IGNORED

Centipede Arcade (5200) XEX File <Trakball Support> By Atlantis Games Group

Kjmann

We are offering the Cart version at the cost of making the cart only (I'm Sure there are some collectors who will want that). Here is the XEX File for anyone who wants it. all glitches fixed.

Press Control + T To Enable trakball mode. Keyboard start button must be used to begin the game in two player mode. Fire button or start can be used to start the game in one player mode.

Warning: Trakball mode does not work well with the Emulator.

Edited by kjmann
  • Like 1

We are offering the Cart version at the cost of making the cart only (I'm Sure there are some collectors who will want that). Here is the XEX File for anyone who wants it. all glitches fixed.

Press Control + T To Enable trakball mode. Keyboard start button must be used to begin the game in two player mode. Fire button or start can be used to start the game in one player mode.

Hi Sal

Thanks for that. Think I'll still pick up a cart though. As much as I love my SIO2USB and SIO2PC I still love real carts and disks too. :)

Thanks for uploading that. This one moves even smoother than the one tep392 uploaded (and no corruption). Is there any chance of a version with trackball mode as default? (I assume not, but I thought I'd ask :))

I noticed that the score font is "fancier" on this one. Were there two versions of 5200 Centipede?

Thanks for the Complement. No there was only one version of Centipede for the 5200. We took that font from a prototype of the old 8-bit centipede we found. we thought it was cool, so we used it. =)

We decided to leave joystick as the default because more people have joysticks than trakballs. =)

Glad you like it.

if you want it on a cart video61 is carrying them right now for $19.95 with this glossy label that I did for it. =)

(The Hi Res Version is on my computer here at home)

PS. This version works on 800 and XL/XE OS and requires 48k to run.

The cart version Will run on all systems and only requires 16k.

Edited by kjmann

Nice label! I'd buy a cart for sure if I didn't already have my SDrive. I'm trying to get away from using carts now. Plugging and unplugging them is causing wear on my 800XL. (sometimes I have to pull up on the motherboard to turn on)

I know it makes sense to put joystick as default, but I was hoping for another version with trackball as default - for people who don't like to press Control-T every time (and it should be an easy change). Oh well. One can dream. ;)

Played it on the last ABBUC RENO meeting in Kiel, Germany. And I must admit it works great. Now what about hacking Crystal Castles?

Ah yes, and if you ever decide to do a good port of Marble Madness with Trackball support - I'd buy it!

Thorsten

Great work, played this last night and response is good :)

1 minor thing I noticed your version doesn't return to the game options selection screen if you press start etc. One thing that's novel is you can toggle player 2 on (select) in mid go even with 1 life left on player 1!

Great work, played this last night and response is good :)

1 minor thing I noticed your version doesn't return to the game options selection screen if you press start etc. One thing that's novel is you can toggle player 2 on (select) in mid go even with 1 life left on player 1!

We Took Those out due to problems with the code. Those were causing some problems. such as the returning to the game options screen thing. we noticed with this that when it went back to the options screen you could make your selections just fine, but when you start the game again, you would start with zero lives available.

the selecting number of players in mid game thing was already there. we didn't do that one. =)

In my opinion, A lot of these little bugs are due mostly to the The minor differences between the 5200 vs. the 8-bit and how the code reacts to the slightly different hardware.

Oh sure make me go find my trackball... :-) Last time i saw the thing it was falling on my head in my storage space.

Seriously though, looking forward to trying this out.

Steve

Heh - I know *exactly* where mine is. It's in the bottom crate at the back of the huge stack of Atari kit sitting in my study. Thing is I know it'll take me an hour to work down to it :(

Thank you so very much for that!

I wish it was possible to have a version of this using joystick 2 as the default single player, trackball mode as default.

Let me explain:

Centipede is the only game I play with the trackball. All my other games are played with the joystick. So I always have to unplug the joystick and plug in the trackball... then unplug the trackball and plug in the joystick... and so on. It's a bit of a pain in the ass. Also, the trackball, when in trackball mode screws up the Sdrive menu - causing the cursor to go all over the damn place. So if I have the trackball plugged in, I have to switch from trackball mode back to joystick mode and back again later. Then, in Centipede, I have to hold Control-T - which half the time doesn't work and I have to repeat it.

If Centipede would use joystick 2 for single player (trackball mode default), I could leave both my trackball and joystick plugged in, I would have no problem with the Sdrive menu and not worry about Control-T working. It would be amazingly great.

I would pay for a file version of that.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Got rid of the old "curly-q" font and replaced it with a Namco font. Been wanting to do that for a while now. I also changed a couple pixels on the spider bonus point numbers, and fixed the eyes on the centipede heads in the score area. I might add a title screen at some point, and I'll probably post a ROM version later too.

Thanks to peteym5 for the adding the trackball support...

[Edit: I could probably hack the 5200 version too.]

Centipede Arcade (Namco Font) 9-13.xex

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 12

Got rid of the old "curly-q" font and replaced it with a Namco font. Been wanting to do that for a while now. I also changed a couple pixels on the spider bonus point numbers, and fixed the eyes on the centipede heads in the score area. I might add a title screen at some point, and I'll probably post a ROM version later too.

attachicon.gifCentipede Arcade (Namco Font) 9-13.xex

I want to thank you for this! Great contribution. I have to admit I am more a Millipede fan than Centipede, but this one is pretty cool too!

I want to thank you for this! Great contribution. I have to admit I am more a Millipede fan than Centipede, but this one is pretty cool too!

I'm more of a Millipede fan too, but I play this every so often. Millipede is a lot easier -- with all the extra guys you can get by scoring. This Centipede is a tough game, in fact a little too tough with that annoying spider. But you can get better over time. I can actually finally score over 20K points on a regular basis now, after having to test the hack out. It's a nice conversion of the arcade game, and better -- at least graphically -- than the 8-bit version.

attachicon.gifCentipede Arcade (Namco Font) 9-13.xex

There is a small bug btw.

If you press START during the game, the score resets to zero as expected but the 'lives left' are decreased by one.

There is a small bug btw.

If you press START during the game, the score resets to zero as expected but the 'lives left' are decreased by one.

You're right, I didn't notice that before, and I see it occurs in both the XEX and ROM version (XL/XE only, as the 5200 version is from the original cartridge, which is fine).

Pete, any information on this bug; was it introduced or existing in the version you used? I don't see it in my 5200 conversion version. In that one it actually ends the current game when you hit start. Then you need to hit start again to begin a new game.

Edited by MrFish