IGNORED

2600tris

atari2600land

I think getting rid of it would be a mistake. Right now most folks are playing it on stella with a keyboard, so 2 player testing would be pretty awkward.

If you're intent to see this one through until its cart-worthy, when its running on real hardware the 2 player option becomes a lot more attractive.

OK, I'll keep it in. This update makes playing in 2-player mode go a lot faster, plus the transition from 2-player to 1-player (when a player gets a game over) is a lot smoother. I also fixed a bug pertaining to the 2-player mode

2600tris_120709v2.bas.bin

2600tris_120709v2.bas

Three things about this build:

1.) It acts like auto-fire is on for every movement, (rotation and side to side).

2.) The speed of a forced drop-down is slower than in previous builds.

3.) The game does not speed up. I got almost 300 lines before I finally decided to quit. ;) ...(It's late and I'm not yet tired).

I'm using z26 in case that matters. Also, I agree that the 2-player feature is definitely nice. It's nice to have, even if it's a rare occasion that I'll have a chance to use it. Maybe someday I'll play 2-player with a wife or kid. I would think it would make the game more attractive for a lot of people.

I sped the game up a little. Level 9 is the fastest it can go without it being impossible to move the pieces in time. I've also added a nifty (IMO) feature: If you toggle the color switch to black and white at the title screen, you can play a game in black and white! I thought, since you can do it in GoSub, why not this game, too?

2600tris_120809.bas.bin

2600tris_120809.bas

I like it. You've really improved the playability and control. I also like the B/W feature. I didn't find any glaring bugs in this version, but I was able to cause a bit of weirdness.

post-9364-126030538765_thumb.png

I did this by intentionally creating a nice little pocket in the stack and then moving a piece into that hole and rotating it as it was trying to lock. I wouldn't worry too much about it because this would not happen during normal gameplay. I was trying to be abusive and see what kind of trouble I could get myself into.

BTW, is there a way to decrease the volume of the music relative to the sound effects, (so that the music would play softer but the sound effects remain the same)? I'm not too familiar with the sound chip's features/limitations.

This project is amazing. I didn't notice the music at first - at least until I accidentally turned it on by fig-iting with the controls (well the function keys).

It would be nice if the music would always default on - and would be disabled if the switch is changed.

I just checked out the latest version (a week late). It looks good. The control is nice and the difficulty is pretty much what I'd expect from a tetris game. :thumbsup:

There is one thing I would change/add. The scoring doesn't care if you get 1 row or 4 rows. It just counts the lines. I'm used to getting bonus points for completing multiple lines at once. I've had to change my playing habits for this version. I have a big habit of setting myself up for tetrises (at least that's what we called em on the gameboy when I was a kid), and in this version there's no incentive to do that. Now, I just try to complete lines and not worry about multiples. It was a hard habit to break. It's been so long since I've played it on the gameboy that I don't remember how it scored, (one tally for lines and another for a points score?). I just know I developed that habit competing with friends for points and I've played the same way on every other version over the years.

As for scoring: It's going to pretty much stay that way, unless there is a way to fit three scores on the screen at once. I figured line counting would be best for a three-digit score, and bB uses a 6-digit score, so I used the trick to cut the score in half. Could ASM be used to put three scores on the screen, or is that just too much for the 2600?

I wonder if anyone would like to program three screens in ASM for me. I'd really like to appease people's want for a second score, but I don't know what to do. Even if I have a line counter and a score counter in one-player mode only, bB can't handle two scores, can it?

Edited by atari2600land

I wonder if anyone would like to program three screens in ASM for me. I'd really like to appease people's want for a second score, but I don't know what to do. Even if I have a line counter and a score counter in one-player mode only, bB can't handle two scores, can it?

You may be able to get it to do that in bB (I don't know very much about bB) but you can definitely do it in assembly, with some flicker.

If you write Player 1's score and line count on the left in frame 1, then Player 2's score and line count on the right in frame 2, you could get something like this.

--Will

post-23222-126112136388_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently nobody has the time to add the line counter and score counter in ASM. That's too bad. Are there any other suggestions?

You could make the different shapes different colors!

(Just kidding. I mean, you could, but that would definitely be an ASM project. And even then, it would be a pain to code.)

Regarding the score, I'm not 100% sure you couldn't do that in bB. If putting them side by side isn't doable, you could always do something like this:

P1SCORE
                       P2SCORE
P1LINES
                       P2LINES

I don't know enough about how bB works to say for sure, but one of the bB experts might be able to comment.

I'd offer to code some ASM for it, but I've got too much on my plate right now as it is, unfortunately.

--Will

Just found this thread and tried the latest version on Stella with the USB joystick. Very nice! The sound effects are a little bit abrasive--too "bonky" when you turn a piece. Can that be changed? Also, a line counter (as you said, only done if you can get ASM help) would be awesome, as would colored blocks. But nice work! I would love to see this on cart. Keep up the good work--this is impressive for dB.