IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

the Game by Game Podcast site

Thanks for setting this up, and thanks for including Sprite Castle (the step-child of the "game by game" podcasts. I've already found a couple of shows I wasn't aware of that I'm looking forward to checking out!

That and/or the Amiga CD32, which has at least 150 titles (with new ones being ported from the Amiga to the CD32 on a regular basis).

I wasn't aware of that. How cool. I have a CD32 and a ton of games, but I've only used the thing once or twice -- it requires a PAL-to-NTSC converter. That's not really a problem, but most of the games can be played on my A1200 anyway. It's a nifty console, though.

I wasn't aware of that. How cool. I have a CD32 and a ton of games, but I've only used the thing once or twice -- it requires a PAL-to-NTSC converter. That's not really a problem, but most of the games can be played on my A1200 anyway. It's a nifty console, though.

Of course there's no copy protection built in to the CD32 so you can simply download and burn ISO files and play them. That being said, I think the system is somewhat finicky when it comes to what brand of CD-Rs it'll read.

I think these guys track all the unofficial CD32 ports being done: http://unofficial-cd32-ports.blogspot.co.nz/

I own an NTSC one, which sucks for playing PAL games.

• Like 2

Listening to the first Pie Factory episode (Donkey Kong) and my first impressions are it's ok, but I wish people would not suck on candy when they are podcasting because the noise of smacking lips is annoying to the listener! This should be rule number one for podcasting: don't do it while you are eating, sucking on candy, or chewing gum. Hopefully this doesn't happen on every episode or it will get taken off my playlist quckly...

There's an explanation for that. A few weeks earlier I developed a nasty cold and a horrible cough. When I get a cough, I usually end up with bronchitis, and cough every few minutes, sometimes for weeks. I was sucking on cough drops at the time to help soothe my cough. My cough is under control now. I mostly only cough now when riding my bike up steep hills. I think only the first two episodes I was using cough drops. I do not use them now.

Edited by Inky
  • Like 2

Quick audacity question. Adding background music and it's a bit too long. On the audio channel, if I tweak up/down the gain, will it take effect in the final rendering of the file, or is that there just for listening whilst editing? I'm using Envelope to fade in/out, but it's not enough,.

Quick audacity question. Adding background music and it's a bit too long. On the audio channel, if I tweak up/down the gain, will it take effect in the final rendering of the file, or is that there just for listening whilst editing? I'm using Envelope to fade in/out, but it's not enough,.

Whatever is onscreen at the time you export is what will get exported. I haven't used envelope, I use fade in/out and auto duck for background music. Quack.

• Like 1

I was going to e-mail you, Shinto, because I noticed there wasn't an entry for the Commodore CDTV, which was basically an Amiga 2000 with a fancy CD player...but I don't know if there were enough games to warrant a "game by game" podcast for it...

Ah, yes, the CDTV. I just added it to no.gamebygamepodcast.com, along with several other low-game-count platforms, because why not? These include the Casio PV-1000 (15 games), Action Max (5 "games"), Interactive Vision (7 "games"), the SuperGrafx (7 games), and the Nuon (8 games plus homebrew). How did I forget the Nuon?

Even if nobody tackles these limited platforms, I kind of like to list them on the site, if only to make people say, "Casio made a video game system?" Maybe someone will launch a Forgotten System Game by Game Podcast and cover all these at once.

That and/or the Amiga CD32, which has at least 150 titles (with new ones being ported from the Amiga to the CD32 on a regular basis).

I had the CD32 listed incorrectly, so that's fixed now.

• Like 1

What?!?!?!?

No RDI Halcyon?

I would totally do that if I had one!

"Welcome to the second and final episode of the Halcyon Game by Game Podcast"

If it's one thing I would love to collect, it would be that one. Such a fascinating system. The ultimate holy grail of collecting. Remember reading about it in one of my old gaming magazines.

Rumor was Cassandra Peterson(Elvira) was an investor and has one.

A new podcast has entered the ring?

The Dreamcast Junkyard

Blocked at work, but here's some breadcrumbs..

http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/p/podcast.html

I started listening to them about a week ago, as I have been very interested in finding a Dreamcast podcast. There are 3 hosts, one from the U.S, one from England, and one from Australia. Not really a game by game sort of podcast, as they do cover a lot in each episode. Its an ok podcast.....just when the guys from England and Australia start talking really fast...it gets hard to understand. Would be nice to see another Dreamcast podcast enter the ring.....cant go wrong with two!

