IGNORED

Programming subgroup for the TI-99/4A

retroclouds

Over at the TI yahoo list group, we've been talking about requesting a TI-99/4A programming subgroup at atariage.

With the increasing interest in TI-99/4A homebrew games, we think this is the right time to take it to the next level :D

So, if you have an interest in TI-99/4A game programming (Assembler, Basic/Ext. Basic, C, Forth, ...),

let us know and perhaps we can get our own spot right here at atariage ;)

retroclouds

• Like 2

Over at the TI yahoo list group, we've been talking about requesting a TI-99/4A programming subgroup at atariage.

With the increasing interest in TI-99/4A homebrew games, we think this is the right time to take it to the next level :D

So, if you have an interest in TI-99/4A game programming (Assembler, Basic/Ext. Basic, C, Forth, ...),

let us know and perhaps we can get our own spot right here at atariage ;)

retroclouds

You mean there is a C compiler for the TMS9900 CPU?

I've also been working on a GCC port - it's partially working, in that my first test program built and runs, but many other things still crash or generate incorrect code. Mostly, I just don't have a lot of free time for it. If anyone has any knowledge of GCC porting, I'd welcome the assistance. I have a forum where I discuss the code here: http://harmlesslion.com/hl4m/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=324

It's been a few years since I touched it though. :)

I'd love to see such a forum, as a very rusty Extended BASIC programmer who hopes to eventually learn assembly and port his games to other platforms. While the TI 99/4A listserv is awesome, the focus there tends to be more on hardware projects, and I also prefer the forum format to the email list. And I'd love to see ideas cross-pollinating between programmers on different platforms... the TI community has always seemed a little isolated in that department, and shared ideas can only help everyone.

One more in the "yes, please!" column here! :)

Keith

I too would love to see such a forum. I dabbled in TMS9900 back in the day and wrote several Extended Basic programs. Still have my TI hooked up and would peer into the group often - if not just to catch up and maybe get back into programming. The TI-99 is a VERY compelling little computer to program and work with. Extremely user friendly. Heck, even the battery is still good after all these years on my Mini-Memory cartridge! lol

I'm excited to hear about people getting back into coding for this wonderful machine. I just hope that not everything will be reliant on 32k+ memory and disk drives. I gave that stuff away years ago. Everybody has a cassette interface and most have Mini-Memory I would think though. And oh yeah, that doo-dad that allows to to transfer files via SD card that has memory built in. Hmm... maybe it's time to invest in one of those. Anyone have one they'd like to sell?

I'm interested, too. I'm getting back into working with the TI after being away from it for almost 20 years, and I'm finding it fascinating what people are doing with their old consoles. And it's been inspiring me to relearn everything I've forgotten about programming, so I can maybe finish some of the projects I conceived all those years ago.

I too would love to see such a forum. I dabbled in TMS9900 back in the day and wrote several Extended Basic programs. Still have my TI hooked up and would peer into the group often - if not just to catch up and maybe get back into programming. The TI-99 is a VERY compelling little computer to program and work with. Extremely user friendly. Heck, even the battery is still good after all these years on my Mini-Memory cartridge! lol

I'm excited to hear about people getting back into coding for this wonderful machine. I just hope that not everything will be reliant on 32k+ memory and disk drives. I gave that stuff away years ago. Everybody has a cassette interface and most have Mini-Memory I would think though. And oh yeah, that doo-dad that allows to to transfer files via SD card that has memory built in. Hmm... maybe it's time to invest in one of those. Anyone have one they'd like to sell?

Actually, it seems the "stock" TI people program for is indeed the 32K expanded system with disk drive and Extended BASIC. It's much more versatile and opens up the user to a world of XB software written in the 80's and 90's, without the long load times of cassette. Of course, with emulators, it's all academic anyway as most people can just use their 'virtual' drive.

I'm Luddite enough to program on my stock system, but I do have a 3.5" drive installed. I haven't yet tried it, but there's PC software (recently updated to run under all newer Windows versions) that will allow the PC to read/write TI disks. I'm hoping to install it on my wife's older PC this weekend and give it a whirl; that'll be the ultimate for getting stuff from the interwebs to the 99/4A machine. The compact flash card for the 99/4A also includes the 32K memory expansion built in, so a lot of people are moving all their stuff from floppies to the CF drive and then disconnecting their bulky expansion boxes entirely, just using the CF like a big hard drive. (If I could ever score one of the CF devices when they go on ebay before they vanish, I'll probably do the same).

My programming efforts right now are in Extended BASIC, because I'm just now getting back into programming at all after a long absence. Once I finish up a couple of my pet projects, though, my plan is to use them as 'guinea pigs' to learn to convert them to assembly. One of my games, in particular, is probably gonna have speed issues in BASIC, and will likely run a lot better once it's faster.

Hey, looks like Al created a subgroup after all! Thank you Al :)

That's right! Big thanks goes to Albert :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

To celebrate this special occasion I've just started a small game programming competition :)

Check out

http://www.atariage.com/forums/forum/119-ti-994a-programming/

retroclouds