IGNORED

What is the status of Handy on Linux?

Wookie

I've never used the Handy emulator before and I want to use it to test out some of my code. What is the status of Handy on Linux? I was greping the internet earlier and found an old SDL/Handy and the latest and greatest Handy seems to be Win32 only. Is there an active Handy on Linux project still around?

--Wookie

Handy hasnt been actively developed on by the original author in sometime. The good news is that it has been open sources and a number or people over time have ported it to a number of devices and updated the code a bit from looking at the source the last win32 update was 2 years ago. Its a really good emulator...well more blunt is as good as its going to get really. The only other lynx emulator i know of is Metalynx or something like that and it pretty much only ran a couple homebrews from what I remember.

If your a linux user Zopher Domain has a ubuntu version from earlier this year available for download dated 5/18/2009 though I've not used any of the Linux versions. Just the win32 and old Beos builds.

http://www.zophar.net/linux/lynx/handy-sdl.html

Found some info on the build from Zophar's Domain here

http://sdlemu.ngemu.com/

its the latest win32 source ported. The source is also available there as well

Edited by busterm

mednafen is in the main repositories and it is based on Handy code

--

Karri

So I've got mednafen working. Unfortunately, it seems like the debugger isn't working when running Lynx roms. I'm hitting Alt+D and nothing is happening as far as I can tell. Is it possible to use mednafen for debugging? If not, I know what my next coding project will be. We need a way to set breakpoints, step through code, read/write memory, etc. Emulators are the best way to do that.

--Wookie

mednafen is in the main repositories and it is based on Handy code

--

Karri

So I've got mednafen working. Unfortunately, it seems like the debugger isn't working when running Lynx roms. I'm hitting Alt+D and nothing is happening as far as I can tell. Is it possible to use mednafen for debugging? If not, I know what my next coding project will be. We need a way to set breakpoints, step through code, read/write memory, etc. Emulators are the best way to do that.

--Wookie

I am seriously thinking about integrating compilers and debuggers for Code::Blocks IDE. Please think about supporting Code::Blocks if you can modify NESHLA to fully support it. It is much faster and better than Eclipse or any other I have seen. It is on Ubuntu universe called "codeblocks". It uses no Makefiles and you can run stuff on Windows and Linux without any changes to your projects.

--

Karri

I am seriously thinking about integrating compilers and debuggers for Code::Blocks IDE. Please think about supporting Code::Blocks if you can modify NESHLA to fully support it. It is much faster and better than Eclipse or any other I have seen. It is on Ubuntu universe called "codeblocks". It uses no Makefiles and you can run stuff on Windows and Linux without any changes to your projects.

--

Karri

Maybe it would be better to create a cross-platform liblynx project that packages up a lynx emulator as a library that can be used by other applications. That way it could be embedded in other IDE's as plugins. I personally use vim for all of my coding, so supporting Code::Blocks is not really interesting to me. I will however take patches against NESHLA for that purpose.

--Wookie

--

Karri

Maybe it would be better to create a cross-platform liblynx project that packages up a lynx emulator as a library that can be used by other applications. That way it could be embedded in other IDE's as plugins. I personally use vim for all of my coding, so supporting Code::Blocks is not really interesting to me. I will however take patches against NESHLA for that purpose.

--Wookie

Focussing on NESHLA sounds like a good idea to me after having a quick look at it.

Focussing on NESHLA sounds like a good idea to me after having a quick look at it.

I'm now the de facto maintainer of NESHLA. The latest version is in my NESHLA bitbucket repo. I took Brian's source, cleaned it up, added GNU autotools to manage the build process and made it portable enough that it compiles and runs on Linux/Mac OS X. I probably broke Windows support though. I was hoping to get one or more people to help maintain Windows support since I only use Linux.

Now that we've worked out portable implementations of the Lynx encryption/decryption process, I'm going to do some work on NESHLA to support the Lynx. I think I'll rename it to 6502HLA unless you guys have a better name for it. I'm hoping to make it a more general 6502 HLA tool with support for other 6502 systems.

--Wookie