IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Listening to that last episode of retronauts...wait I realized I fast-fwded through 40 minutes of it. I won't miss it. It came off lately as so dang smug. Oooh you have insights into Japanese RPGs that involve Final Fantasy! Ooh game industry talk! I'm sure you're an icebreaker at parties.

I'm starting to like podcasts that have no affiliations with gaming journalism.

The latest AllGen Gamers episode is terrible. So far, almost no video game discussion. What's there? Interviewing another YouTuber to talk about Youtube fame.

I'm getting tired of this YouTube circle-jerking. "And what's your youtube channel for the listeners?" ad nauseum.

I sub to classic L337 as well(think it's covered somewhere in this podcast). A good straightforward podcast.

Podcasters, let's not lose focus of the original topic of your podcast: video games. A little less "subscribers", "youtube channel", and "final fantasy"(cuz I have to say that) and more game reviews/discussion. Meta level too high!

I agree. Too much youtube BS. Jerry terrifying is the same way- I like his podcast but he's angling to make it big on Youtube or something. Everyone's trying to make a buck on it.

Tell you what- I listen to podcasts AT WORK WHILE IM WORKING OR COMMUTING to pass the time. I cant & WILL NOT watch youtube videos at work. If everyone's going that route, h-ll with 'em, I got a ton of awesome songs on my iPod too.

I think what we may have here is a case of "video kill[ing] the radio star" (video=Youtube of course, & radio being podcasts). Some of us like to listen on a walk/run/jog, in bed at night just before sleep, at work, in the car, etc. I for one already have a full TV viewing schedule & have no desire whatsoever to park in front of the computer & watch these guys' unboxing videos or whatever theyre doing.

Edited by RJ

RJ I completely agree with you. Once the podcasts get a bit youtubey, I switch over to songs when I'm at work, or working on the yard/garage.

With audio podcasts, there's the advantage of less system resources/hard drive space & post-production costs than there is on making a YouTube video. You can sit back with a friend or 2 and just have a good gab about video games, like a decent radio show. Plus, YouTube is getting so dang slow with the lack of real-time streaming bandwidth.

Let's reel it back in a bit.

Have to shout out for Radio FreeNintendo, a great professional podcast that never lets me down. Though not necessarily retro, they often refer to classic Nintendo games & have featured a "let's all play"-type featuring classic Nintendo games. The hosts are genuinely interested in the material, it's always interesting, well-crafted, well-paced, & even has a Brit who adds a bit of sophistication. All this & they even have some time for fun/comedy.

Greg Leahy (the Brit) even took the high road this latest ep. w/ a nice classy memorial to Retronauts.

Edited by RJ

AllGen makes up for past transgressions w/ their Halloween ep (#13) though it becomes horror movie discussion less than an hour in.

Oh, & that game hyper Johnny was thinking of is Tecmo's Deception series which also made a showing on PS2 (Trapt). I had Kagero: Deception II.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for you S1500- just heard on Retro League that Chad Concelmo has a new podcast! 2 or 3 eps. out now, no RSS feed yet. 2 of the RetroforceGO! girls (Collette Bennett & Stella Wong) help out.

Google "best podcast ever Chad".

Ahh they went for the ironic title. I couldn't honestly make it past 30 minutes. A panel with him & 2 giggling girls makes it THREE giggling girls. After the off-topic discussion cruft came through, it started to get drowned out with his loud laughter. Had the expected Mega Man & Final Fantasy name-dropping. F

I have to agree with S1500, Best Podcast Ever is, well, not.  I couldn't really get into it and didn't finish either episode.

One of the problems was I couldn't even find the first episode. Many podcast-hosting websites are so messy with blog entries, links to other content, etc. I would rather just iTunes it, but only if I like it enough to subscribe.

It's at feedthegamer.info or something like that & also on destructoid. iTunes & RSS feed is coming soon. I put it on my DSi to listen. It's usual all-out goofy Chad stuff, hopefully they'll focus soon. I'm not necessarily a Chad fan, I tolerate him but I was a retroforceGO! fan, so I'll keep listening.

Hey I just brought up feedthegamer.info on a whim & my 2 1/2 yr old says "that's a space invader"- he saw me play the game once maybe twice :)

Edited by RJ

I personally like Armchair Arcade Radio, not just because I work with Matt Barton and his Youtube channel.  The biggest thing that I like about AAR is the variety in the subject matter and how wildly different each segment is from the others.  Sure, I am not the biggest fan of some of the segments, but they are delivered in a well versed and interesting style that makes them worth a listen.  I have also learned several things from listening to AAR, such as that whole McDonald's virtual world for kids (never knew they were techno inventive enough to offer anything like that) and the sad state of online game services outside of the US.  My favorite so far though, definitely has to be, the sound card comparison (that really opened my eyes to just what I was missing back in the day by staying console only rather than playing much on PC, though I couldn't afford a decent enough computer anyhow).  

Sure AAR is not for everyone, no one show can be everything to everyone, but it is worth a listen at least once for most people that are into retro gaming.

• Like 1

Just an update to what I have said before. The last few months, my podcast listening has boiled down to a few regulars:

- Nintendo World Report - it really is mostly related to modern Nintendo product, but I enjoy the hosts and their pleasant, unbiased approach.

- NWR - Radio Trivia Podcast Edition - "Guess the game" from three songs and a hint question from each game, lots of fun and I keep all of these on my iPhone to relisten to great video game music

- Retroist Podcast - probably less than 30% of the shows are video game based, but I love all the retro subjects and the style of the host.

- Retrogaming Roundup - I love the show including the intentionally unprofessional intros. People complain about the length, but more is better in my book. The hosts demonstrate that they have respect for one another, so when they start ribbing each other it is so much more tolerable than other shows where you can feel the tension. I can count on each episode getting me started on a new game, project, or product. Theres just a lot of good stuff in there.

• Like 1

Yeah that AllGen ep. was simultaneously intriguing, weird, interesting, & kinda creepy.

I know it's an age-old debate, & the kid's parents' personal decision, but should a 12 yr old be that familiar w/ M-rated FPSs?

Also, The Retroist does a gaming-themed show about Centipede. Last ep. he began using short electonic music effects (bumpers?) within the show as he talks. A bit strange & unnecessary I think. Guess he's using them to separate his ideas, to break up his monologue so he doesnt sound like he's droning. Personally they're throwing me off.

Edited by RJ