IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Found another podcast. This one's from across the pond:

http://1hourmonthlypodcastshow.co.uk/

I listened to the majority of the episodes on a roadtrip to 7 Mile Fair. Not a bad podcast. Some of their earlier podcasts were moreso retroist(pop culture, etc) than about video games. Latest episode is what the Retro Gamer Magazine podcast should have been.

And if it wasn't so bleepin' hot, I'd try a half-assed podcast of my own.

July Update:

#7 - Retronauts are officially fired - cant take em anymore. I am replacing them on the list with......

Retrocomputing Rountable - Earl Evans from Retrobits (also fired below) and two other guys (one from the 1 Mhz Apple Podcast) talk about retro computers. It's no Retrobits but an OK substitute.

#6 - Retro League - Still just kinda OK not exciting, but at least not annoying.

#5 - Retrobits is fired for No-call No-show and replaced by.....

Gameroom Junkies - two guys talk about Pinballs and arcades. Lots of interview with collectors. They seem to ask everyone the same questions, but they are GREAT questions. Enjoying it a lot!

#4 - Nintendo World Report - it really is mostly related to modern Nintendo product, but I enjoy the hosts and their pleasant, unbiased approach. - they did a great job with the E3 coverage and werent afraid to hold the Big N's feet to the fire where warranted.

#3 - NWR - Radio Trivia Podcast Edition - "Guess the game" from three songs and a hint question from each game, lots of fun and I keep all of these on my iPhone to relisten to great video game music

#2 - Retroist Podcast - Subject matter of the recent shows hasn't been very interesting to me and the shows were still great!!

#1 - Retrogaming Roundup - The last episode was great, several really good interviews.

I'll have to give gameroom junkies a try, since there's so little arcade game talk. Pinball? I'm in. BTW, there's a pinball podcast out there, and it is insanely boring.

Yeah retronauts has basically devolved into self-references and endless Final Fantasy worship.

I wish there was some scoreboard I could have to show what's in & out for podcasts.

So when is there going to be an AtariAge podcast that we can tear to shreds? heh.

Well you guys all have to remember Jeremy Parrish never seemed to want to host a podcast in the 1st place, with all his self-deprication & "oh, no one wants to hear this anyway" attitude. & his new "hello listener, who are you & what do you want?" gist for the "new" version isnt exactly helping either.

I listen to pretty much everything Chuck listed above- have to give Gameroom Junkies a try tonight.

Oh BTW did anyone catch my listener email to Retro League on #89? I wrote in that ROb's Assault game discussion in #88 got cut off, & further explained this awesome hidden gem. He said his audio cut out, but actually Hugue butted in abruptly & said they had to do email.

EDIT: GR Junkies #3-6 wouldnt download for me...will re-subs. & try again when I have more time.

Edited by RJ

Good things about "Well Versed in the Classics" over on digitpress. Up to ep #4, includes PC coverage.

Oh hell no did you not just mention a podcast from digitpress and NOT give the URL.

http://itunes.apple.com/bw/podcast/well-versed-in-the-classics/id433535894

Hells yeah.

Gonna subscribe instantly & listen to them all!

C'mon AtariAge, where's our podcast? I want a 3-hour podcast about polishing Combat cartridges!

Well..it's not FROM digitpress, I simply saw someone over there posted that he hosts a 'cast.

You are right. Darn. Yeah when I heard the lack of familiarity with all things before Final Fantasy, yep it wasn't digitpress.

Digital Press is doing a podcast, audio and video. I don't think it's on iTunes though.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155351

Downloading first episode right now. I hope it fares a lot better than "Well Versed in...".

Well Versed In seems like a lot of what I have heard before on retro gaming podcasts. Too much Final Fantasy Talk. Won't unsubscribe(Jerry Terrifying's podcast however...), but will hope for more. C-

• 3 weeks later...

