IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

• 3 weeks later...

Racketboy This one's also worth listening to. They interviewed Eugene Jarvis. Can't get more classic(ie before the NES) than that.

I'm the host of the RB Podcast, and I've been going around the web a bit today trying to update some old links to the show and forgot that I never really posted about the show here. In any case, I am glad you enjoy the show (or did?). About a year and a half ago we also did an episode on 2600 homebrew with a few folks who post here on AtariAge (http://www.racketboy...i-2600-homebrew). In any case, the udpated link for our show is here: http://www.racketboy.com/podcast. There you can find the archive of old shows (we've had some amazing guests) and, in the most recent episodes, links to proper and updated iTunes and RSS feeds (and Twitter, email, etc.).

About five episodes ago I brought on a co-host, and now we feature a mix of more NPR-esque interview based shows (which have always been our focus) and shows which feature more discussion between hosts. Hopefully there's something for everyone. We also post new episodes every other week.

Edited by dsheinem
  • Like 1

So the latest Old Game Plus mentioned my post on here about OGP. Heh. Cool. They talk about my pros & cons in regards to the show. They go in depth about The Jaguar since I mentioned heads exploding. That was only anticipation since I've seen some rabid Jaguar fandom on here. :)

I really miss Levi Buchanan's Retrocity and Earl Evans' solo show Retrobits but it's good to see that Shane Monroe is back. :)

I LOVED those podcasts, they were both so nice to listen to with soothing voices. I was so annoyed that Earl kept slipping on his podcast routine he just could not stick to any sort of schedule. In case you don't know though Earl moved on to another podcast: http://web.me.com/dg...Roundtable.html

Earl, is back with a new Retrobits and is promising to stick with it.

• Like 2

I love the Retrobits podcast, I was with it form the beginning but I do not beleive that lol! I wish it were so but Earl has made this promise before, if the episodes don't slip then he goes on hiatus for extended periods, I love the podcast and will always recommend, listen and support it and Earl but don't get hopes up on the podcast maintaining a schedule.

So the latest Old Game Plus mentioned my post on here about OGP. Heh. Cool. They talk about my pros & cons in regards to the show. They go in depth about The Jaguar since I mentioned heads exploding. That was only anticipation since I've seen some rabid Jaguar fandom on here. :)

And as I listened to the podcast further, I found out I was quoted not once but twice, under 2 different handles. heh.

I really miss Levi Buchanan's Retrocity and Earl Evans' solo show Retrobits but it's good to see that Shane Monroe is back. :)

I LOVED those podcasts, they were both so nice to listen to with soothing voices. I was so annoyed that Earl kept slipping on his podcast routine he just could not stick to any sort of schedule. In case you don't know though Earl moved on to another podcast: http://web.me.com/dg...Roundtable.html

Here's hoping it lasts. It's pretty much my favourite old school podcast. Regardless, it's nice to have at least one more new episode. :)

Does anyone know of any decent British/European podcasts? I enjoy listening to the North American ones that I've found but I wish there was a good quality classic gaming podcast with a view on the British scene. It was very different in the 70's and 80's over here and it would be nice to hear others reminisce about the old 8 bits like the Dragon 32 or even the Speccy... There was no real crash over here in the early 80's so I feel like there's this massive hole in the coverage of the old gaming/computing scene...

• 2 weeks later...

so I heard the latest MondoCoolcast for lack of options last night, even though Im not subscribed. Turns out I havent missed much. Jerry got a co-host (Mitch) who swears more than HE does & does a stupid demon voice at times. I made it through their "news" part & everything after that was a waste of time. I can't believe he'll get more subscribers if he doesn't make some drastic changes- but then again he prob. already has his core audience.

Does anyone know of any decent British/European podcasts? I enjoy listening to the North American ones that I've found but I wish there was a good quality classic gaming podcast with a view on the British scene. It was very different in the 70's and 80's over here and it would be nice to hear others reminisce about the old 8 bits like the Dragon 32 or even the Speccy... There was no real crash over here in the early 80's so I feel like there's this massive hole in the coverage of the old gaming/computing scene...

Yes, I think it's called Retro Asylum. They do weekly shows. They are very UK. You might like them.

so I heard the latest MondoCoolcast for lack of options last night, even though Im not subscribed. Turns out I havent missed much. Jerry got a co-host (Mitch) who swears more than HE does & does a stupid demon voice at times. I made it through their "news" part & everything after that was a waste of time. I can't believe he'll get more subscribers if he doesn't make some drastic changes- but then again he prob. already has his core audience.

