IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Hey anyone hear Jerry Terrifying's PC crashed? You'd never know it from his latest podcast episode, where he mentions it, oh, about 10 times.

jer, let's do a swap- my PC for one of those smut DVDs you're planning to raise $$$. We only use ours as a hub for wireless/portable devices anyway.

oh no, I'm just kidding. My car died this weekend so I know how it is. Good luck w/ all that.

Edited by RJ

• 2 weeks later...

Suddenly, a wild podcast appears!

The Pinball Podcast - Not a bad podcast at all. The 2 hosts have equal say in the show, and thus doesn't suffer from Johnny Carson & Ed McMahon syndrome. Ha, you thought I was going to make a Jay Leno/Studdering John reference, weren't you? No, I'm old school. B+

Retrogaming Roundup is still going good. Yeah, I'm a bit backlogged. I should sync my Itunes a bit more often than every 3 weeks. Now I'm listening to instrumental moog music from the early 80s. This would make great background music.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ you are correct, sir! ^^^

Being a lifelong fan of Xevious, I take issue w/ the recent thrashing RadioFreeNintendo gave it as one of the coin rewards on Nintendo's Club site.

James Jones says mockingly "It's 80 YEARS OLD! C'MON!" Uh, guys, it's a CLASSIC. Jonathan Metz was likely comparing it to more recent games of its type & complaining about certain gameplay elements: "the pacing is just atrocious...no rhythm, no pattern..really bad...not very much fun to play."

First of all, YES- IT'S 30 YEARS OLD. Seen any of those games lately? Games have come a long way & those hosts should know better. Xevious isnt one of those unfair, bullet-hell twitchfests where you're lucky to last 30 seconds. It was designed as less of a quarter-muncher, allowing gamers to enjoy more than a few minutes playing. Metz implies it takes down time to load in the next enemy wave (doubtful). Also, one could consider the down time as a welcome (or even necessary) break in the action. It tailors enemy waves to players' skill- if you're good, the game adapts. & on home versions anyway, you can set the difficulty- you can casually watch the scenery beneath scroll by, or you can have the game throw everything it has at you & kick your ass- your choice.

Metz also mentions "levels go on forever...I did not complete the 1st level". (which is why I think he was comparing it to more contemporary shooters he's used to). There are no "levels" per se (although "areas" defined by forests on the ground)- you keep going & going. Many games were that way back then.

I just find it intriguing that someone as knowledgeable on gaming as Metz (at least to me he certainly comes off as such) doesnt know much of Xevious' history- at least do some research before shredding it. He prob. doesnt even know about the hidden flags or sol citadels. The DS NAMCO 50th Anniversary cart has interesting behind-the-scenes info for Xevious & other included games.

Edited by RJ

• 1 month later...

Finally unsubs. to Jerry Terrifying after he introduces yet another of his foul-mouthed minions. Seems he's going to start a horror-movie show or some junk, yet another desperately-grasping arm of the enormous MondoCool Media conglomerate in his never-ending personal quest to be king of the interwebs.

He always mentions all these ideas he has, yet nothing ever seems to come of it, & his podcast is still drab & dull. All plan, no attack.

• 3 weeks later...

So there's a shoutcast of Shane Monroe's older podcasts. Some of them are several years old, where the news on them are out of date. Yes, retro game podcasts have their own retro in them. Some of these editorials now are hilarious. The one I'm listening to now has him hating on "modern" emulation. He is referring to emulating later console games such as Neo Geo(which is what, 20+ years old now?). He says it's killing retro gaming, or some way. This man's got some issues with emulation!

I think this is what got me into Shane R Monroe's podcasts. He is like Joad Cressbeckler from The Onion, but for video games. Classic video games, serious business!

Shane Monroe aka Retro Gaming Radio returned a few months ago, now with extra features with HTML5 as well as MP3 version:

http://www.retrogami...o.com/index.php

ABOUT:

RetroGaming Radio began as a weekly short show in 1998 (then dubbed Retro Radio) to provide a supplement to the news feeds that classic video game and emulator players so desperately needed. The show started off as a straight opinion program but soon grew into a complete, full-service broadcast including reviews of cool old games, modern software/hardware related to classic gaming and the ever-popular interviews with famous (and infamous) figures in classic gaming.

In 2008, the show left the airwaves - waiting for more content to become "retro" and for technology to evolve so that RetroGaming Radio could be reborn. Demand continued to be huge for the show. The show's massive archives became available on a shoutcast server in July of 2011, dubbed RGR Plus; the classic RetroGaming Radio shows plus reairings of other Shane R. Monroe related shows. RetroGaming Radio returned to the public airwaves with new shows in August 2011 which featured a brand new exciting technology called RGR+TV. This HTML5-based player allowed the show to trigger videos and web content without the need for user interaction.

Our goal is to provide the classic gaming community a quality program that is exciting, entertaining and informational. We work to bring you useful product reviews that you can depend on before shoveling out your hard-earned cash.

Thank you for your patronage. Without you - there is no us.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Just listened to, okay tried to listen to Jerry Terrifying's latest podcast. It was way too pokemon-centric. You know what other podcast had too much Pokemon talk? RetroCore, still the bona-fide standard for absolute worst podcast ever.

I hereby decree a new commandment for all video game podcasts.

Thou shall not discuss Pokemon.

