IGNORED

XBox vs. Playstation 3 slim

ericwierson

I like 1st person shooters and rpgs, any title suggestions?

it sounds like you could be looking pretty heavily at fallout 3 'game of the year' edition then. It's a little bit of both of those genres. More RPG-ish than shootery though, and definately a 'western' or 'computer style' rpg rather than a j-rpg.

the 'game of the year edition' part includes all the dlc packs. which is nice as it extends the main story and removes the level cap.

it's probably my favorite game on the system, though it's by no means an exclusive. The atmosphere and sense of scale created in fallout 3 really is something.

Edited by Reaperman

I didn't want to like the Playstation 3, but I must admit the system has grown on me. Compatibility with all kinds of USB and Bluetooth devices is a big point in its favor... Microsoft forces you to choose products designed especially for the system, and not only are those peripherals expensive, they're usually not the best options available. The Xbox 360 controller is great for everything but 2D gaming, and the only way to fix that is a tedious hack involving sandpaper, an X-acto knife, a plastic circle cut from the top of a potato chip container, a Torx screwdriver, and most likely a bloody fingertip. If you want to play 2D games on the Playstation 3, you just plug a USB Saturn controller into the system and that's the end of your problems. You want a Bluetooth headset for the Xbox 360, you have to pay through the nose for a fugly, oversized gadget. You want to get your Bluetooth on with the Playstation 3, you just buy an off-brand model from Meijer and connect it to the system.

I've never had my Xbox 360 break, but the proprietary design is a real sore spot for me, and I'm glad Sony didn't follow them down that path.

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I want some new opinions (hopefully). I am going to buy either the XBox 360 or the Playstation 3 slim. I am not concerned about backwards compatabilty. Please tell me which one is the better of the 2. I have a 52in. LCD tv and broadband. Thanks.

PS3 by a mile. Hell the 360 could be dead right out of the box the fail rate is so high. And the PS3 is just overall the more supirior machine.

Sorry fanboy, that hasn't been true for quite a while. The 360's now pretty much have all their hardware issues behind them and nobody really knows how well the new PS3 slim design is going to work out.

Umm, the PS3 is a more capable machine period. The Xbox 360 has been a nightmare from day one. 54 percent failure rates? Thats scary. I'm also wondering how do you play games over 9gb on the 360? Oh ya, you can't. BR discs? Nope, nadda on that one too. The 360 is a POS and will go down as one of Microsoft's biggest mistakes, right up there in the running with Windows Vista.

Also you can hardly call me PS3 fanboy when I'm a beta tester for Mircosoft apps and games (games including some for the 360) but thanks for the compliments though.

Not sure where the Xbox 360 hate comes from. Yes, the machine isn't as hardy as it should have been, but it's extremely powerful and fairly cheap, as long as you don't go overboard with the aforementioned peripherals. All that bragging about Blu-Ray does sound a bit fannish, though... you do realize that a lot of data has to be written multiple times on the disc to make up for the sluggish drive speed, right? That diminishes its capacity advantage in my opinion. Also, developers can get around the limitations of the DVD format by spreading their games across multiple discs. Unless you weigh five hundred pounds and can't be bothered to get out of your sagging recliner to swap discs every twenty hours of play, that shouldn't be a major issue. "Oh no, it's asking for the second disc of Lost Odyssey, but my fat ass is trapped between the armrests!"

Not sure where the Xbox 360 hate comes from. Yes, the machine isn't as hardy as it should have been, but it's extremely powerful and fairly cheap, as long as you don't go overboard with the aforementioned peripherals.

last year at this time, there were just a lot more reasons to go for a 360 then there are now. They were significantly cheaper, had (and still has) a larger game library, and netfix wasn't coming to ps3. But the 360's comparative value is a bit lower than it used to be.

