IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I do have duplicate artists & stuff, and have made an effort to clean up the metadata(ID3 tags), and it has helped a bit. However, it doesn't change the fact iTunes just loves to change their interface every 6 months. Just when you get comfortable with what button goes where, they change it all.

• Like 2

However, it doesn't change the fact iTunes just loves to change their interface every 6 months. Just when you get comfortable with what button goes where, they change it all.

This is why I have stopped updating iTunes on my computer. I'm going to pull a Windows XP and keep the version I have until it starts missing podcasts I want.

• Like 1

I use Downcast on my iPhone for all my podcast listening. The app pulls everything in, my iPhone never talks to iTunes.

My meta data is pretty solid, and my complaints about iTunes don't have to do with that. In general, I prefer to manage my own music. It's well organized on my hard drive, and simple programs like WinAmp fit the bill for playing it.

I did use it to organize my old iPod Nano that is full of '70s and '80s tunes for my garage arcade, but that seldom needs updating (and the version I have installed on an extra Windows PC in my office is an older one).

I guess it comes down to NOT wanting software to do more than I need. I'm not a fan of things like iPhoto or Picasa either. My photos are organized on my hard drive how I like them, and a program like Irfanview is all I need to view them.

I don't like software that hides things from the user in an attempt to make it easier. I want my files where they are, and I want access to them directly.

I don't even use the Windows "My Documents", "My Pictures" thing. Never have. Most of my PCs have 2 drives, and they are partitioned in C D E F G H - where C is Windows, D is applications, E is gaming, F is data (pictures, text), G is audio, H is miscellaneous. That goes back to my Atari ST and Falcon days. It works for me, probably not for most.

• Like 1

Sunday chores. I have now found 5 utterences of "BITD" in less than 2 hours. This could be the new Final Fantasy for casting tropes.

How many of my favorite have you found? ("shout out!")...

Whenever I hear that, all I can think of is cheesy '90s hip hop, gaudy neck jewelry, and Vanilla Ice. I also feel like whenever one uses it, they also need to use the words "posse" and/or "peeps" in combination with it.

I do have duplicate artists & stuff, and have made an effort to clean up the metadata(ID3 tags), and it has helped a bit. However, it doesn't change the fact iTunes just loves to change their interface every 6 months. Just when you get comfortable with what button goes where, they change it all.

I concur with these statements. The constant overhauling of the UI is getting old. I liked it just fine at version 10.

For Nurmix, you can manage your library manually with iTunes as well. It just takes some setting changes.

Edited by Ripdubski

OK, so it looks like podcasters are no longer allowed to use:

- back in the day

- old school/skool

- "SNES" pronounced "sneeze" (personally, I do it because it's one syllable versus a minimum of four)

- peeps

- shout out

Am I missing something??

Tell ya what...I'll stop using these phrases and terms when magazine authors stop using "juggernaut" and "zeitgeist."

As for iTunes...yeah, it annoys me when they change the interface, but it reflects the ever-increasing functionality that iOS devices get. If the interface doesn't change, the clutter gets more and more....uhhh....cluttered. I've found that what they've been doing with iTunes is basically encapsulating certain functions. It can be a beyotch to find the encapsulations but a quick DuckDuckGo search works wonders.

• Like 1

- back in the day

- old school/skool

- "SNES" pronounced "sneeze" (personally, I do it because it's one syllable versus a minimum of four)

- peeps

- shout out

doing a palm plant right now......... my peeve is seeing all this concern about these peeves :P

• Like 4

For Nurmix, you can manage your library manually with iTunes as well. It just takes some setting changes.

Oh, I know. That's how it's set up on the one PC I occasionally use it for with my old iPod. I just don't like the software in general. I only use it when I have to.

And to keep this on topic (heh heh) - thankfully I don't have to to download and manage all the podcasts I listen to on my iPhone with Downcast.

I realize your post is a bit 'tongue in cheek', but...

Not at all. Use whatever phrases you like. Just because one podcaster doesn't like a given phrase doesn't mean the entire podcasting collective must not use said phrase - although that seems to have happened now with BITD once Ferg expressed his dislike of it. We've discussed that on our show plenty of times - and it's good fodder for jokes.

Cross-talk / cross-promotion (shout outs?) whatever you want to call it on the various gaming podcasts - makes things more connected and fun.

• Like 1

ATTENTION -- SNES PODCAST CHANGES

We have changed hosting services. You can now find the website and new ITunes feed at the following places:

Hosting: http://thesnespodcast.libsyn.com/podcast

ITunes: https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/the-snes-podcast/id1037735463

The newest episode on Chrono Trigger is ONLY on this hosting site.

