IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Got another poddies award mention. It even made its way into the title! Coast to Coast Pinball Episode 55. The 2nd person in the world that actually likes my gravely voice.

At the end of Nate's show, Nate sometimes plays a soundbyte from something and puts a commentary(like MST3K) on it. Guess what soundbyte he did? Yes, the poddies themselves!

Man, he really wanted that golden poddie award. Love it!

Edited by S1500
  • Like 2

Crude reviews...

1 More Castle - Hosts can be sometimes obnoxious. Light discussion on retro gaming. What saves it is pre-crash talk.. C-

Retro Relapse - Main host sounds like he’s asleep. Almost too laid back. The exact opposite of the Elliot guy on 1 More Castle. C

Cartridge Freaks - A new podcast that I honestly can’t remember anything about.

RetroObscura - The podcast is a bit brief, but talks about lesser-known games, which gives it it’s unique appeal. C+

Pinheadz Podcast - Ignore all the Aussie pinside drama. This podcast has good chemistry between the down-under hosts and good production values. B+

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/pinheadz-pinball-podcast/id782889884?mt=2

Vintage Volts - Great podcast on old school electronics, where pinball & video games naturally bleed into the topic. B+

I saw that Retronauts' latest episode is titled "Pre-Video Arcade Gaming." If they had trouble with the Atari 2600, I'm afraid to listen to this one. It's a pocket ep, so it's only a half hour.

Elliot? Do you mean Eric Bailey? I couldn't take the screeching anymore. Coming from Mr. Excitement over here. :sleep: That and sometimes the Retro Showdown devolves into are not-are too territory.

• Like 1

Elliot? Do you mean Eric Bailey? I couldn't take the screeching anymore. Coming from Mr. Excitement over here. :sleep: That and sometimes the Retro Showdown devolves into are not-are too territory.

Yeah, that guy. I couldn't remember his name, but wow is he loud & obnoxious. I can tolerate some of it(heck, sometimes I'm like that), but eh, little too much.

Really enjoyed the Blues Brothers episode. Was elated to hear Rob wants a 2014 poddie. Heh.

I remember on reddit's GTA5 talking about some car falling from the sky to the ground and commenting "I always loved you", and thankfully someone understood the reference.

Edited by S1500

Listening to Throwback Reviews now. Was looking for the Blues Brothers episode(#1 all time fave), but found the arcade episode instead. One of the panelists is talking about starting an arcade-based podcast. So yeah..

That was Vic Sage, a regular over at the Retroist and also an employee at the Arkadia Retrocade in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I don't think the show has been released yet but I know he's still working on it. There are lots of arcade game-related podcasts at the moment so I'm hoping Vic goes at least a little bit into what it's like to operate a retro arcade in modern times.

• Like 2

Arcade Outsiders- outdoes their prev. ep. w/ a guest who owns an instant arcade after discovering a private collector's personal stash in Southern CA (wonder if SoCal knew about this?) He rented a truck & made 3 trips, grabbed lots of older stuff. Amazing & incredible story.

If you dont subscribe, it's at least worth listening to this ep. alone.

Heard about that on NQ too, just didnt follow up on it. Sounds British & didnt feel in the mood to hear " 'ey, wot wot" this & "cheerio, cor blimey" that.

I just listened to the Zoo Keeper episode. I gave it an honest try, but couldn't follow what they were saying. I've watched tons of the BBC, and still was having a problem understanding things. The audio is rather hollow, which hurts it. Feels like you are just overhearing a conversation between 2 brits. D+

• Like 1

Last night's download: literally 24 hours of new content to listen to. And that's not already 2 episodes I listened to via my celly this week.

Retro Obscura released a fleshed-out episode 3 that talked about some fun obscurities, such as laserdisc games. Revised grade: B+

• Like 1

Yes Ebert I agree- RO's latest ep. is leaps & bounds over his first couple tries. Comfy length (er, hmm), no immature "Mom's not home" cussing, & including Hughes from Retro League didnt hurt either. Let's hope he maintains his present course, he could take home a Poddie nomination.

For the latest batch of 'casts I'm listening to, this is the only one I'm actively enjoying..

1. The 'doge' meme reference

2. "somebody get this freakin' duck away from me" - H*R lives on

3. The quip about Pinball Soul

4. Idea for Burnout 3's crash mode for next Hexa. Non-gamers even enjoy Burnout's crash mode due to the craziness.

5. Yes, the Gottleib collection for pinball has messed up tilt sensitivity. One minor nudge = tilt. At least on the PS2 version. Ruined it.

Let's hear more episodes, chrisbd.

Edited by S1500
  • Like 2

The latest Intellivisionaries, besides an excellent nostalgic Tommy Tallarico interview, has me REALLY interested in Bomb Squad. I wasnt a fan of PS2 Intellivision Lives (or the Intelly itself for that matter) but now Im contemplating buying it on the DS. & now tonight I can listen to Retro Obscura for an opinion/review.

Also, Intellivisionary host Nurmix guests on ANTIC.podcast. Awesomeness readings off the chart!

• Like 1