IGNORED

Crap Game Competition?

Willsy

Someone explain to me why you would write a game knowing you can't distribute it??

Well, if one person could port it to the TI, then someone else can too. If we can't the existing one, just make port that we can play. I liked the arcade game but I don't know the details of all the levels and such. Does anyone have a few links for "all things Tutankham"?

Matthew

I considered that for a moment as well. But knowing you have to invest a lot of time until you get something that is equally as good as the colecovision Tutankham, I prefer to pick another game. The thing is that the prototype can't be distributed for now. But you don't know how it will look like in perhaps 2 or 3 years.

My candidates are:

* Time Pilot (In Progress. first early prototype working)

* Donkey Kong Jr. (Prototype started)

* Bump 'n Jump

Where Donkey Kong Jr is easier to port and I hope to get it finished before Time Pilot. But we are talking end of 2010 early 2011.

retroclouds

• 4 weeks later...

I respectfully submit:

Take your choice, but I think Karate sucks pretty well.

http://99er.net/umangames.html

He he, I would think only _new_ entries count. Not much “crap” about those mockups/screenshots (aka they look good). Also, I think the download link for umangame.dsk is broken. 99er.net has its share of broken links these days.

:)

That's nice of you to say. Just try playing them, especially Karate... They are bad games, but... Games none the less.

umangame.zipHere's the disk image...

I respectfully submit:

Take your choice, but I think Karate sucks pretty well.

http://99er.net/umangames.html

He he, I would think only _new_ entries count. Not much “crap” about those mockups/screenshots (aka they look good). Also, I think the download link for umangame.dsk is broken. 99er.net has its share of broken links these days.

:)

OK, here's my submission for this competition. I'm not taking part in the "normal" competition because that would require too much work, but I've put together a little crap game for you.

It's an Extended Basic program called "Map Craze". Your mission is to guide a mouse through a maze, but you will face some unexpected difficulties doing so. Your goal is the arrow on the right.

Oh, and the program has been tested on the "real thing"... the speech output is optimized for the original TI-99 speech synthesizer, not for emulators (though you will probably hear some speech output there too).

I've attached the program as a zipped program file (as pulled out of the disk image by TI99Dir). I hope you know what to do with this... if you need a different file format, please tell me so!

To run this program you will need the Extended Basic cartridge (either emulated or the real thing). The speech synthesizer is supported, but optional.

MAPCRAZE.zip

Edited by Kurt_Woloch

Just tried your game in classic99.

mapcraze.PNG

Somehow I get some weird effects. I can move the mouse over the maze without bumping into the walls.

It means I can just move to the right (is a bit complicated as the controls are reversed, joystick emulation?).

Anyway, when I get to the exit speech starts but then a "INCORRECT SUBPROGRAM IN 590" happens.

I presume that this could be an issue with classic99 in combination with the "speech" output.

That is weird though. Also attempted to try it in win994a but failed because I couldn't add it to a disk image.

Again, a reason to try it on the bare metal in the next few days, will let you know ;)

Why are you asking ridiculous questions? The game is supposed to be crap :)

Just tried your game in classic99.

mapcraze.PNG

Somehow I get some weird effects. I can move the mouse over the maze without bumping into the walls.

It means I can just move to the right (is a bit complicated as the controls are reversed, joystick emulation?).

Anyway, when I get to the exit speech starts but then a "INCORRECT SUBPROGRAM IN 590" happens.

I presume that this could be an issue with classic99 in combination with the "speech" output.

That is weird though. Also attempted to try it in win994a but failed because I couldn't add it to a disk image.

Again, a reason to try it on the bare metal in the next few days, will let you know ;)

You know, that actually looks pretty sharp! :) Maybe TOO sharp for a crap game! :) I like the mouse!

I gave it a run here... the joystick axes are definately crossed and no collision detection - this is clearly the way it's coded! :) I hear the speech (unbelievable!), and then the Incorrect Subprogram in 590... which is ALSO clearly part of the .... you bugger!! ;)

Okay, you get the crap points back! :lol:

I couldn't resist. I know this contest isn't up yet.. but here's my crap game. ;)

post-12959-126233767021_thumb.jpg

The ZIP file includes both the program (Extended BASIC file in TIFILES format) and the text listing.