Though as I've previously stated, the durability issue alone (or even 'perceived' durability issue) was enough to keep me away. The way I see it, I have money for nice things, and I'm out hundreds of dollars if I buy a 360 and it dies. It's not like I buy the cheapest car that will get me from a-to-b--there are choices out there with a reputation for reliability and they may cost more now but will do better for me in the end. Besides, if the durability issue is really taken care of--I'll just get a helluva deal on a 360 when I buy one 5 years from now. I get all systems eventually.

what gets me this generation is that for games on both ps3 or 360 there is *never* the talk of "what had to get left out of the 360 version," because there wasn't the space/power to do it. but rather there's "what did they do to intentionally hobble the ps3 version." I don't understand why 3rd parties (especially EA) are operating this way, but I certainly hope it stops.

Edited by Reaperman

I'm also wondering how do you play games over 9gb on the 360? Oh ya, you can't. BR discs? Nope, nadda on that one too.

Now name all the games that utilize that space to the point anyone would give a crap.

More content? No.

Longer campaigns? Uh-Uh

Better graphics? Not hardly.

How about a crappy "Making of the game" video? Nope.

Truly the worst reason to choose a PS3 over a 360 yet.

I'm still pissed Sony forced gamers to buy their expensive disk movie player. Don't be fooled into thinking they did that for any reason other than they were hoping Blu-Ray would be the next standard in movie playback. The fact that Netflix streaming is coming to the PS3 should clue people in to the fact the plan failed.

Don't forget that there still millions of people that prefer to have a disc instead

This is besides the point.

My statement had nothing to do with disk media going away entirely or digital downloads taking over.

Having a disk that holds a bazzilion times more data means nothing to anybody if it's not utilized in any way. That was the main point.

A secondary point might be, that even though there are people that prefer to have a disc (I won't guess what that number is) they are clearly in the minority these days, but for various reasons I don't think physical media will disappear any time soon.

Edited by moycon

It is my console that get the least playtime. After the shine of the new controls had gone off, it has little appeal to me. Maybe it will get better, bought papermario today, but in most titles that come out on the wii the programmers just don't know how to implement the new controls.

But i don't want to sell it.

360 VS PS3 Slim?

360 - Build quality? First of all it was more of a design flaw than build quality.

Buy a new machine and it's a non-issue.

PS3 - BluRay. Yep... but BluRay players are already going for $100 for the holiday season so it's $ and personal preference issue.

Don't need Blu... XBOX is cheaper. Want it, PS3 is cheaper. Separate units let you watch a movie in one room and play a game in another. Don't need that? One unit vs two.

Games. Does the game you want exist on a specific machine? Are you a fan of a specific game series?

Each has cool exclusives and there are many games in common. Personal preference.

Upgrades, upgrading the 360 HD is easier but more expensive... or harder and the same price.

You can get a docking station for the 360 HD to muck with games and back up your stuff.

XBOX Live, a lot of content requires a GOLD account but there is more content. Expect to be nickled and dimed to death.

But there is also some free content you won't find elsewhere.

1 vs 100 is kinda cool but it's AWOL at the moment. If they get a lot of game content like it then a GOLD account is worth it. (I want You Don't Know Jack!)

Twitter, Facebook, etc... interfaces in beta for the 360. PS3... you might see a "me too" but I think SONY was caught off guard so it would be late this year at best if they add it.

Netflix, I love it but don't count on a given deadline for the PS3 version. They might meet the deadline or miss it. Sooner or later it will be on the PS3 if you can wait. I'm sure SONY and Netflix want it out ASAP. Netflix profits skyrocketed since the 360 release. Netflix might even make it to the Wii if the Wii is fast enough, some CPU horsepower is required. If they have trouble they will probably just do reduced quality and you won't be able to tell because the Wii ain't HD anyway... but I digress.

XBOX Live also adds individual movie rentals which download to the hard drive so you can have better quality if you have a decent HDTV. Rentals aren't cost competitive with RedBox but you don't have to go out. Definitely better quality video and sound than Netflix streaming.

From the look of the latest generation of games I really don't see an issue in quality between the systems. This is dependent on the studio and game engine. There have been titles with superior frame rates on both machines. You will see quality and complexity increase throughout the life of both machines.

A lot of discussion has been made about processing power so if you want to hear about that, search away. I've already commented on that.