There. Simple. Don't talk about Final Fantasy, don't talk about Pokemon. Beaten to death.

• Like 1

There. Simple. Don't talk about Final Fantasy, don't talk about Pokemon. Beaten to death.

LOL! Oh man couldn't agree more, if I NEVER hear a single word about those two subjects again I will be so happy.

Also I can do without "E.T. worse game ever that crashed the market" besides not being very accurate it is usually the "opinion" of

people who where not even into gaming at the time!

• 1 month later...

We just released the second episode of VGC Radio, just under a year since the first one. I can safely say, we don't talk about Pokemon, Final Fantasy or most of the other tripe that fans have become annoyed by. We did however touch on the PSVita, 3DS, Kid Icarus's new title, a new Android hand held, a new site (as if we need MORE to do), Retro Gaming Magazine and other details from our world.

http://vgcradio.podomatic.com

Kids, I have now found the newest absolute worst retro gaming podcast. RetroCore has been dethroned!

http://ccg.podomatic.com/entry/2012-03-30T20_42_02-07_00

It's called Classic Console Gamernews. This is quite possibly the worst I have ever heard, ever. And I've heard the Nintendo Retrocast where they talked about everything except Nintendo. This guy was also at MGC. Man, had I known he would have been there, I woulda given him some advice! You have to listen to get how bad this is.

• Like 1

I'll have to check it out for sh-ts & giggles.

As I was on PodoMatic, I did a search for video game-related podcasts & found some more retro-themed ones. Jury's still out as I haven't listened to them all yet, but they can't be as bad as the above-mentioned one.

I listen to quite a few podcasts and it surprises me just how few good quality classic gaming/computing 'casts there are out there (that I've found!)

I pretty much only list to Retro Gaming Roundup, The Retro League, Retro Computing Roundtable, Retronauts and Famicom Dojo.

Though it's not technically retro I do really like Roguelike Radio too. Yes, I'm that geeky!

I really miss Levi Buchanan's Retrocity and Earl Evans' solo show Retrobits but it's good to see that Shane Monroe is back. :)

It does really surprise me though that there isn't an Atari podcast. I also wish there was a UK/Eurocentric classic gaming podcast...

I really miss Levi Buchanan's Retrocity and Earl Evans' solo show Retrobits but it's good to see that Shane Monroe is back. :)

I LOVED those podcasts, they were both so nice to listen to with soothing voices. I was so annoyed that Earl kept slipping on his podcast routine he just could not stick to any sort of schedule. In case you don't know though Earl moved on to another podcast: http://web.me.com/dg...Roundtable.html

if you miss Retrocity, give The Retroist a try. I swore it was the same guy at first, but I think he let his name slip on one of his shows. Anyway, same calm normal, delivery w/ no shouting or swearing, though awhile ago he began interspersing his talk w/ weird short electronic "music" that still bugs me but doesn't ruin the show.

Short less than half-hr shows, nott always gaming related, but the past couple months have had several retro gaming episodes, he did Mr DO! A few shows back.

if you miss Retrocity, give The Retroist a try. I swore it was the same guy at first, but I think he let his name slip on one of his shows. Anyway, same calm normal, delivery w/ no shouting or swearing, though awhile ago he began interspersing his talk w/ weird short electronic "music" that still bugs me but doesn't ruin the show.

Short less than half-hr shows, nott always gaming related, but the past couple months have had several retro gaming episodes, he did Mr DO! A few shows back.

All annoying tone-music aside, I like his nostalgic podcasts. A lot of episodes do cover video games, so you have the best of both worlds with this guy. He always has a story around the topics he covers. He has a good speaking voice.

IIRC Retrogaming Roundup mentions 2 new 'casts, RetroInspection, & Retro & Arcade.

RetroInspection is video based so I had to set aside time to watch it, but it's basically just game footage they're discussing at that time. The arcade game episode is the best so far, if only because they didn't sh-t on Xevious & discussed a cocktail game Off The Wall which I d never seen before. As usual there's a co-host that bugs me, in this case it's Zack.

Arcade & Retro is from Ireland so I had to listen at normal speed to make it out. Decent horror "hot pot" episode, mentioning a few under the radar games like Siren, Haunting Ground, Obscure, & some others.

And did I dream it, or did a podcast recently do or say they would do a show on the D games?

Edited by RJ

What's the D games?

I will subscribe to video-based podcasts, and just watch them in iTunes on the wekeends. I watch Matt Chat since he delves into the older PC games like Wasteland. He even did a segment on Tunnels of Doom for the TI-99/4A(the Skyrim of its day).

Lesse, Retro Asylum came up with a new episode, haven't listened yet.

I'll have to go back on my other computer to see what latest podcasts I've subscribed to. There's the Apple // one. And um, some other ones. I'm starting to lose track, but that's what iTunes is for.

It's fun to listen to the UK-based podcasts to hear about ZX Spectrum games & such, and interviews with the Oliver twins every 7-9 months. :)

Kenji Eno a prolific Japanese designer did "D" a horror-based game for PS1 & Saturn, D2 came out for Dreamcast, & something called D's Diner that I know nothing about. The protagonist Laura from D was also in Enemy Zero, a sound based Saturn horror game.

Wow, watching InRetroSpection's host try out the classic Atari & Activsion games was excruciating, esp. painful watching him play Pitfall 2, w/ his cohost giving him just plain wrong advice.