Well for fans of Player One podcast, ep. 250 was their last. Sounds like real life is interfering soon. I thought it was worthwhile, professional & funny, & each show Phil just got nerdier & nerdier. One less well-done podcast to listen to. :(

& Classic L337 merged w/ Gooch & the DB to become one show. I subscribed to but felt indifferent of L337, never heard Gooch & DB show.

Edited by RJ

Yeah I heard about the merger too, right on their podcast. Will this mean it will have less classic content?

I had to unsubscribe from Jerry Terrifying's podcast. RetroKaiser's constant Australian screaming & yelling & childish antics ruined it. It just did. He should get his own podcast with that screamer from RetroforceGO!

I have subscribed to the Silverball podcast. A great pinball/arcade game show. There was some other pinball podcast out there that just bored me to tears("Special guest....special guest..."). This one didn't. Fun to listen to. B+

Shouldn't it be time for another retrogaming roundup?

You can tell Jerry Terrifying gets annoyed w/ Kaiser too- he's chastised him on the show in a friendly kinda way. I guess he recruited some disciples/helpers for the 'cast. Sometimes I get a mondocool TV downloaded but when I FFWD thru boring parts, the video advances but the audio doesnt so it gets all out of sync & unwatchable. I dont know why I stick w/ JT's show, theres very little interesting content to me. I like when he used to discuss an old game he'd been playing, theres really none of that classic talk anymore.

& I'll give ClassicL337 a few more chances before unsubs. As S1500 said, I bet there'll be less classic talk.

Hmmm- d/loading my usual podcast load, I see Player One is "back" w/ ep. #251. If it was a joke, it fooled me.

Radio Free nintendo just didnt do it for me this time. I like how the show is now divvied into segments (you can see it on the playbar display) so you can REW/FFWD at will to the different segments- w/ a little picture of the topic too! Too bad nothing seemed interesting to me this week.

Also, loving the Silverball podcast. I too am becoming more interested in stories of arcade game/warehouse raids. Not so much the restoration/repair side of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Classic L337(still getting disagreements for merging with G &DB) did an episode IIRC for the guy who was involved with Madden 2012. I could not think of anything I would want to listen to any less. Skipped that one. Oh dear.

One of the guys is leaving 1Hourmonthlypodcastshow.co.uk. Might be the last podcast from them.

Ooooh, is that the latest L337 show? Just d/l'ed it. Thanks for the warning.

New Retrogaming Roundup is here! What happened to Atar-rewind every other episode???

Good question. Eh, there's always next month. There's only so much content you can put into a 6 hour episode. heh

I tried that Player One podcast. Uh, do they actually talk about video games in the episode? I don't want to hear about your family, etc. I gave up 20 minutes into it when I realized there was no video game discussion. F

OK if you want to give them another chance is to go waaaay back into the old episodes (thyve been going strong for 5 yrs). They discuss the 360 & Wii launches & lots of Guitar Hero talk for the 1st few eps.- WAY before 2 of the hosts get married/have kids. They also do some retrospective shows of older consoles, & some of the most interesteing are when they have guests/friends that recall the glory days of EGM magazine. I went back & took most of this summer catching up, sometimes listening to 7 shows a night at work.

Really the only reason I still listen (I was prepared to quit them at #250 like they jokingly said they would) is because I've been a listener so long. That, & something about Phil & his getting nerdier & nerdier w/ every show keeps me listening.

But yeah, I agree, their gaming talk has fallen by the wayside since they've started having, uh...lives.

RetroGaming Radio is back.

Yay! I enjoy the site redesign where it doesn't have the hosts face on the page. It looks weird to me.

Glad to see the Nintendo DS podcast or whatever the heck it is gone, and this being back instead.

This is major news. Big freakin' news!

I was just about to ask on here what Shane has been up to lately...

WARNING: the dreadful Kat Bailey is a guest on Retronauts #20- Starfox (which I dont care for anyway). Wow I just cant stand her. & I dont mind more girls voices.

Does Gameroom Junkies take a LONG time to d/l for everyone else too?

Edited by RJ