IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

No, I think he was referring to your podcast. Pretty sure he meant you guys.

It's almost impossible to separate "videogames" from computers, technology, etc.

& yet, I listen to several podcasts that do just that.

Edited by RJ

post-12390-128175614854_thumb.jpg

Okay, I admit, I didn't like the Webkins segment either. It just didn't seem to go with the podcast in general. But that's just my opinion.

New kid on the block:

All Gen Gamers - Started on the 2nd episode. Several youTubers get together & make a podcast. The 2nd episode is all things TurboGrafx. Very informative & detailed, without getting all Retronautsy on your ass. I recommend this one. B+ This is my "pick of the week", if there ever was one.

No, I think he was referring to your podcast. Pretty sure he meant you guys.

It's almost impossible to separate "videogames" from computers, technology, etc.

& yet, I listen to several podcasts that do just that.

Of course you can separate the topic out to anything, but that's not our approach. It never has been. Even our book, Vintage Games (not the title I wanted), covers ALL videogames regardless of era or platform. I can understand you having very narrow interests. A lot of people do and a lot of things cater to that idea. We don't. Sorry.

All-Gen Arca... er, Gamers podcast is pretty good. They're big on the collecting aspect & have a genuine interest in the subject. Im lukewarm to their "I was searching eBay & saw (game name) go for...SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS." (ooh, aahh, gasp)

But they stay energetic & enthusiastic for the (lengthy) duration. Could maybe be broken into segments, but its free-flow works well; they want it to sound like we're eavesdropping on a group of guys just shootin' the sh-t about games. It's natural conversation, not a dry, news-type read like some others.

Time for a brief rundown of what I listen to:

KEEPERS- must-listen 'casts I look forward to:

The Retro League

Drunken Gamers Radio

Radio Free Nintendo

Retronauts

The Retroist

Stuck in the 80s

TIMEPASSERS- just to make work go faster:

Bitmob

Final Score (PS3/360/PC-centric, small short retro segment each show, really not worthwhile)

Racketboy

Armchair Arcade

Edited by RJ

New Retrogaming Roundup is out!

I get a java exploit or something warning from AVG when I visit GNET, but only on their main page for some reason (and it doesn't happen every day, just here and there, it will pop up).  Not sure what it is about (I have had AVG freak out on stuff before and it was nothing).

• 3 weeks later...

A new podcast has entered the ring!

Wasted Seconds - A casual podcast not unlike the MondCoolCast. It lives up to its name, as I couldn't make it through a single inconsistently-numbered episode. Oh well. D-

I really need to update my iTunes more often. I sync on Sunday and sometimes get up to 11 podcasts to listen to the next day at work(or during the weekend when I'm doing yard work).

Edited by S1500

RE: retronauts- yes, Parrish has admitted he doesnt like podcasts but Retronauts will be around in some way/shape/form on 1up.com. IIRC he said they were moving toward video.

I could always tell he really didnt like the show, the way he'd put it & himself down constantly. He'd say "here's another podcast no one listens to about old games no one plays", etc.

But in the 1st part of this ep. when he announced the show's coming end, he got a definite reaction from the audience, which proves there IS an audience that LIKES the show!

Oh yes, AllGen Gamers has GREATLY improved their audio quality. Plus they got a new snazzy but morning-zoo-like opening. They had a very good show this week w/ an interesting, energetic guest. The guy who sounds like he's sitting in the back corner of the room was absent, which was OK by me.

Edited by RJ

Thanks for all the ideas on podcasts guys.....

Just listened to wastedseconds one and I'll pass...Too much drivel!

They gotta keep the Retronauts going! To me, it's one of the best ones out there as far as games go... If the main host doesn't want to do it, see ya! I definitely think the other guys(Kohler & Frank) can keep the show rolling!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bitmob, NEVER have that female guest on AGAIN. I dont even know her name but I could only make it halfway through (an effort in itself) before shutting it off.

Almost makes me want Jenn Frank back on Retronauts.

Edited by RJ

Bitmob, NEVER have that female guest on AGAIN. I dont even know her name but I could only make it halfway through (an effort in itself) before shutting it off.

Almost makes me want Jenn Frank back on Retronauts.

If you're gonna say that about a podcast, now I HAVE to go listen to hear this bitmob ep. :) Think I once subscribed to it, but it didn't meet the retro threshold. Is it mobcast 73? Right after I finish this almost back-to-back released episode of Retrogaming Roundup.

Yes, #73. She's a GamePro staff member & seems to know her stuff but she goes on & on & on & on. She's that "too smart" kind w/ an annoying voice. To me it sounds like she even starts bothering the other panel members. I stopped halfway through & dont plan on going back 'til I listen to all the others I d/loaded.

& yeah, Im right in the middle of Retrogaming Roundup's Top 10 Atari coin-ops. I didnt think Xybots was so weird, it was one of my faves actually. Did you know it started out as a 3D Gauntlet?

Edited by RJ

At the last retro gaming party I went to last weekend, there was a bona-fide Xybots there. A friend and I got to the last level. If you die on the final boss level, you get kicked back 5 levels.

I listened to most of the episode. I didn't find her too annoying(Chad of retroforce go holds that title), but yeah she seemed kinda snobbish. She works for some video game website, which IMO de-credentials you.

Don't bother with the latest episode of AllGengamers. It's so far 99% YouTube fame talk, and nothing so much about video games.

I don't update my iTunes to often(like, weekly) and I get a stampede of podcasts to download, steeming with "what's new on virtual console", "Mega man", "what are you playing now?" heh

Yep, that's the one to avoid

Another podcast almost entered the ring!

Hardcore Gaming 101 - Enjoy downloading them through rapidshare, etc. This one has too many voices competing for each other, trying a lot of obscure Japanese game references(think Retronauts), with too many Final Fantasy references per episode. I can't make it through a whole episode. But, alas, no new episodes are coming. You can skip this one: D-

Hey AllGen #11 took a long time too...

& Im officially signing off of Final Score- this latest ep. was just a chore to listen to. I never did ask them to expand their "Old School" segment like I said I would- that'd just cut into their giggle time. No matter what classic game it is, they always say "lovvvvved this game, played the hell out of it back in the day" but they never spend more than a few mins. on it.

Their main focus is online gaming- that's all they seem to do/talk about. The last time they mentioned the Wii they were reading off new upcoming games & they based their unfavorable opinion on the game's name alone. That is, they didnt like the game just because of its name. Yeah, that's fair.

Well I listened to Retronaut's swansong today and whata disappointing episode! There was really no organziation at all. It seem to me it was a cacaphony of different topics all meshed together! From the last couple of episodes it seems this Jeremy fella really doesn't care anymore and wants it to end asap! I really thing Chris and Frank really can stray off on their own and do start a new podcast. It's sad when you see the *rise and fall* of certain podcast you used to enjoy from the beginning.....