The game comes up, and shows both your hand, and the computer's hand, over a button, with a light in the middle. When the light lights up, hit your button before the computer does by pressing space bar. The game resets after updating the score. ;)

CrapGameTursi.zip

Edited by Tursi

I couldn't resist. I know this contest isn't up yet.. but here's my crap game. ;)

post-12959-126233767021_thumb.jpg

The ZIP file includes both the program (Extended BASIC file in TIFILES format) and the text listing.

The game comes up, and shows both your hand, and the computer's hand, over a button, with a light in the middle. When the light lights up, hit your button before the computer does by pressing space bar. The game resets after updating the score. ;)

CrapGameTursi.zip

Excellent crap grame :thumbsup: ... and not that easy, let me tell you. :D

OK, you got me. :twisted: Of course all the errors and strange things are introduced intentionally... it should be a crap game, right?

Even the mouse is a bit sloppily drawn and converted... some pixels are off to the original drawing, and in fact even the original drawing is sloppy so you can't quite make out where some of the pixels should really be. :-)

And yes, the Incorrect Subprogram error message is also part of the design. Line 590 exists, but it's a DATA line, so no subprogram here at all. I'm not even sure if the error message exists with the wording I gave it.

As for the collision detection, if I really introduced "sharp" collision detection, the mouse wouldn't fit in the maze because it's slightly too big. And even if it did fit, it could not move from the start to the finish, because there's actually no way from the start of the finish... it's all dead ends. :-)

So I've left out the collision detection, but I've crossed the joystick axis instead in order to make it a bit harder to play.

And to give it a surprise ending, I included the "deadly" arrow (this, in fact, is the only collision detection) with the even more sloppily drawn mouse explosion and the error message at the end.

Oh, and the distorted "characters" are also designed that way... I intentionally laid the characters making up the sprite somewhere inside of the visible alphabet so that some of the characters displayed get redefined as well.

All in all, I think my game is positioned somewhere between genius (custom speech generated with custom coding tables!) and sheer madness. :-)

You know, that actually looks pretty sharp! :) Maybe TOO sharp for a crap game! :) I like the mouse!

I gave it a run here... the joystick axes are definately crossed and no collision detection - this is clearly the way it's coded! :) I hear the speech (unbelievable!), and then the Incorrect Subprogram in 590... which is ALSO clearly part of the .... you bugger!! ;)

Okay, you get the crap points back! :lol:

OK, you got me. :twisted: Of course all the errors and strange things are introduced intentionally... it should be a crap game, right?

Even the mouse is a bit sloppily drawn and converted... some pixels are off to the original drawing, and in fact even the original drawing is sloppy so you can't quite make out where some of the pixels should really be. :-)

And yes, the Incorrect Subprogram error message is also part of the design. Line 590 exists, but it's a DATA line, so no subprogram here at all. I'm not even sure if the error message exists with the wording I gave it.

As for the collision detection, if I really introduced "sharp" collision detection, the mouse wouldn't fit in the maze because it's slightly too big. And even if it did fit, it could not move from the start to the finish, because there's actually no way from the start of the finish... it's all dead ends. :-)

So I've left out the collision detection, but I've crossed the joystick axis instead in order to make it a bit harder to play.

And to give it a surprise ending, I included the "deadly" arrow (this, in fact, is the only collision detection) with the even more sloppily drawn mouse explosion and the error message at the end.

Oh, and the distorted "characters" are also designed that way... I intentionally laid the characters making up the sprite somewhere inside of the visible alphabet so that some of the characters displayed get redefined as well.

All in all, I think my game is positioned somewhere between genius (custom speech generated with custom coding tables!) and sheer madness. :-)

Oh man, you really got me there :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I started implementation of my game... One of the features of my game isn't really working out like I expected... Holy crap is it terrible! So, I guess that's good.

Game almost done... Would qualify for the SSGC and Crap all in one... Need to tighten up my data for SSGC compatibility.

Edited by unhuman

Well dammit. I woke up with a new idea to de-crapify the game. So I might do that. I wish I were this fast when I was a kid, because I'd've been crankin 'em out. Anyhow, my new game has probably the best death sequence of any game I've ever seen. And I'm not just saying that. Unfortunately, however, I'm not a music-man and I can't get the music (which plays in-game, btw) to sound right.

Well, I started implementation of my game... One of the features of my game isn't really working out like I expected... Holy crap is it terrible! So, I guess that's good.

Game almost done... Would qualify for the SSGC and Crap all in one... Need to tighten up my data for SSGC compatibility.