IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I would love to hear a straight up Atari podcast about the 2600 and things related to that.

I will be introducing a new segment that will flip flop monthly with my It Came From Mame Segment. This new segment is called Atar-Rewind and will be a 15-30 minute segment covering nothing but Atari 2600 related goodness. Atar-Rewind will get kicked off in the July podcast appropriately enough by discussing and reviewing five lost gems of the Atari 2600 gaming catalog. So you can all expect considerable more dedicated Atari 2600 content in the months to come on http://www.RetroGamingRoundup.com :)

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 1

Yeah the music really threw me off this time, maybe b/c it's been so long since I heard his show. I came to the conclusion he's using it to be original & maybe even using it as filler. Something tells me he should focus on the musical aspects of his life, seems like he wants to do that anyway.

@Parrothead- w/ that annoouncement yours is quickly becoming my favorite gaming podcast!

Edited by RJ

Yeah the music really threw me off this time, maybe b/c it's been so long since I heard his show. I came to the conclusion he's using it to be original & maybe even using it as filler. Something tells me he should focus on the musical aspects of his life, seems like he wants to do that anyway.

@Parrothead- w/ that annoouncement yours is quickly becoming my favorite gaming podcast!

Hey RJ,

We aim to please :) I think Atar-Rewind will be alot of fun and hope everyone enjoys it. Our July episode should be dropping tomorrow so give my new segment a listen and let me know what you all think :)

Just finished the Top 10 section of the latest Retro Gaming Roundup (great so far, I loved the banter back and forth during the Top 10).  Can't wait to finish it.

S1500, Jerry Terrifying is a pretty cool guy.  His show is pretty cool and definitely different than the norm.  Check out a podcast called Gooch and the Dooshebag, they are hilarious and also pretty cool.  Yes, I am friends with the hosts of both shows but I was a fan first, and still am.  

Ha. Funny.

I tried the Crackdown 2 demo, didn't care for it much(too much like the first one), and at the end, it showed some positive quips from reviewers. One of them? Jeremy Parish, host of Retronauts. Heh. OMG! FINAL FANTASY! HIDEO KOJIMA!

After hearing more Mondocool 'casts I'm starting to picture Mr Terrifying more as a smarmy used-car salesman...

He does keep it interesting though; Im compelled to listen. Good luck to his endeavors in becoming Champion of the Internet or King of Youtube or whatever. ;)

BTW- as he goes into the interview segment, some 8-bit notes play. It's "Fanfare for the Common Man", but it's from a game I know I once owned but cant recall. I want to say it was a space game (not a shooter) & for some reason I picture the game's main character looking up at the night sky w/ a larger single star twinkling...:ponder:

After hearing more Mondocool 'casts I'm starting to picture Mr Terrifying more as a smarmy used-car salesman...

He does keep it interesting though; Im compelled to listen. Good luck to his endeavors in becoming Champion of the Internet or King of Youtube or whatever. ;)

BTW- as he goes into the interview segment, some 8-bit notes play. It's "Fanfare for the Common Man", but it's from a game I know I once owned but cant recall. I want to say it was a space game (not a shooter) & for some reason I picture the game's main character looking up at the night sky w/ a larger single star twinkling...:ponder:

No, no I'm a real life champion. I run marathons and want to train to complete the Iron Man I used to power lift but had to stop so that I'd have time to train for marathons and local triathalons. :D But I do want to be the king of youtube and podcasting.

One podcast I enjoyed, but other apparently did not, was the now defunct Retrocity (IGN) with Levi Buchanan. He did the show solo, avoiding the typical "morning zoo" BS, and it was only 20 minutes or so. But more actual retro game info in 20 minutes than in an hour of Retronauts. It is still available on iTunes. Morgan

Yeah I liked Retrocity, a good substitute now is The Retroist. He has some gaming related pocasts, & I'll be damned if its not the same guy. Same calm, even-tempered, professional speech & all. Shows under 1 hr too.