360 - proprietary memory cards, WiFi adapter extra. PS3 Slim, no IR receiver so you can't use normal universal remotes.

Software updates... I'm trying to figure out how SONY wins that one. Microsoft added the avatar stuff and a total revamp to the interface, they were (are) first with Netflix, going to be first with social networking software, I've seen many updates to games...

Lets face it, for feature creep... Microsoft is king. For bug fixes... I think you'll find both timely.

Controllers. 360 fits my hand better, PS3 will feel more at home if you are used to PS2 controllers. But then we all know regular controllers will soon disappear. After all, Microsoft promises that new super duper control system that may never see the light of day and if it does will probably feel like a gimmick.

The 360 has changeable faceplates. We all know that's why you buy a game system.

There is an adapter to attach the wireless 360 controllers to a PC.

You can hack the 360 to run stuff you are not supposed to. You can hack the PS3 to run stuff you are not supposed to. Deja Vu... unless this has changed. Expect to be banned from online content if you do that.

Either are better than what you currently have and you will love them but they will be made obsolete by the next gen systems.

I think the 360 will always have an advantage in number of titles since it's easier to develop for and the strong sales of titles will attract more developers.

PS3 - browser. But PC browsers will always be better.

What do your friends or relatives have? You might want to play head to head. Most of mine are 360 owners so it's a no brainer for me.

Except for a couple Wii owners but we won't talk about them. :D

360 VS PS3 Slim?

360 - Build quality? First of all it was more of a design flaw than build quality.

Buy a new machine and it's a non-issue.

PS3 - BluRay. Yep... but BluRay players are already going for $100 for the holiday season so it's $ and personal preference issue.

Don't need Blu... XBOX is cheaper. Want it, PS3 is cheaper. Separate units let you watch a movie in one room and play a game in another. Don't need that? One unit vs two.

Games. Does the game you want exist on a specific machine? Are you a fan of a specific game series?

Each has cool exclusives and there are many games in common. Personal preference.

Upgrades, upgrading the 360 HD is easier but more expensive... or harder and the same price.

You can get a docking station for the 360 HD to muck with games and back up your stuff.

XBOX Live, a lot of content requires a GOLD account but there is more content. Expect to be nickled and dimed to death.

But there is also some free content you won't find elsewhere.

1 vs 100 is kinda cool but it's AWOL at the moment. If they get a lot of game content like it then a GOLD account is worth it. (I want You Don't Know Jack!)

Twitter, Facebook, etc... interfaces in beta for the 360. PS3... you might see a "me too" but I think SONY was caught off guard so it would be late this year at best if they add it.

Netflix, I love it but don't count on a given deadline for the PS3 version. They might meet the deadline or miss it. Sooner or later it will be on the PS3 if you can wait. I'm sure SONY and Netflix want it out ASAP. Netflix profits skyrocketed since the 360 release. Netflix might even make it to the Wii if the Wii is fast enough, some CPU horsepower is required. If they have trouble they will probably just do reduced quality and you won't be able to tell because the Wii ain't HD anyway... but I digress.

XBOX Live also adds individual movie rentals which download to the hard drive so you can have better quality if you have a decent HDTV. Rentals aren't cost competitive with RedBox but you don't have to go out. Definitely better quality video and sound than Netflix streaming.

From the look of the latest generation of games I really don't see an issue in quality between the systems. This is dependent on the studio and game engine. There have been titles with superior frame rates on both machines. You will see quality and complexity increase throughout the life of both machines.

A lot of discussion has been made about processing power so if you want to hear about that, search away. I've already commented on that.

360 - proprietary memory cards, WiFi adapter extra. PS3 Slim, no IR receiver so you can't use normal universal remotes.

Software updates... I'm trying to figure out how SONY wins that one. Microsoft added the avatar stuff and a total revamp to the interface, they were (are) first with Netflix, going to be first with social networking software, I've seen many updates to games...

Lets face it, for feature creep... Microsoft is king. For bug fixes... I think you'll find both timely.

