IGNORED

Atari systems in MESS

Airwolf

Can't tell you much, but I have noticed that 5200 emulation seems to be an enigma! MESS seems to be the best as far as ease of usability, but only about 60% of the games run correctly. Other emulators such as VSS, Atari 800Win, etc. run more games but are very quirky. I never understood why other platforms such as Super Nintendo, Gameboy, Atari 2600 are almost perfect, yet the 5200 is at best, mediocre (nothing personal to all you emulator programmers out there!)

The 7800 btw on Mess is great. Some games like Donkey Kong, and DK Jr don't run, but overall it's fine......

yes i'm talking about 0.61.1 although i don't know which version the 2 games actually started working in. i've had no problems with 0.61.1 and i don't use it's own gui, i prefer a different one so i didn't even miss the favourites category :)

heres some pics of the 2 games runnin

post-175-1035462855_thumb.png

Hi all,

As far as MESS .611 is concerned, I still can't get my HotRod SE or my SNES pad (through DirectPad Pro) to work with the 5200 emulation.

I realize the controller setup was changed in .61 (no direct HotRod support) but I had problems even then.

Am I forgetting to setup something once I'm in 5200 emulation (tab key)? I have tried to set the controls in a few games but they don't seem to work.

My SNES pad works great for 7800 emulation though.

Thanks all.

@jetset516

well you won't have much luck with 7800 roms under mame ;)

but as for mess 0.56 yes that probably is why dk and dkjr aren't running, so why not use mess 0.61.1? if you are having problems with it then say what problems you are having and i'll try and help.

@landsmarra

i'm not sure why you would have problems with 5200 input and not 7800 input, if your controller works for one system in mess then i would have thought it would work for all systems?

perhaps deleting your a5200.cfg would help

Oops, I did say Mame huh?!?!?!

Well, I tried Mess 0.61.1 and dk/dkjr work fine for the 7800.

BUT.....now my 5200 emulation is screwed. :sad: Some games, like PacMan, Galaxian, Pitfall2 and others aren't right. The graphics are all screwy and the games won't start.....

Also, what gui/frontend are you using for mess? Maybe Ill give it a try!

Hey, thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

hmm your right, there are quite a few 5200 games thats now screwed :( well you can always run more than 1 copy of mess, use 0.61.1 for 7800 and 0.56 for 5200.

im just using a universal frontend, it's not been specifically written for mess, it hasn't been updated for a while and its got its fair share of bugs but i still think it's the best frontend there is and i use it for all the emulators i use.

http://1-up.retrogames.com

Hey guys, that's funny you mention using more than one version of the same emu due to compatibility issues with later releases.

I am doing the same thing with MAME. For some reason, Tempest stopped working in the .61 release (some error message about video card support) but it works in .60. So I keep both just for Tempest. Dunno if any other games got screwed.

@jetset516

glad to be of help m8, if you have any problems with 1-up let me know

@landsmarra

i'm not sure why you are having problems with tempest in mame 0.61 as it works fine for me, perhaps you should try some other vector games like asteroids or star wars and see if you get the same error message

@belgarath

Hey man, two things. First, I got Tempest to work in MAME .61, thanks.

Second, I tried your suggestion to delete the 5200.cfg in file MESS .611 but I still can't get my HotRod or my SNES pad (through DirectPad Pro) to work! Neither do anything at all. Even the keyboard control is wacked.

Anyone else having controller problems with 5200 emulation in MESS? Should I use another emulator? It seems numerous 5200 ROMs don't function well or at all. BTW, any suggestion which emu will run a merged Bounty Bob ROM? I realize the bankswitching is the trick there.

Thanks again.

@landsmarra

i'm glad you got tempest working in mame.

but as for mess i'm at a loss, there were problems with 5200 controls in mess 0.61 because it was set to emulate the wrong controller and everything was screwed up, it was fixed in 0.61.1 though and i'm really baffled why you are having problems, but there are a lot of 5200 games that aren't working in mess atm so it's probably best to use VSS.

as for bounty bob i don't think any emulator can run it yet :(