Ah, yes, the CDTV. I just added it to no.gamebygamepodcast.com, along with several other low-game-count platforms, because why not? These include the Casio PV-1000 (15 games), Action Max (5 "games"), Interactive Vision (7 "games"), the SuperGrafx (7 games), and the Nuon (8 games plus homebrew). How did I forget the Nuon?

Even if nobody tackles these limited platforms, I kind of like to list them on the site, if only to make people say, "Casio made a video game system?" Maybe someone will launch a Forgotten System Game by Game Podcast and cover all these at once.

I had the CD32 listed incorrectly, so that's fixed now.

Shinto, maybe you could ad TI-99/4-A to the list? I know I would listen to that one.

• Like 2

Shinto, maybe you could ad TI-99/4-A to the list? I know I would listen to that one.

OK, I just added it. I'd listen to a TI-99/4A podcast; I have fond memories playing Munch Man at a friend's house, and owned one plus a dozen or so games back in the late 90s.

OK, I just added it. I'd listen to a TI-99/4A podcast; I have fond memories playing Munch Man at a friend's house, and owned one plus a dozen or so games back in the late 90s.

I've been bugging that Omega guy to make one for months now.

One of the people behind "Tilt! The Battle to Save Pinball" is doing an audio segment on Player/Missile. *good cross-pollination intensifies*

Yeah, turns out he grew up with the Atari 8-bits and offered to do a magazine segment. His name is Greg Maletic and he was the director of that documentary, which I haven't seen yet. But, in emailing with him coordinating the segment (and the tidbits he dropped in the segment) it sounds like the same sort of stuff that went on in the computer industry: a company struggling to keep up as the tech and/or audience changed. I'm not really into pinball, but it sounds fascinating with all the behind the scenes stuff on the new hardware they were developing. Definitely going to watch.

122A.png

Steve Erickson jumps into the hot seat for this episode of Retro Asylum, the team are also joined by Chris ORegan of The Sausage Factory fame as they look at the Amstrad CPC range of computers and a few CPC games along the way too.

iTunes users, we have now changed service providers so you will have to re-subscribe:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/retro-ayslum-uks-number-1/id474414834?mt=2

To hear more from Chris ORegan, listen to his show: http://spong.com/podcasts/tsf/

Download links:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/retroasylum/RA_Podcast_Episode_122.mp3

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/retro-ayslum-uks-number-1/id474414834?mt=2#episodeGuid=a1b521a187676fe0a548e44ff8295edf

Edited by Swainy

A new podcast has entered the ring?

The Dreamcast Junkyard

I added this show to dreamcast.gamebygamepodcast.com for lack of anything else in the Dreamcast world, though BadHornet is right, it's not actually a game-by-game podcast. If something comes along that does focus on the games, fitting my arbitrary criteria for the site, I'll probably swap it out.

What?? No Tomy Tutor Computer podcast???

Added! Great version of Pooyan on that system, if memory serves. My buddy Fred had one of these.

• Like 1

Excellent show, Shinto! We never had any doubts.

What a coincidence we each got PS3s with Jag money! Funny thing, I played through my Jaguar games just before selling mine, as a goodbye, & one of my boys sat with me & seemed to be getitng into it! But I explained to get Minecraft, I'd have to sell this.

They were already familiar with PS2 controllers, so thats why I chose the PS3 version. In fact, some of our PS3 games are LEGO, which we had on PS2 (Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones etc). I also got Little Big Planet, but they've barely touched it, & they've watched me play 3D Dot Game Heroes. I also got Xevious: Resurrection via a PS3 Store NAMCO bundle. Sadly, the Pac-Man game on that seems to be a PS1 port.

I'll definitely (why do so many people write "defiantly"?) acknowledge the Trevor McFur thing on its show. I guess it's not actually an oversight, but once discovered, you wonder why they didnt do something about it.

Oh, & thx to you & Bishop for explaining your email notifications for AA PMs. I kept checking my submission here, but the "Not Yet Read" status never changed, & I thought "It's not gonna make the show!" then realized with an email notice, you can read it in your email.

Oh, & I too never had a problem with the Jaguar controller & never knew what the fuss was about.

Edited by RJ

I'm going to listen to that at work here today, but I'm really looking forward to it.

As I explained in a submission I sent in to the show -- I have small hands, so the standard Jag controller to me felt big and blocky and unconfertable. Similar to the original Xbox controller -- useable, but not confertable. Not the worst controller made, but Atari never made great controllers save for the 2600, IMHO. Plus there weren't enough buttons and the keypad was a throwback to the old days, totally undeeded on a modern controller.