IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Minor pet peeve with podcast episodes: When you don't fill in the Artist,etc tags.

I put 'Nurmix' in the Composer slot, 'Intellivisionaries' in the Artist slot, but Album Artist is usually left blank since it doesn't really apply for a podcast. Nor do Track or Discnumber. Otherwise, everything is filled in.

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 1

118_nestastic_punchout.png

The Drisk and special guest Alex Mort of Retro Game Squad get to grips with Nintendo legendary ol grey toaster, the NES.

Special thanks to Alex Mort for co hosting this episode. Listen to Alex at http://www.retrogamesquad.com

Links to the book's mentioned in this episode:

Game Over by David Sheff:

https://archive.org/details/Game_Over_1999_Cyberactive_Publishing

Its Behind You by Bob Pape:

http://bizzley.com/

http://retroasylum.podomatic.com/enclosure/2015-06-26T04_42_07-07_00.mp3

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/episode-118-nes-tastic!/id474414834?i=345728992&mt=2

• Like 1

Player/Missile had a good cross-pollination heavy episode. It was like Voltron of various podcasters showing up.

The latest 2600 GBG was also awesome. The longer delay between episodes nets more audio submissions & a library reading.

• Like 3

The most recent Retronauts was a reader mail episode, and one person wrote in to ask why their pre-NES coverage is so sparse. Their response was basically that they didn't grow up with Atari/Intellivision/etc. and therefore do not have memories to share. Anything they could say about it would be little more than dry internet research. Which is a valid point, but are guests verboten? I could wax nostalgic for hours on the 2600 and Commodore 64, and I'm sure there are others in their circle that have plenty of pre-NES experience.

They did namecheck Atari Age, but mentioned that the forums aren't exactly fond of Retronauts :)

• Like 2

YES!!! I've thought this ever since they began using it! "This is Atari art, WTF are they using it?!" I planned to steal it, & use it as my FB pic, but never got around to it.

More fitting Retronauts artwork would be a pic of an NES Final Fantasy party, w/ each of the Retronauts faces superimposed onto the characters.

Funny. yesterday I decided to revisit/catch up on some 'casts I quit subbing to. The "listener mail" Retronauts show happens to be up next.

Also, the ANTIC interview w/ Cassie Maas was excellent. She was only in her early 20s when she worked there- not sure if she made that clear. ;)

Edited by RJ

Player/Missile had a good cross-pollination heavy episode. It was like Voltron of various podcasters showing up.

The latest 2600 GBG was also awesome. The longer delay between episodes nets more audio submissions & a library reading.

I too enjoyed the "draft" episode. If anyone else is doing one of those, I'd love to participate. I don't think we're going to do that on our podcast, as, frankly, I think other shows would do it better.

• Like 2

I too enjoyed the "draft" episode. If anyone else is doing one of those, I'd love to participate. I don't think we're going to do that on our podcast, as, frankly, I think other shows would do it better.

I'd love to be on a draft episode also. We tried to do one for my own podcast, but the guest hosts couldn't make it. Even if it's for a system I don't know a lot about I'd study up/play the games for it.

• Like 2

After I get back from Korea, I want to guest in on some 'casts. But I still need to do my Asia episode, and an episode of One & Done. And also: play video games. I feel bad not having any free time to play any videyah games. Last I played was MadWorld for Wii last weekend. It was meh. But only $2.

Darn, looks like one of the titans of podcasts, No Quarter is ending.

After careful consideration, I've decided to end the No Quarter Podcast - or at least give it a long, well-deserved vacation. It has become clear to me that at this point in my life, I am unable to make the committment needed to produce a weekly arcade podcast. I could make empty promises, even with the best of intentions to improve my reliability, but the truth is that by now, I'm clear that it isn't going to happen. I've had two co-hosts - three, if you count my Open Apple co-founder - make difficult decisions to move on because I'm unreliable and can't keep to an agreed-upon schedule. My co-hosts, the listeners, the show sponsor - you all deserve better. Here's the great thing though - because No Quarter Podcast is a public domain property, anyone can pick up the name, concept and artwork and run with it. Heck, even the two other co-hosts! Who knows what awesomeness could happen? In the meantime, consider the Pengo show to be the (temporary?) stopping point and thanks for everything. I look forward to whatever the future holds for us fellow arcade gaming fanatics. - m

But someone else is free to take the helm.

Pie Factory will continue as Pie Factory. We wanted to do something different from what NQP did -- they cover the technical details, we cover the game play...

It was surreal. Inky and I were actually at Underground Retrocade recording an episode when Scott Lambert, the owner, came over to us and told us that he needed to show us Facebook at our next available moment...and he showed us the NQP announcement. We're both sad to see that podcast go.

• Like 2

Pie Factory will continue as Pie Factory. We wanted to do something different from what NQP did -- they cover the technical details, we cover the game play...

It was surreal. Inky and I were actually at Underground Retrocade recording an episode when Scott Lambert, the owner, came over to us and told us that he needed to show us Facebook at our next available moment...and he showed us the NQP announcement. We're both sad to see that podcast go.

Great podcast, sad to see it ending :(

I will say one thing. I am sad to see No Quarter go, as it was the best of the arcade podcasts. I always enjoyed the Arcade Draft shows. Perhaps as a tribute we can pick that up.

Fare thee well, Rob and Mike!