IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I swore I heard the name Rick Reynolds on Floppy Days, but not referring to the podcaster, but someone involved in the Intelly.

And as of this weekend at Midwest Gaming Classic, all golden poddie winners have received their golden poddie. chrisbd was the first winner, but got the trophy delivered last. Mission accomplished.

• Like 3

I swore I heard the name Rick Reynolds on Floppy Days, but not referring to the podcaster, but someone involved in the Intelly.

And as of this weekend at Midwest Gaming Classic, all golden poddie winners have received their golden poddie. chrisbd was the first winner, but got the trophy delivered last. Mission accomplished.

Dave Rolfe did say "Rick Reynolds", but he misspoke. The guy who did the music for the Keyboard Component was Rick Randalls (or Randall - not sure on the spelling). Dave talked about him in one of our early Intellivisionaries episodes (Baseball or Poker & Blackjack).

• 2 weeks later...

You don't mean the Player One podcast with the ex-EGM writing staff member Chris "CJ" Johnston as host...

I see there's a podcast that breaks down the "RP1" book chapter by chapter & discusses each one per episode. I disliked the book but the podcast interests me.

Edited by RJ

Wow that Player One podcast goes back to late 2006. I listened until they got onto PS3 talk (it got modern).

The retrospective eps. where CJ's guests are ex-EGM editors are the best.

Edited by RJ

Vertical Blank is uplifting. I'm reminded of the Sklar brothers on their "Cheap Seats" show on ESPN Classic.

B+

I'm a big fan of the Atari 8-bits, and the brother angle is quite cool. As long as they keep to a minimum the "listen to me play a video game on an audio podcast" thing (yawn), it could be very enjoyable.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

• 2 weeks later...

Weird. I randomly decided to an episode of 2600 magazine's "Off The Hook", and now one of the hosts of RetroComputing Roundtable is chiming in about the Vintage Computer Festival.

I try leaving the retro gaming/computing podcast scene, and the cross-pollination follows me. Heh

I used to listen to Off the Hook all the time (and Emmanuel/Eric read a lot of my e-mails!) and even have their t-shirt, but it got too knee-jerky for me. Also used to subscribe to 2600 until recently; just too much of the same stuff that didn't really apply to my interests. (And I went to HOPE in 2012, which actually was fun, but for me, it was a "once is enough" thing.)

• Like 1

I used to listen to Off the Hook all the time (and Emmanuel/Eric read a lot of my e-mails!) and even have their t-shirt, but it got too knee-jerky for me. Also used to subscribe to 2600 until recently; just too much of the same stuff that didn't really apply to my interests. (And I went to HOPE in 2012, which actually was fun, but for me, it was a "once is enough" thing.)

Before diving into retrogaming, I used to go to 2600 meetings and all that, and left. I used to listen to him more often, but he started to come off as some sort of modern day Andy Rooney on 60 Minutes segment, which was kind of funny in itself.

I do remember when Rich the rebel would call into the show every time & irritate the hosts with some trivial discovery about pay phones.

I did go to DefCon in '94 as a sister lived in Vegas, so free room & board.

Man oh man, does 2600 bring back a lot of memories. After my friends and I couldn't find an official 2600 gathering local to us in the mid 90s, we decided to form our own. We took everything super seriously, taking turns giving presentations and "assigning research topics," ha ha. The pizza joint we met at (which had good pizza and great beer) was located right next to a college campus, so after the meetings ended we would go exploring, looking for unlocked telco boxes and payphones to abuse. One of the guys made redboxes for everyone using the guts from Hallmark greeting cards that worked surprisingly well (and much longer than most people realize). We also made a map of all the great places around town to go dumpster diving. This one time, out behind the AT&T plant... oh, the stories I could tell. I'll have to check the statute of limitations on some of them. :)

In 2007 I gave a presentation about self-publishing at NotaCon, and was surprised to see Emmanuel sitting in the front row next to Drew Curtis (the founder of Fark). It was probably more thrilling for me than them.

uTjO1WI.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A new 8 bit podcast is out with 2 episodes. I have super vacation backlog so I have not yet listened. Its called the XLXE Podcast. This is their Twitter feed, they are on iTunes but I think their main area is Soundcloud? That site does weird things to my phone.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://mobile.twitter.com/xlxepodcast&ved=2ahUKEwiHra-UxaPcAhWRnOAKHd-uBwAQjjgwAXoECAUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw26utqQpwO7vKpSJDI0mk9n

• Like 2