IGNORED

The hijacked Odyssey Market

Rev. Rob

Man, all this over the Odyssey? It's not even that fun to play. Buy a generic (or Atari) Pong unit....

Why would you want a pong when you could have the originator of all home videogame consoles. It doesnt get much better than the Odyssey

Man, all this over the Odyssey? It's not even that fun to play. Buy a generic (or Atari) Pong unit....

Why would you want a pong when you could have the originator of all home videogame consoles. It doesnt get much better than the Odyssey

I find that yellow Odyssey 300 pretty sexy...I was bummed when I didn't win that auction when some dude unloaded a whole bunch of 'em about six months ago. I settled for an Odyssey 400 in box. I think we played it once and will play it a second time at Retrocade IV.

• 10 months later...

Yup, guys like this ruin the hobby, make it to expensive for some of us. Honestly, the horrible systems like the Magnavox should be near worthless, $50 tops. You will look at it for 5 minutes and shut it off. It is not rare, and I see many on ebay all the time the games are NOT fun and are just blips on a screen, and if you are missing one piece you are screwed. Yes, yes, I know it was the first cartridge system, but, so what? Commonality and lackluster fun define the Odyssey. This idea of raising the prices ridiculously prices many out of buying certain consoles. This era for collecting has been horrible, 10-15 years ago most of this stuff was worthless and looked upon as junk, whether that is a Magnavox or whatever. But, the second ebay came in and 'EDUCATED' the masses everything was ruined. The guy is a jerk and he probably beat me on that incomplete odyssey system I tried to get my hands on the other day for under $100. He probably uses snipe or other such bidding program.

Yup, guys like this ruin the hobby,

No they don't. He's taking a risk that someone out there will pay way to much for these systems. I personally hope he buys all these systems and then chokes on 'em when he can't sell 'em.

make it to expensive for some of us.

Only if you pay the inflated prices they ask, otherwise it won't.

Honestly, the horrible systems like the Magnavox should be near worthless, $50 tops.

You've identified your price point. No sense worrying about it if the current market is well above that. Just sit back and wait, the prices will come down eventually.

You will look at it for 5 minutes and shut it off. It is not rare, and I see many on ebay all the time the games are NOT fun and are just blips on a screen, and if you are missing one piece you are screwed. Yes, yes, I know it was the first cartridge system, but, so what? Commonality and lackluster fun define the Odyssey.

Playing the system is not why the vast majority of people buy one. Some people have a goal to collect every system ever made. Others like it for it's interesting discussion possibilities. Some people just like owning an odd piece of hardware. Besides, it's not your concern what someone else does with it now is it?

This idea of raising the prices ridiculously prices many out of buying certain consoles.

Too bad. No one has the right to buy anything. If the market makes it affordable for them than so be it. I'd sure like to have a boxed Air Raid but I can't afford the $30k that one went for a few months ago. That's an insane price IMHO but that's the going rate. Oh well, no use crying over it.

This era for collecting has been horrible, 10-15 years ago most of this stuff was worthless and looked upon as junk, whether that is a Magnavox or whatever. But, the second ebay came in and 'EDUCATED' the masses everything was ruined.

Interesting. So people like having the easy access to even more product via eBay, craigslist and GameGavel but then they complain about the inevitable rise in prices. People also want new blood in the hobby that they can deal with but then complain when that new blood gets involved. Collecting is more expensive now than it was 10 years ago but that happens with many collecting type hobbies.

The guy is a jerk and he probably beat me on that incomplete odyssey system I tried to get my hands on the other day for under $100. He probably uses snipe or other such bidding program.

Wait a minute. Didn't you just say earlier what a worthless system it was and that it shouldn't be any higher than $50 yet now you are willing to almost double that for that same system? So is it junk or something you want? Are you just mad that you don't have the cash to throw around to buy these things up yourself? Again, you don't have the right to own one so just chill out and wait for the inevitable drop of prices. If someone wants to ask $7000 for one, hey good luck buddy. I highly doubt they'll get anywhere near that but no harm in asking.