OH I have to have a listen tomorrow when putting in overtime. BTW I haven't forgotten you for co-hosting with me on my 'cast. I have to try some Skype stuff. I asked The Retro League on tips to do it.

I've been so slammed with work I only got 50% of my episode done. Heh

Well, I dont know why I do it to myself, but just d/l'ed Jerry Terr's latest #74, even after I pissed all over #73. We'll see if it puts me to sleep tonight. I actually want to hear about his new PS Move.

I mentioned that podcast on the previous page.

Got 4 Press Start podcasts- passable overall.. Seem like Jerry Terrifying trainees, but there's actually more content. Once again, my concerns lie w/ the hosts' abilities. One guy has a slight lateral S speech impediment that comes & goes (we'll call it mushmouth). & when another guy does a news story he reads like a 3rd grader.

The 3rd guy NostalgicDan1 has a voice that's too light & airy, it needs some conviction, for lack of a better term.His voice pitch/timbre/inflection never changes. He does an OK job, it just bugs me. I just have to understand that the kind of people doing these aren't gonna have broadcast-quality voices or delivery.

Hey just spent the last half hr looking back at this topic- it's been going for nearly 3 yrs. Fun & interesting to see how our podcasts taste evolve & change, & seeing which shows actually survived.

• Like 1

Got about halfway thru the latest Press Start podcast when I decided to play Klondike solitaire on my iPod instead. & that's w/ the option to listen as I played.

Press Start= press delete.

So for the next episode of The Retro League, I'll be on it. I had most of the ColecoVision launch titles that was the topic. I went thru 2 other mics before settling on my SOCOM headset. I had to mute it between talking because any movement translated into fighting/shuffling sounds.

My Acer Aspire one's mic jack won't work due to the fact the webcam + mic takes over.

I gots to get a better mic! I've had no luck getting a decent headset.

Got about halfway thru the latest Press Start podcast when I decided to play Klondike solitaire on my iPod instead. & that's w/ the option to listen as I played.

Press Start= press delete.

WOW. The intro seems semi-pro, but once the teenager host starts talking, it sounds like he's reading off of a cuecard. This is RetroCore bad. Lots of worthless teenage banter.

I haven't forgotten you on the prospect of our podcast. With me recording a segment on The Retro League, I have some audio issues to sort out.

I listened to 8 eps of Cynical Gamer. Started out very promising, almost like Classic L337 shouldve been- 2 guys/friends BSing about games w/ minor profanity, but by show #7 something strange happened, as if thats when they took a "Terrifying" turn & decided to swear every other sentence. Like they took a drink of the Jerry T. Kool-Aid & chased it w/ a shot of Jeremy Parrish "no one cares, no one's listening". Interesting thing, though, is w/ 20 or so min left, the host states they've been losing listeners, so I'm thinking maybe they decided to cuss it up a bit to regain listenership. I dunno, I'll keep listening- I've given worse podcasts a better chance.

• Like 1

Enjoy hearing my lousy-quality voice on Retro League.

I listened to Old Games Plus and they mentioned me again! They think I am their only listener. So everyone else, listen up(ie them). They had a good episode about racing games and didn't go into Final Fantasy talk.

Yes I enjoyed both those eps. Old Games+ thinks you live in the UK for some reason. :) It was a long show but I feel they still managed to miss quite a few racing games in the 80s. TX-1 was a 3-monitor Atari game, & Suzuka 8 hr had 8 motorcycles all in a row! (I guess it may have been 4 2-plyr machines in a row)

Your audio kept fading in/out on Retro League. Overall that ep was quieter than usual for everyone though, I couldnt hear it at work & had to listen on a break. Good stuff though. Oh, & Coleco Space Panic is way better than a D- whoever gave it that, & IMO Space Fury isnt worth getting, gets dull fast. I got it in a CV bundle from ToyRiffic & was one of the 1st carts I got rid of.

Edited by RJ

Your audio kept fading in/out on Retro League. Overall that ep was quieter than usual for everyone though, I couldnt hear it at work & had to listen on a break. Good stuff though. Oh, & Coleco Space Panic is way better than a D- whoever gave it that, & IMO Space Fury isnt worth getting, gets dull fast. I got it in a CV bundle from ToyRiffic & was one of the 1st carts I got rid of.

What I used was a SOCOM PS2 headset. When I wasn't talking, I hit the mute button on it to let the others talk. I only unmuted to talk. Last night when I was recording my own thang, I used a cheap stand mic that was taped back together. For some reason, it picked things up a lot better. Then I got a tummy ache & went to go see Prometheus, so episode isn't final yet.