IGNORED

Your top 3do games...

nashnooga

• 3 weeks later...

Yup I have extra controllers. :thumbsup:

AX

Hey everyone!

Nice to see some other 3do fans out there!!

I wanted to mention something about the 3do games that I didn't see anyone else talk about yet. Many of the games that are available on the 3do that were later ported to other systems, usually the Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation, have features on the 3do that are missing from the ports. For example, in the game "Shockwave" when your fighter launches from the carrier at the beginning of the missions, there is a windshield screen that opens up when you start, this is completely missing from the other ports. Another thing about the 3do is that there was built in memory instead of memory cards like the other systems so games could load bits of themselves into the intenal memory for better playback. An good example of this is the intro video from "GEX". On the 3do it is smooth with no jerkiness in the playback while on the Saturn, when the mechanical fly turns the corner into Gexs den, the video slows to a crawl as it loads. Also the 3do version of "GEX" saves your games to internal memory while the other versions don't have this option. In the "Need for Speed", the 3do version is the only one with the FMV computer opponent dude available, although some people didn't like this feature, I actually really did like it. Actually the 3do version of the "Need for Speed" is the only version that I like of that francise. I have tried most of the other versions of that game and think that they are just a mess.

Anyways, I remember that there are other differences but I cannot recall them at the moment. Just keep in mind that the versions for the 3do system came first so in a number of cases that particular version of a game may include some little features that are unavailable elsewhere.

Have a good time with your 3do!!

AdeptRapier

:)

Yup I have extra controllers. :thumbsup:

AX

Hey everyone!

Nice to see some other 3do fans out there!!

I wanted to mention something about the 3do games that I didn't see anyone else talk about yet. Many of the games that are available on the 3do that were later ported to other systems, usually the Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation, have features on the 3do that are missing from the ports. For example, in the game "Shockwave" when your fighter launches from the carrier at the beginning of the missions, there is a windshield screen that opens up when you start, this is completely missing from the other ports. Another thing about the 3do is that there was built in memory instead of memory cards like the other systems so games could load bits of themselves into the intenal memory for better playback. An good example of this is the intro video from "GEX". On the 3do it is smooth with no jerkiness in the playback while on the Saturn, when the mechanical fly turns the corner into Gexs den, the video slows to a crawl as it loads. Also the 3do version of "GEX" saves your games to internal memory while the other versions don't have this option. In the "Need for Speed", the 3do version is the only one with the FMV computer opponent dude available, although some people didn't like this feature, I actually really did like it. Actually the 3do version of the "Need for Speed" is the only version that I like of that francise. I have tried most of the other versions of that game and think that they are just a mess.

Anyways, I remember that there are other differences but I cannot recall them at the moment. Just keep in mind that the versions for the 3do system came first so in a number of cases that particular version of a game may include some little features that are unavailable elsewhere.

Have a good time with your 3do!!

AdeptRapier

Yeah, you know... having recently got my first 3do from ax, i noticed that it saved w/o a memory card, thought that was pretty sweet. but its too bad from the games that i have play that they are full of shitty fmv, other than that the games so far are sweet. i've been mostly playing road rash and gex. btw, how big is the internal memory on the 3do?

I believe it was 32kb of internal ram. The funny thing is that on the FZ-1 (1st model) there is no built in way to access the memory so you have to use a game that allows access to the memory if you want to delete previous saves. I believe "Off Road interceptor" allows this, for example. The later model, FZ-10 has a built in memory manager that you access from the boot screen. You might have some good game saves on your 3do depending on what games the previous owner had. Try loading games saves when you put your games in and see what happens! I'm not sure if your Goldstar has a memory manager as I never had that model.

By the way, did you get the controllers with the built in headphone jack and volume control? I have always totally loved those things and find them to be some of the most comfortable gamepads I have ever used on any system. If you don't have those models, try and get one and see what you think.

Hey as far as "Shitty FMV" if you want to watch some GREAT FMV, be sure to check out the video from "Off Road Interceptor", trust me it's awesome!

AdeptRapier

Edited by AdeptRapier

A couple of footnotes:

The 3DO - because of its light display when playing audio cd's - was often referred to as the world's most expensive lava lamp!

In addition to its internal memory - memory cards were also available

The Sanyo and Goldstar versions had memory managers built in

and please come and visit us over at 3DO Zero if you want to talk about all things 3DO (and Jag!)