Think of it this way, if someone offered you $7000 for some common system you had would you take it or say "oh no I couldn't do that it would price others out of the market" If you were smart you'd take the $7000.

• Like 4

Parse every one of my words! Well, here is the bottom line, under 100 dollars is a common statement, I meant $50, the guy is a jerk, should not sell them for that much, and yes, people like him and others keep a lot of people out of the hobby, a hobby is a hobby, you are not supposed to spend every dollar of a paycheck on stuff. And no 'new blood' is not getting involved, with prices like these, and as we know this guy is an old geezer

• Like 1

No they don't. He's taking a risk that someone out there will pay way to much for these systems. I personally hope he buys all these systems and then chokes on 'em when he can't sell 'em.

Ya, they really do. If someone can break into a niche market like Odyssey, or Channel F, or something small enough that one asshole with enough money can prevent new gamers from coming to that console... then yeah, that pretty much ruins it for a lot of people. It's not like you find an Odyssey in a flea market, or even traded on boards like these that often. Sadly, as is being discussed in another thread, eBay is pretty much the only way to get a lot of titles and consoles.

I'd sure like to have a boxed Air Raid but I can't afford the $30k that one went for a few months ago. That's an insane price IMHO but that's the going rate. Oh well, no use crying over it.

The difference is the market actually put that value on it. The actual market value of a typical Odyssey is more like $125.

• Like 1

Parse every one of my words!

OK

Well, here is the bottom line, under 100 dollars is a common statement, I meant $50,

Then say $50, under $100 could mean $99. Just throwing out the under "common statement" isn't much of a help. I'm eating cookies right now, they cost under $1 million dollars.

the guy is a jerk, should not sell them for that much,

It's his stuff, he can sell it for whatever he hopes to get. I highly doubt he'll get it but he's free to list it however he likes.

and yes, people like him and others keep a lot of people out of the hobby, a hobby is a hobby, you are not supposed to spend every dollar of a paycheck on stuff.

No they don't. Many collectors don't care about the Odyssey and therefore don't care what someone is selling them for. It's also not your concern how much someone is spending on their hobby. If you choose to spend a small fraction of your paycheck on collecting video games then be prepared to be disappointed from time to time. If someone else wants to spend tens of thousands of dollars then so be it.

And no 'new blood' is not getting involved, with prices like these, and as we know this guy is an old geezer

Oh so I suppose those 16 year old kids I met the other day to trade some Atari 2600 games with aren't new blood. Silly me. You need to separate the current market for Odyssey from the rest of the hobby because they're not all connected. Like I said, many people don't care about the Odyssey and would only take one if someone gave it to them....of course then they'd list it on eBay for $500 and there's be a thread on here crying about someone price gouging for an Odyssey.

• Like 1

It's his stuff, he can sell it for whatever he hopes to get. I highly doubt he'll get it but he's free to list it however he likes.

No they don't. Many collectors don't care about the Odyssey and therefore don't care what someone is selling them for. It's also not your concern how much someone is spending on their hobby. If you choose to spend a small fraction of your paycheck on collecting video games then be prepared to be disappointed from time to time. If someone else wants to spend tens of thousands of dollars then so be it.

No one is question the douchebag's right to sell something for whatever he wants. It's a question of morality. Is greed moral? No. Will it pay off? You've already answered this one.

You're insane if you think it doesn't keep people from the hobby. At least a dozen people contacted me when I made Odball for help to find an Odyssey, and none of them were able to because eBay is the only accessible way to purchase one, and one guy snatches systems up for a little more than market value, then sits on them and tries to sell them for 4 to 10 times their market value. Ya... no one's being kept from hobby alright. :roll:

Ya, they really do. If someone can break into a niche market like Odyssey, or Channel F, or something small enough that one asshole with enough money can prevent new gamers from coming to that console... then yeah, that pretty much ruins it for a lot of people. It's not like you find an Odyssey in a flea market, or even traded on boards like these that often. Sadly, as is being discussed in another thread, eBay is pretty much the only way to get a lot of titles and consoles.