Controllers. 360 fits my hand better, PS3 will feel more at home if you are used to PS2 controllers. But then we all know regular controllers will soon disappear. After all, Microsoft promises that new super duper control system that may never see the light of day and if it does will probably feel like a gimmick.

The 360 has changeable faceplates. We all know that's why you buy a game system.

There is an adapter to attach the wireless 360 controllers to a PC.

You can hack the 360 to run stuff you are not supposed to. You can hack the PS3 to run stuff you are not supposed to. Deja Vu... unless this has changed. Expect to be banned from online content if you do that.

Either are better than what you currently have and you will love them but they will be made obsolete by the next gen systems.

I think the 360 will always have an advantage in number of titles since it's easier to develop for and the strong sales of titles will attract more developers.

PS3 - browser. But PC browsers will always be better.

What do your friends or relatives have? You might want to play head to head. Most of mine are 360 owners so it's a no brainer for me.

Except for a couple Wii owners but we won't talk about them. :D

Thank you for your post. Very un-biased, but I ended up getting the slim because of the posts concerning the reliability. As I am on strict budget (retirement U.S. Army) I wanted to go with the more reliable system, the PS3. I have no regrets, it is fun and keeps me occupied. I guess the only thing I can complain about is the lack of one title 'Dead Rising' I saw it on Youtube and would like to play it.

I guess the only thing I can complain about is the lack of one title 'Dead Rising' I saw it on Youtube and would like to play it.

I wouldn't sweat this...My understanding is Dead Rising 2 will be out first of next year and be on the PS3 as well as the 360 and PC.

Thank you for your post. Very un-biased, but I ended up getting the slim because of the posts concerning the reliability. As I am on strict budget (retirement U.S. Army) I wanted to go with the more reliable system, the PS3. I have no regrets, it is fun and keeps me occupied. I guess the only thing I can complain about is the lack of one title 'Dead Rising' I saw it on Youtube and would like to play it.

You are welcome, unbiased posts on this topic are hard to come by.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the PS3.

As for 'Dead Rising'... if you had a 360 you might see something on the PS3 that you want.

That's the way it goes and why so many people have multiple systems.

As for reliability... and I only say this because others may read it.

The latest chipset supposedly fixed that but PS3 fanboys won't ever drop that.

And I can understand someone not wanting to take chances.

I don't think you'll enjoy it much just yet. I guess its a quick port of a Netflix application used in such things as set top boxes that doesn't have all the features and capabilities of the 360 application.

But there's supposed to be a new Netflix program coming next year for the PS3 that is written with the console's capabilities in mind rather than this stopgap to get the capability out there as soon as possible after the announcement.

Either way, the disc is free and should be fun to check it out anyways.

That's cool about Netflix. I don't know about it not having all the features the 360 version has, but the first version for the 360 was much more limited than the current version so it's definitely possible.

<edit>

You have to leave the disk in to use Netflix until the 2010 update.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/26/netflix-ps3-disc-must-remain-in-system-until-2010-update/

<edit>

That page says you can browse the different categories just like the 360.

I'm guessing the disk based system is to get around the XBOX exclusive.

The 2010 update integrates it with the system software.

Edited by JamesD

I got my Netflix PS3 disc last Friday. Haven't tried it out yet.

hell, I'm using mine now and can't stop. Signed up for netflix just for this, and I'm not sure how I lived without it.

since the disc is only required until the 2010 update, and is only available to netflix members by request, there's a decent chance of it becomming rare. Not sure about 'valuable' but 'rare' is pretty likely.

Microsoft has been trying to get me to update my dashboard for a week now. I am holding out as long as I can because it is going to make my Datel Max Memory Card useless.

The PS3 Netflix is great. You can view synopsis' of the movies quicker than on the XBox. A few times while watching a movie on the XBox it would "adjust" itself by re-buffering, I haven't had that problem so far with the PS3. The one thing I think that XBox did better was the scrolling. On the PS3 you can roll right and left one movie at a time or jump about 5. The XBox has a continuous scroll that I like.