IGNORED

Bubsy - JAGUAR HSC - November '09 - Atardi__2,195,810

kevincal

Well Done BusterM on mastering the 1st level. And you've demonstrated how easy it is to get a high score in Bubsy with the continue trick on third level.

JeremiahJT, glad you accept the challenge, and hope you get to the 500K without the continue trick. Looks like we've had a 500K score, so currently working on my best high score, using the best times, collecting the most balls, and burning through lives as I go.

Ist level 102,996 782 balls 9:20 8 Lives (highest recorded ball record 787, new personal time record)

2nd level 230,466 845 balls 9:19 11 lives (Highest recorded ball record 891, new personal time record)

3rd level 323,463 728 balls 8:31 9 lives (New personal ball record, new personal time record)

post-4709-125769592459_thumb.jpg

Some of those balls you collect are the luck of the draw, so sometimes when you grab some of the items they will be varying values.

At any rate, will continue to march forward seeing what is possible only grabbing items, and not using the continue tricks that BusterM showed us.

:D , new high-score : 2 195 810 .

And our high score contender here to win the $64 gives his score. Will be interesting to see if I can beat that score with my plan above. ;)

And me, having fun beating my own scores.

So keep those scores coming. I'm looking forward to seeing who (aside from Atardi or I) can reach 500K without a continue trick. :D

BusterM, for beating the Mad Hatter, check out these videos for some hints...

at 7:53...

at 6:30

Edited by doctorclu

1st level 102,996 782 balls 9:20 8 Lives (highest recorded ball record 787, new personal time record)

2nd level 230,466 845 balls 9:19 11 lives (Highest recorded ball record 891, new personal time record)

3rd level 323,463 728 balls 8:31 9 lives (New personal ball record, new personal time record)

4th level 376,493 387 balls 3:50 5 lives (accidentally landed on the end marker before I wanted...404 balls possible)

5th level 434,190 532 balls 7:46 5 lives (my last ball record 486, new personal time record.)

6th level 506,644 976 balls 8:01 6 lives (my last ball record 975, new personal time record.)

7th level 555,078 293 balls 7:07 7 lives (another oops on hitting the marker too early about 413 balls possible.)

8th level 631,392 672 balls 4:51 13 lives (my last ball record 469)

9th level 680,953 593 balls 6:41 15 lives

10th level 789,270 972 balls 6:43 9 lives (my last ball record 829)

11th level 867,950 1094 balls 7:11 9 lives (my last ball record 957)

12th level 970,410 1085 balls 6:29 5 lives (my last ball record 1061, new personal time record.)

So 970,410 is the current high score of a ongoing game without use of continues yet. Keep you guys posted, and would love to see your scores out there as well. Fun seeing people play my favorite Jaguar game. :D

Edited by doctorclu

The video clips you posted in post #11 really helped me out. thanks! :) :cool:

That's what I like to hear. So how long did it take to beat the Mad Hatter after that?

When I first started I would try to land on the Mad Hatter about three times and then bounce off. Usually those cup cakes would get me or something. Somewhere along the way I learned to do three sets of two. And of course to land on the side with the most room next to the Hatter to land to position myself in the gap of the cupcakes as they fall.

So how'd it go?

The video clips you posted in post #11 really helped me out. thanks! :) :cool:

That's what I like to hear. So how long did it take to beat the Mad Hatter after that?

When I first started I would try to land on the Mad Hatter about three times and then bounce off. Usually those cup cakes would get me or something. Somewhere along the way I learned to do three sets of two. And of course to land on the side with the most room next to the Hatter to land to position myself in the gap of the cupcakes as they fall.

So how'd it go?

I haven't yet got to the Mad Hatter. I just took a look at a video clip you posted on youtube. Hopefully i'll know what i'm doing if i get that far. :)

I assume your also very good at Bubsy In Claws Encounters Of The Furred Kind and Bubsy 2 for the Genesis/SNES. :)

I haven't yet got to the Mad Hatter. I just took a look at a video clip you posted on youtube. Hopefully i'll know what i'm doing if i get that far. :)

I assume your also very good at Bubsy In Claws Encounters Of The Furred Kind and Bubsy 2 for the Genesis/SNES. :)

Oh have you played those much?

For the record, I call the Jaguar Bubsy game "Bubsy 3" since it was released after the other two. Many have said it is the finest part of the Bubsy series.

Bubsy 2 was ... ok. :) The physics and controls were a bit different. Didn't enjoy that as much, but it was cute enough. I've beaten the easier versions of it.

Bubsy's original game was really a lot of fun. You can see where all the animations for the Jaguar version came from for the Bubsy character. I've played it that up to the Forest levels and then usually die off. Still new to that game.

And in case anyone wonders, Bubsy 3D (the Playstation game and the fourth and last game in the Bubsy series) I've made it only to the first boss. There is a lot of charm to Bubsy 3D, and humor, but the least that can be said, none of the series has really caught on with me like the Jaguar version. ;)

Edited by doctorclu

Oh have you played those much?

For the record, I call the Jaguar Bubsy game "Bubsy 3" since it was released after the other two. Many have said it is the finest part of the Bubsy series.

Bubsy 2 was ... ok. :) The physics and controls were a bit different. Didn't enjoy that as much, but it was cute enough. I've beaten the easier versions of it.

Bubsy's original game was really a lot of fun. You can see where all the animations for the Jaguar version came from for the Bubsy character. I've played it that up to the Forest levels and then usually die off. Still new to that game.

