IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Found a decent replacement- Player one Podcast by 2 gamer journalists, Chris Johnston & Greg Sewart. Not retro, but there's some nostalgia & it started back around the PS3/Wii launches. Interesting to see how their predictions play out 5 yrs later. (Dragon Quest IX just announced for DS!)

Latest ep. is #227 so they've been weekly regularly since the get-go. Professional quality, minimal swearing, some friendly teasing between hosts, not bad so far (after 7 eps.)

Edited by RJ

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like people are jumping off the GNET train just as fast as they jumped on several months prior.

Aaand that's all that's been happening lately in retro game podcast land. Almost wish there was some new ones out there(without references to Final Fantasy) to listen to.

• 2 weeks later...

GNET is losing shows over their business practices behind the scenes (requiring shows to only be available from the station site for a minimum of 24 hours before even being sent to iTunes let alone be on the shows own site for one). I am not trying to bash them but they are reaping the "rewards" for their choices.

On another note, we are on the verge of releasing the first episode of Video Game Cowboys Radio (and there are absolutely no references to Final Fantasy in it).

Im coming up on ep #60 of Player One Podcast & have just one complaint...Phil's speech patterns. He pronounces "the" & "a" as "thee" & "ay", plus he's got this halting speaking style that bugs me.

"I...I got up this...this morning & went to thee...store for...for a loaf of bread & ay gallon of...of milk & when I...got there thee...thee store was closed."

Ah if I only had time to make my podcast I've been putting off for almost a year now. I have all sorts of great episode ideas. But the plus-side to that is that I've been too busy dating. heh. Girls! It's surely not because I'm outside working on the car because it's snowing again in MN.

• 2 weeks later...

Just starting Player One Podcast #131 (Ys is the GameClub game). I neevr thought Id say this but, despite Phil's odd speech patterns, the show he was absent (getting married) was lifeless & dull. He really adds a needed side of humor to the show.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear, oh dear.

So I fire up winamp at work to look for podcasts. Found a few:

"RPG Backtrack" - A podcast talking about lesser-known RPGs. Sadly, 40% of the episodes I found are about my absolute FAVORITE retro gaming podcast topic: Final Fantasy! Because it was such a lesser-known RPG. *sigh*. Looking at the episode descriptions, they never directly tell you what RPG they are going to talk about. They smatter the descriptions with all sorts of internal references trying to be funny, but sounding like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory on a RenFair kick. Rating pending.

"C64 Walkabout Podcast" - Sadly, I think this one's stillborn. Too bad since their episode about Temple of Apshai it's 100 times better than RPG Backtrack could do. Real good podcast. Nice host, background music, actually informs the listener what the topic is about. B+

Took me a couple months but Im finally up to date on Player One podcast. 5 nights a week, around 6 eps. a night, interspersed w/ various others.

A few shows back I concluded Phil gets nerdier & nerdier every week. Some of his celeb impressions are ok though.

I hate to put in a shameless plug but if anyone is interested, I did a series of 3 podcasts regarding some classic 8-bit games that my friends and I played back in the day. Its kind of an irreverant group and my friend Shaun's podcasts are not gamer oriented. He just does whatever topic comes into his head but if you're interested go here:

Pixel Hindsights

Just an update on my current listening habits:

#7 - Retronauts (Live) - Back on the list, barely. The new format isn't really better, but I think the live callers remind Jeremy that he has an audience that might actually care about what they are talking about. I cringed listening to the first episode, imagining how bad his rappoire with the callers might be, but so far, it is pretty ok.

#6 - Retro League - You know, this podcast just isnt all that great, but...I like the hosts as they are pleasant and unassuming, and the subject matter is good.

#5 - Retrobits - I took it off my list before due to inactivity, but Earl has an episode out and promises a resurgence.

#4 - Nintendo World Report - it really is mostly related to modern Nintendo product, but I enjoy the hosts and their pleasant, unbiased approach.

#3 - NWR - Radio Trivia Podcast Edition - "Guess the game" from three songs and a hint question from each game, lots of fun and I keep all of these on my iPhone to relisten to great video game music

#2 - Retroist Podcast - probably less than 30% of the shows are video game based, but I love all the retro subjects and the style of the host. Loved the recent Dig Dug episode.

#1 - Retrogaming Roundup - Still going strong. The show is a little less without SoCal's Mike'd Up segment and a little better without extended "British Hour". I know SoCal is doing the "Big Game Hunter" videos, but that doesn't do me much good during my commute.

Just an update on my current listening habits:

#7 - Retronauts (Live) - Back on the list, barely. The new format isn't really better, but I think the live callers remind Jeremy that he has an audience that might actually care about what they are talking about. I cringed listening to the first episode, imagining how bad his rappoire with the callers might be, but so far, it is pretty ok.

#5 - Retrobits - I took it off my list before due to inactivity, but Earl has an episode out and promises a resurgence.

#2 - Retroist Podcast - probably less than 30% of the shows are video game based, but I love all the retro subjects and the style of the host. Loved the recent Dig Dug episode.

#1 - Retrogaming Roundup - Still going strong. The show is a little less without SoCal's Mike'd Up segment and a little better without extended "British Hour". I know SoCal is doing the "Big Game Hunter" videos, but that doesn't do me much good during my commute.

