IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

285%3E_10529867.jpg

Episode 112 of the Retro Asylum sees Swainy and Paul D and the Drisk get to grips with Nintendos classic N64 console. They talk about its history, games and the impact it made as part of the advent of 3D gaming.

We think this is a top episode. Hopefully you can tell how much we all enjoyed putting it together!

http://retroasylum.podomatic.com/entry/2015-04-17T15_20_29-07_00

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/retro-asylum-podcast/id474414834?mt=2#episodeGuid=http%3A%2F%2Fretroasylum.podomatic.com%2Fentry%2F2015-04-17T15_20_29-07_00

• Like 1

Would you both stop! You're gonna confuse everyone! He's the host of the excellent Atari 7800 GBG podcast. Man, we need a fact checker around here before this gets out of hand! ;)

Geez! I leave this thread for a couple weeks, only to come back today and find out I'm now hosting 3 shows! What am I gonna tell my wife!?

:grin:

Oh well, no time to worry about that now. First order of business... no more sarcastic robots in podcasts! (except for The Intellivisionaries)

The Odyssey 2 and Robotic Announcer Guy ('William') are both quite upset about the proliferation of them now...

• Like 1

Geez! I leave this thread for a couple weeks, only to come back today and find out I'm now hosting 3 shows! What am I gonna tell my wife!?

:grin:

Oh well, no time to worry about that now. First order of business... no more sarcastic robots in podcasts! (except for The Intellivisionaries)

The Odyssey 2 and Robotic Announcer Guy ('William') are both quite upset about the proliferation of them now...

But the sarcastic robots are the best parts of podcasts! ;)

Especily yours....he always makes me crack up laughing. :grin:

Not that anyone here noticed, but Arcade Outsiders has gone 2 weeks without a show. Hope it's not due to infighting- Phet can get testy at times.

Recently they had Owen Rubin (Major Havoc) return as a guest. Actually quite interesting, despite the crass innuendo involved- not that he participates; he just rolls with it.

I like the sarcastic robots too, and have no intention of removing them from The Intellivisionaries.

I started doing that back in the first few episodes of the podcast. I just find it amusing that so many others are doing it now too. I suppose the Odyssey 2 and 'William' should flattered, since they are sort of trend setters in this regard.

;-)

I like the sarcastic robots too, and have no intention of removing them from The Intellivisionaries.

I started doing that back in the first few episodes of the podcast. I just find it amusing that so many others are doing it now too. I suppose the Odyssey 2 and 'William' should flattered, since they are sort of trend setters in this regard.

;-)

I agree, Intellivisionaries is grandfathered in and used well in context of the show. The others don't bother me at all, it is just getting less and less novel. Come to think of it, the Retroist was probably the first one I listened to utilizing the robot voice.

I know others have used a robotic voice over in podcasts for quite some time (Rob O'Hara with You Don't Know Flack, for one).. I just don't recall them being used for comedic effect with sarcasm in retro-gaming / retro-computing podcasts until I started doing that with The Intellivisionaries. Perhaps I'm wrong? In any case, I enjoy all the others.. And yes, Phil, yours is more disgruntled than sarcastic.

:P

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 1

I go my own way :) dont want to be the "me to" to have a robotic voice in the 'cast :) Still like them though, but my favorite is Mr. O2 on Intellivisionaries, cracks me up every time I hear what he has to say! However, I did do the obligatory "streets of cairo" flute at the end of The Atari 5200 Super Podcast as a nod to my awesome bud Ferg and the 2600 game by game podcast :) figured since it was a Atari cast it needed to be in episode 1 :)

Edited by thevnaguy
  • Like 3

Well, Apple Voice Over using Allison HD voice. Sounds like Siri though.

This was extremely well done, Wade. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very funny, unique idea, both in what you covered, and the way you covered it.

Allison should become a regular contributor to your show!

• Like 1

This was extremely well done, Wade. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very funny, unique idea, both in what you covered, and the way you covered it.

Allison should become a regular contributor to your show!

Thanks. I included Allison briefly in the episode following but was considering dropping her after reading the posts about robot overlords even though she is not so robotic. I will likely keep her to a minimum.

BTW, you would think that the episode was as easy as clicking record and read. Nope. 90% of the time involved was perfecting the script to get the speech just right, with pauses as appropriate, and correct pronunciation. Took some diving into Apples speech API. I posted about it on my blog here: http://unfinishedbitness.info/2015/02/10/taming-talk-on-os-x/

I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks. I included Allison briefly in the episode following but was considering dropping her after reading the posts about robot overlords even though she is not so robotic. I will likely keep her to a minimum.

BTW, you would think that the episode was as easy as clicking record and read. Nope. 90% of the time involved was perfecting the script to get the speech just right, with pauses as appropriate, and correct pronunciation. Took some diving into Apples speech API. I posted about it on my blog here: http://unfinishedbitness.info/2015/02/10/taming-talk-on-os-x/

I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks

The dropping robot voice over characters thing was just a joke from me. I wasn't serious. I like them.

:-D

And I know what you mean about time... With The Intellivisionaries, it takes a quite a while to get the pronunciations and timing just right with my software robot "William". And even more time for the Odyssey 2 bits, since I have to mic the console, and through trial and error, typing things out on the Odyssey 2 keyboard using the 'Type & Tell' cartridge, slowly piece together what I want him to say. And you have to do small sections at a time due to the limited input space of the console. Then there's editing all the parts afterwards. Just one of many reasons it takes so long to put out an episode.

But yeah, with a FULL episode like you did, I'm betting production took more time than a much longer / typical episode with YOU as the host!

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 1

For you PJs (like DJs, except with podcasts, you see? Okay...I'll start over.)

For you gentlemen who use Libsyn: Is it possible to simply upload an MP3 straight onto Libsyn and type the episode's brief description, or is a go-between FTP application necessary? I don't want to keep bugging Ferg with my amateurish questions; he's been very patient with me thus far. :)

• Like 1

I just figured that I should ask if direct uploads to Libsyn are even possible (without going through some other program), before I sign up! Then I'll have to guess at the amount of monthly storage I'm going to need. I'll eyeball it at first, if I even go through with this.

I'm grateful for all of your help, Ferg. You've been very encouraging.

Now, concerning the baking of cookies, what kind of chocolate chips would you... OUCH! Okay, I'll stop asking you quest... OUCH! Please stop hitting me with your Batman action fig... OUCH! (Running)

• Like 1