But he never gives his name. Even on his accompanying site he's "The Retroist".

But I do want to be the king of youtube and podcasting.

Oh, believe me, I can tell. That's quite evident.

Edited by RJ

as he goes into the interview segment, some 8-bit notes play. It's "Fanfare for the Common Man", but it's from a game I know I once owned but cant recall. I want to say it was a space game (not a shooter)...

Got it! ColecoVision Space Fury. Didnt care for it so I dumped it soon after purchase.

One podcast I enjoyed, but other apparently did not, was the now defunct Retrocity (IGN) with Levi Buchanan. He did the show solo, avoiding the typical "morning zoo" BS, and it was only 20 minutes or so. But more actual retro game info in 20 minutes than in an hour of Retronauts. It is still available on iTunes. Morgan

Retrocity is great. Nice bite-size podcasts without, as you said, the morning zoo stuff. Like, I have to ask, what does E3 have to do with podcasts that are of classic & retro video games? Not much. Really, not much. And yes, he covers more than Retronauts. Oh, can we talk about the video games industry & namedrop Hideo Kajima 5 times more?

Jerry, welcome to this thread. I and others said many negative things about other video game podcasts, so enjoy. As for your podcast, I do like the Howard Stern angle to it. You're not afraid to call things out and you wouldn't be afraid to say something outlandish like "oh just download the emulator & try it."

So many podcasters seem to think the podcast police(headed by Adam Curry) are going to bust down the door & arrest them if they even hint at downloading a game ROM to play it.

Yeah I liked Retrocity, a good substitute now is The Retroist. He has some gaming related pocasts, & I'll be damned if its not the same guy. Same calm, even-tempered, professional speech & all. Shows under 1 hr too.

But he never gives his name. Even on his accompanying site he's "The Retroist".

I checked this out; if that isnt Levi Buchanan, then it's his even cooler twin. He tells alot of personal stories though and I have yet to find a smoking gun to say for sure. People should really check out the Retroist. About half the shows are game related, split evenly between specific games and systems. Since I know most of this info already, it is the non gaming shows that really blow my mind. I have listened to his shows on the Smurfs, Cabbage Patch, Gremlins, etc, where I had very little initial interest and was fascinated with all the info, history, songs, commercials, etc that he comes up with. Great stuff! Morgan

Got all caught up on my usual 'casts so I decided to listen to a few Retrocore eps. Not much improvement. They had a female co-host on one ep, & another the past regular co-host Colin (The Canadian) returns. I still find their speech patterns/dialects difficult to listen to, & now the host has a girlfriend, about which he doesn't hesitate to inform the listeners.

Why do these podcasters insist on telling us they have girlfriends/sig others/are world champions/etc? To me they're just gamers w/ enough time to do a podcast.

Edited by RJ

Got all caught up on my usual 'casts so I decided to listen to a few Retrocore eps. Not much improvement. They had a female co-host on one ep, & another the past regular co-host Colin (The Canadian) returns. I still find their speech patterns/dialects difficult to listen to, & now the host has a girlfriend, about which he doesn't hesitate to inform the listeners.

Why do these podcasters insist on telling us they have girlfriends/sig others/are world champions/etc? To me they're just gamers w/ enough time to do a podcast.

Speaking of the usual flaws with Retrocore(Colin, the Ed McMahon of the podcast who contributes nothing), does it spend 60% of the show on Pokemon, and the last 15 minutes on the main topic? I don't know if I could make a worse podcast than that. I really, honestly don't.

I also tried Armchair Gamer's. I'm going to give it a few more episodes before I'm passing judgment.

Me too, though I wasnt too impressed w/ their 1st ep. They need more "retrogaming" in their retrogaming podcast. & I dont know what Webkinz has to do w/ anything, unless she tied it in to retrogaming like Pokemon somehow. Seems like that Webkinz report belonged on a parenting site/podcast instead. IIRC she took some info right from the Webkinz site, so we could just go there if we want to know anything about it.