As of 9-18 we will be shutting down the old Podomatic site and ITunes link, so please update your links!

Then I tell them to fix their meta data and see if their experience improves with their current app and if not, try iTunes again. Then I hear "that sounds like a lot of work". Well, it is, but the payoff is worth it.

MediaMonkey for the win.

If you have thousands and thousands of disorganized MP3s, there's no real way around it: there is going to be work involved in getting stuff organized. But MediaMonkey makes it about as painless as one could ask for, IMO. You can batch edit as many files as you want, meaning, for example, you could select 120 songs by the Rolling Stones, right-click, properties, change the artist name to "Rolling Stones" or "The Rolling Stones", and they all get updated accordingly. Then, you can do the same for album names, etc. Once the tag info is correct (and--just as importantly--consistent), select the files and do a right-click "auto organize files". This feature renames and moves the files around on your harddrive using the tag info, so that you can have them organized and tidy, using a structure you specify. Really, it's not much work at all to maintain once you get your "legacy" stuff organized, because then it's just a matter of doing all new stuff as you get it.

My entire music collection of tens of thousands of songs is organized into a library\artist\album directory structure using a filename covention of ARTIST - TRACK_NAME.mp3. I can copy those files and take them anywhere, and they're already fully organized without the need for a software front end.

As a side note, even with organized data, I think iTunes is bloody torture; I hate it.

I use the iPhone podcasts app for podcast consumption. Thankfully, it can be done completely without having to hook up to the PC and use iTunes, because I'd be finding an alternative solution in a big old hurry if that were necessary.

Edited by Cynicaster
  • Like 1

I'm indifferent about Square Wave FM Radio. The first episode I did featured the host's wife/gf(?), who sounds like Homestar Runner. EVERY episode is 3 hours long, and so far I'm not getting past 10 minutes.

Listening to a different episode which has the guy from DOS Nostalgia, who's a better co-host.

• Like 1

MediaMonkey for the win.

As a side note, even with organized data, I think iTunes is bloody torture; I hate it.

I use the iPhone podcasts app for podcast consumption. Thankfully, it can be done completely without having to hook up to the PC and use iTunes, because I'd be finding an alternative solution in a big old hurry if that were necessary.

Thanks for the tip, Cynicaster. I will definitely be checking out MediaMonkey.

As for your iTunes / iPhone comments... it's like we're the same person!

:lolblue:

I'm indifferent about Square Wave FM Radio. The first episode I did featured the host's wife/gf(?), who sounds like Homestar Runner. EVERY episode is 3 hours long, and so far I'm not getting past 10 minutes.

Listened very briefly to their "weird games" ep. but didnt hear enough to form an opinion. Oh well, I trust you. The giant podcast thread does it again.

Thanks for the tip, Cynicaster. I will definitely be checking out MediaMonkey.

As for your iTunes / iPhone comments... it's like we're the same person!

:lolblue:

It's definitely worth a look for any "serious" curator of digital music who wants to stay organized; maybe not so much for the folks who struggle to fill up a 1GB mp3 player with music they like.

I've been using MediaMonkey for so long I can't remember which features are included in the free version and which features require "MediaMonkey Gold" (I'm a paying user, myself; price is reasonable), but I'm almost certain that the file organization features are in the free version.

The software also supports video files (a fairly recent development), but I don't use it for that at all, so can't comment on it.

In today's climate of grotesquely over-simplified software and mobile-centric, tiddlywink apps, I fear that feature-rich powertools like MediaMonkey are a dying breed. The tradeoff to versatility is a bit of a learning curve (by modern standards, anyway), but once you get your screens/panes configured the way you like them and showing the info you want, and if you have any idea how to use a computer, it's smooth sailing from there.

• Like 1

It's definitely worth a look for any "serious" curator of digital music who wants to stay organized; maybe not so much for the folks who struggle to fill up a 1GB mp3 player with music they like.

I've been using MediaMonkey for so long I can't remember which features are included in the free version and which features require "MediaMonkey Gold" (I'm a paying user, myself; price is reasonable), but I'm almost certain that the file organization features are in the free version.

In today's climate of grotesquely over-simplified software and mobile-centric, tiddlywink apps, I fear that feature-rich powertools like MediaMonkey are a dying breed. The tradeoff to versatility is a bit of a learning curve (by modern standards, anyway), but once you get your screens/panes configured the way you like them and showing the info you want, and if you have any idea how to use a computer, it's smooth sailing from there.

I'm happy to pay for software I find useful. And no problems using a computer - that's my business (IT).