some stage of developement. The other half are very, very strong candidates, and you can consider them indicative of what the SGM can do. BTW, Rally-X is actually in very early stage of developement, though still far from playable. But I have the whole atract mode sequence running. (and I recently got the boxed MSX versions of Rally-X, Dig-Dug and Galaga, so that I have the artwork for future reference, and you know, when we spend that kind of money we are probably being serious...) ;)

And finally showing tentative stuff as if they were close to release is a tradition started by Coleco and carried over by almost all the ColecoVision homebrews, including yourself and J-F... ;)

BTW, here is something you arean't going to see at Adamcon... pretty girls playing a ColecoVision (and actually having fun). :)

post-1432-126987441763_thumb.jpg

BTW, here are some of the people I met and I forgot to mention in my previous post: Crazy Climber, Golden Ax (totally understand the nickname now), Ianoid, Sean Kelly (one of the Digital Press guys). All very friendly and nice people...

He'll release the Super Game Module at least! ... something that even you and me were not able to do ..... even coleco did not release it

Tentative titles give hope to the fans and its a good thing

I'm sure Eduardo will release much of them, even if it takes some years...

hey! remember Pac-man Collection, Konami's Ping-Pong ? ;)

Nice booth BTW ! :D

Edited by retroillucid