Actually I wasnt very interested in the other topics either. As a result, I skipped thru most of it.

Edited by RJ

Me too, though I wasnt too impressed w/ their 1st ep. They need more "retrogaming" in their retrogaming podcast. & I dont know what Webkinz has to do w/ anything, unless she tied it in to retrogaming like Pokemon somehow. Seems like that Webkinz report belonged on a parenting site/podcast instead. IIRC she took some info right from the Webkinz site, so we could just go there if we want to know anything about it.

Actually I wasnt very interested in the other topics either. As a result, I skipped thru most of it.

Hey, that's great, but we're not "Armchair Gamer", we're "Armchair Arcade", which I would have thought you would have known about since you commented in the other thread about it as well. Also, like our Website, books, etc., we don't just cover classic gaming. We cover computing, technology, etc., from ALL eras, though "retrogaming" tends to be the main thrust of things. Christina's segment actually got a good response, and no, she didn't "copy" off the Webkinz Website, she related her personal experience with it. Next time, though, we'll make a podcast targeted just to what "RJ" likes and maybe then you'll like it enough to mention it in THREE places on AtariAge...

By the way, it's no problem if there are people who don't like it (that's true with anything, obviously, and all constructive criticism is always welcome), but we'll keep on doing it anyway, since we enjoy it. It will get better, but the first episode is the basic template we'll be following, so if you don't like that, you won't like it when it gets "better"...

and no, she didn't "copy" off the Webkinz Website

I never said she copied off of it. Her direct quote from the podcast was "...best described USING THE DESCRIPTION ON THE WEBKINZ WEBSITE WHICH INDICATES that they are stuffed animals that come alive online in the Webkinz world." That sounds to me as if she read it off the Webkinz site. I'm not accusing her of anything, but if she's doing a Webkinz feature, & getting whatever info from the site, why wouldn't the listener(s) do so too?

we'll make a podcast targeted just to what "RJ" likes and maybe then you'll like it enough to mention it in THREE places on AtariAge...

I'm obviously way more likely to listen to a podcast that features subjects I'm into/I'd like. Nothing in that particular episode personally appealed to me, so I said what I said. & I only mentioned it in this topic, nowhere else. The only other words I've written anywhere else re: this podcast was "keep trying".

we'll keep on doing it anyway

Great! I said keep trying. I wish you the best of luck & hope it goes great for you. When I find some segments I enjoy, I'll listen to them. & believe it or not, I'm still subscribed, so back off on the defensive sarcasm.

Edited by RJ

Oh, one more thing: the title "Armchair Arcade" implies video gaming, esp. retrogaming, as arcades are mostly considered a thing of the past. & iTunes' description of the podcast itself is "RETROGAMING & computing".

we're not "Armchair Gamer"

But I'm supposed to tell all my "gaming friends"? I'm confused...

Edited by RJ

It doesn't matter what it implies, it matters what we actually do and clearly state that we do. While we're focused on gaming - with a good portion on vintage gaming - we've never limited ourselves to just that. It's almost impossible to separate "videogames" from computers, technology, etc. That's like saying because this site is called "AtariAge", they can't sell items for the ColecoVision, or TI-99/4a programming can't be discussed in the forums.

Oh, one more thing: the title "Armchair Arcade" implies video gaming, esp. retrogaming, as arcades are mostly considered a thing of the past. & iTunes' description of the podcast itself is "RETROGAMING & computing".

we're not "Armchair Gamer"

But I'm supposed to tell all my "gaming friends"? I'm confused...

Look, you brought up our Armchair Arcade podcast out of nowhere. The poster you were replying to was referring to something called "Armchair Gamer", not "Armchair Arcade". You just assumed he meant us and then talked about the things you didn't like. So, no, we're not "Armchair Gamer", we're "Armchair Arcade".