And in case anyone wonders, Bubsy 3D (the Playstation game and the fourth and last game in the Bubsy series) I've made it only to the first boss. There is a lot of charm to Bubsy 3D, and humor, but the least that can be said, none of the series has really caught on with me like the Jaguar version. ;)

Earlier this year i played Bubsy for the Jaguar for the first time. A couple months ago i played Claws Encounters Of The Furred Kind and Bubsy 2 for the Genesis/SNES to see what they look like. I also played Bubsy 2 for the Gameboy. I like the Jaguar game the best, it looks and sounds better, i like how Bubsy will knock on the screen if i don't touch any buttons for a few seconds, but all 4 games are fun to play. I never played Bubsy 3D.

I haven't played Claws Encounters Of The Furred Kind and Bubsy 2 for a while so i played them some more today.

My first high score is 477,605. I tried talking my brother-in-law into joining the HSC since he played quite a bit of Bubsy back in the day. I think he was even able to beat it way back when so we'll see if he decides to join up.

That would be interesting to see how his Bubsy (1) skills translate to Bubsy (3).

Earlier this year i played Bubsy for the Jaguar for the first time. A couple months ago i played Claws Encounters Of The Furred Kind and Bubsy 2 for the Genesis/SNES to see what they look like. I also played Bubsy 2 for the Gameboy. I like the Jaguar game the best, it looks and sounds better, i like how Bubsy will knock on the screen if i don't touch any buttons for a few seconds, but all 4 games are fun to play. I never played Bubsy 3D.

I haven't played Claws Encounters Of The Furred Kind and Bubsy 2 for a while so i played them some more today.

Oh wow, you are getting around. Trying out various emulators?

Jag Bubsy is the best I think. :) Bubsy (2) on the gameboy I like how the glide works. Pretty funny. And you know, if Bubsy was ported to the Atari 800, it would probably look like that.

THAT is what is interesting about the gameboy version to me. All the other versions are 16 bit, but the gameboy version is an 8 bit version.

Hey if you like Bubsy 2, I have some of the concept art in the Bubsy blog here on Atariage.

My first high score is 477,605. I tried talking my brother-in-law into joining the HSC since he played quite a bit of Bubsy back in the day. I think he was even able to beat it way back when so we'll see if he decides to join up.

That would be interesting to see how his Bubsy (1) skills translate to Bubsy (3).

I meant he played and beat Jaguar Bubsy, sorry I wasn't clear.

Edited by jeremiahjt
  • Like 1

I really gave it the best shot I could but this game is incredibly difficult. The good thing is that I have had this game for years and years and between last night and tonight I played it more than in all that time.

The best I got was 33,443. I did not get past the first level.

post-2962-12579056494_thumb.jpg

I got a couple questions for anybody to answer (I know it will most likely be doctorclu).

After I touched the chapter end point one time about 10 balls came flying out at me. Now this has only happened once, but I was wondering if anybody knew why it happened? Once I realized what was happening I was able to catch some of them.

I found the continues in chapters 3 and 6, so I assumed they would always be on the end boss chapter, but I could not find one in chapter 9. Does anybody know where it's at or even if there is one?

I got a couple questions for anybody to answer (I know it will most likely be doctorclu).

After I touched the chapter end point one time about 10 balls came flying out at me. Now this has only happened once, but I was wondering if anybody knew why it happened? Once I realized what was happening I was able to catch some of them.

I found the continues in chapters 3 and 6, so I assumed they would always be on the end boss chapter, but I could not find one in chapter 9. Does anybody know where it's at or even if there is one?

I really wish I knew exactly why you get the spray of balls. My impression is that you get it for solving the level in under a life? Not entirely sure. I know when I was spending lives for time I did not get the ten ball send off at the end of the level except maybe once or twice when I accidentally hit the end marker.

Interesting note, the color balls in the original Bubsy (which is what this was based on) had different point values. You can tell me how accurate this is...

green = 10 points

yellow =20 points

red = 30 points

blue = 40 points.

And then you have some that change, so depending when you grab it, you get that set of points.

Ball crates in the original Bubsy held 25 (yarn) balls.

Continues that I have found so far, 3, 6, and 7. (7th level is located in twisty passages practically right above the end marker)

Continues that I have found so far, 3, 6, and 7. (7th level is located in twisty passages practically right above the end marker)

I didn't find the one in level 7, but I'm fairly certain that there are none in chapters 9 and 12. I've searched every square inch of those levels and have come up empty.

I did get another end point ball spray and I thought it might be because I had over 1,000 balls, but I tested that theory out and the next time I had over 1,000 nothing happened.

One other thing I noticed, when you put in the chapter codes all the codes are numeric only even though you can enter letters and symbols. Anybody know why that is?

My new high score is 1,000,000+. I can't give a more exact score because once I lost my last man my game froze up and the screen went black. I made it all the way to chapter 12 from the beginning, but I lost over 40 lives fighting the lobster. I've only beaten Hansel and Gretel one time so it may have been just luck, but the lobster seems like the toughest boss in the game to me. I did beat the lobster one time, but I'm going to chalk that up to luck after losing a whole battalion of Bubsies to him tonight.

One thing my wife noticed that I never knew was that you get a free man once you get 500 balls. I'm sure this is common knowledge but I never knew about it.

How many hits does the lobster take? My best tonight was 8. I almost always got 7 before I died except for a few times.

Bravo SamanthaLT and JeremiahJT (Wife and Husband?)

Great scores!

Ok, looks like I will need to get specific on my score I did last week. (finds picture...)

Here we go,

post-4709-125842354741_thumb.jpg

I plan to have another go at it before this month is up, but really glad to see people really getting into this game. :D

Lobster, something like 10 hits? (reads Jaguar Official Gamer's Guide) 12 hits. There you go.

Edited by doctorclu