That a niche market, I'm talking about the entire hobby of video game collecting. I don't care about the Odyssey or the Channel F, so if they're overpriced....oh well too bad so sad. It will not ruin the entire hobby for someone unless the Odyssey is their one and only collecting goal. The impact a guy selling overpriced Odyssey's will have on the video game collecting hobby is microscopic.

The difference is the market actually put that value on it. The actual market value of a typical Odyssey is more like $125.

The market set the value on the boxed Air Raid too. It was on ebay and everyone had the ability to put a bid in on it. It went for $30k, which is obviously what the market was willing to pay. Of course there's a very small chance of another boxed Air Raid out there to compare it with so I guess $30k is the value.

No one is question the douchebag's right to sell something for whatever he wants. It's a question of morality. Is greed moral? No. Will it pay off? You've already answered this one.

Moral? You've got to be kidding. We're talking about an old video game system here, not abortion. Morality doesn't come in to this at all.

You're insane if you think it doesn't keep people from the hobby. At least a dozen people contacted me when I made Odball for help to find an Odyssey, and none of them were able to because eBay is the only accessible way to purchase one, and one guy snatches systems up for a little more than market value, then sits on them and tries to sell them for 4 to 10 times their market value. Ya... no one's being kept from hobby alright. :roll:

A dozen people.....out of the thousands who collect video games and don't really care about the Odyssey. Like I said...microscopic.

It may not be morality, but possibly ethics? In our ethics training at work, we learned that FAR less insidious things than cornering the Odyssey market are unethical :!:

I don't care about any of that, but I do wish I'd picked up an Odyssey when I had a chance to pick up a really nice boxed one with tons of extras for about $150 a few years ago (on ebay). Now, I don't even bother trying.

That a niche market, I'm talking about the entire hobby of video game collecting.

We're all talking about Odyssey and people who try to control niche markets.

I don't care about the Odyssey or the Channel F, so if they're overpriced....oh well too bad so sad. It will not ruin the entire hobby for someone unless the Odyssey is their one and only collecting goal. The impact a guy selling overpriced Odyssey's will have on the video game collecting hobby is microscopic.

The impact it has on collectors for whom owning an Odyssey is a major collecting goal is huge. It's interesting that you don't care if the hobby is negatively impacted for many; but you do care when consumers who are members of the market, like Coleco Gemini, express their disdain for the practice.

The market set the value on the boxed Air Raid too. It was on ebay and everyone had the ability to put a bid in on it. It went for $30k, which is obviously what the market was willing to pay. Of course there's a very small chance of another boxed Air Raid out there to compare it with so I guess $30k is the value.

That was my point. $30k is the market value of Air Raid. But the market value of an Odyssey is 4 to 10 times less than what Douchey McCoy sells them for.

• Like 1

It may not be morality, but possibly ethics? In our ethics training at work, we learned that FAR less insidious things than cornering the Odyssey market are unethical :!:

I don't care about any of that, but I do wish I'd picked up an Odyssey when I had a chance to pick up a really nice boxed one with tons of extras for about $150 a few years ago (on ebay). Now, I don't even bother trying.

You could have totally flipped that for $300 today. You moral ethical fool.

You could have totally flipped that for $300 today. You moral ethical fool.

Yeah, but I wouldn't. It's a very early system that I remember my family playing waaaay back in the dark ages. Fool? Yes. Who knew?

• Like 1

That a niche market, I'm talking about the entire hobby of video game collecting.

We're all talking about Odyssey and people who try to control niche markets.

Yup, guys like this ruin the hobby,

Sorry. What I got out of that whole post was the entire hobby was affected by the price of the Odyssey.

Resume the 2 minutes of hate.