7) I still have mixed feelings about Retronauts. They do act as if the majority of their callers are idiots. From what I've heard so far, they aren't. But they still have that air of superiority. Still too much Final Fantasy talk.

5) I wish they would come out with more episodes. It's a geeky delight. However, no more episodes that are interviews. They falter, compared to Earl's excitement over something like a Commodore 64 print buffer that was just re-released.

2) I'd say it's more than 30%. He has done a LOT of videogame centric episodes, and they are a delight to listen to.

1) always strong. The pinball episode was good, but the top 10 ran too long. No love for Star Trek:TNG pinball? I don't like the British Hour at all. Mic'd Up is always good(as well as the parent youtube Big Game Hunter), or am I getting that confused?

I tried listening to some other podcasts I normally don't listen to, and ALL of them just had to bring up Final Fantasy. Jeesh!

The latest Retronauts live(10 or 11, I forgot) talked about something other than Final Fantasy. They talked about the ColecoVision. Worth listening to.

Glad you posted that; episode 9 was 100% Final Fantasy, so they were about to get the boot from my list. They're still on two strikes.

Well no podcasts came to me so I went looking for them. I discovered if you look thru the episode listings, sometimes you'll find they do a "retro" or lookback show, usu. 5 or 10 yrs back. ALso, if you go back to early enough shows, like the first few episodes, you can catch the tail end of the last-gen & maybe hear some PS2/XB/GC stuff.

Anyhoo, I got a few of these:

Starlight Gaming

Bleeding Pixels

Digital Cowboys (Activision history episode)

Retro Gamers

Videogamer.com

Oh yeah, for any of Jerry Terrifying's listeners, latest ep. is a new angle on his show, shorter w/ more focus on current gaming news, as the shownotes state. Just like so many others out there. 1st 30 min. is a waste. I'm giving it a few more chances before hitting "unsubscribe".

Edited by RJ

OK, you see those podcasts I have listed above? Don't bother.

Of the bunch, Digital Cowboys was the most interesting/professional. I still have a few Bleeding Pixels to hear, but the 1st didnt really grab me.

Oh yeah, STAY AWAY from Retro Gamers (it's not British-magazine-related) unless you have a HIGH listening tolerance- the main host has both a major stutter AND a Fudd-esque speech impediment. Wow, what were they thinking?

+ points to him for trying, maybe it's supposed to be therapeutic or something, but dont you want to be as "listenable" as possible? Sorry I cant handle that for nearly 2 hrs.

Edited by RJ

Finished those remaining Bleeding Pixels- that is, listened until I was bored silly. They were literally sleep-inducing. I fell asleep to one ep. & woke up a half-hr into it.

I really scraped the bottom of the barrel this time around- better stick to the usual half-dozen I subscribe to.

OK, you see those podcasts I have listed above? Don't bother.

Of the bunch, Digital Cowboys was the most interesting/professional. I still have a few Bleeding Pixels to hear, but the 1st didnt really grab me.

Oh yeah, STAY AWAY from Retro Gamers (it's not British-magazine-related) unless you have a HIGH listening tolerance- the main host has both a major stutter AND a Fudd-esque speech impediment. Wow, what were they thinking?

+ points to him for trying, maybe it's supposed to be therapeutic or something, but dont you want to be as "listenable" as possible? Sorry I cant handle that for nearly 2 hrs.

What's the URL to Retro Gamers to listen to their old episodes? I swore I listened to them several years ago(heck, the name would show up on my radar) and thought the host sounded like Homestar Runner. He sounds like Elmer Fudd too.

I got them by digging into iTunes (which IIRC you dont use to listen?) but from what I recall what Homestar Runner sounds like yes thats probably them- but I woldnt waste time searching for them. I got about 5 min into their Resident Evil show when I determined the main host sounded like that & I simply couldnt continue.

IIRC they didnt do many more.

EDIT: Looking back they have 10 episodes, the newest dated Nov 2 2010. In their description they state they "intend to break the mold" well, they sure did that- Ive never heard anything like it.

Edited by RJ

• 4 weeks later...

Heard all ImplantGamer shows last night. It has actual good retro content (even discussing Jaguar games w/out contempt or disdain!) They meet all criteria for an ideal podcast- I cant think of anything they should change or work on. Very enjoyable, keep up the great work!

Oh, leave the modern gaming/E3 crap to all the other shows- believe me, there's no shortage of them. Retro podcast listeners likely dont want to hear that junk anyway.

I'm starting to see some podcasts talk more about YouTube than actually video games. Getting too meta! Who cares how many subscribers you have!?!

And yes RJ, I found the retro gaming podcast you wouldn't divulge. Wow this is worse than I remembered it. Oddly enough, it wasn't the guy I was thinking of that sounded like Homestar Runner. That was someone else, shudder to think.

Yeah I forgot to say ImplantGamers does their share of YouTube talk too. I cant watch YouTube while commuting or at work. I will ALWAYS choose podcasts over YouTube.

& what didnt I divulge? The show is Retro Gamers, found it on iTunes. Did you need a direct link?

• 1 month later...